Windows 10: Can't delete a file even though I own it

Discus and support Can't delete a file even though I own it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IsabelChen1, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Can't delete a file even though I own it

I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random music.

I figured out the location of these programs, located in two folders in Local Disk C: and have tried to delete them. It prevented me from doing so, giving me the message that I needed permission from someone named "TrustedInstaller" in order to do so. Following instructions from another question thread in the community, I gave myself ownership of the folders as well as full control under permissions. I am the administrator as well.

But when I go back and try to delete the folder again, it gives me the message "You require permission from DESKTOP-7FSF\isabe to make changes to this folder" which is odd because user "isabe" is me. Other times it has also given me the same message but saying that I required permission from the administrator. I am both user isabe and the administrator, so this doesn't make sense.

It's also kind of weird that isabe and Administrator shows up as two different users that can possibly take ownership of the folders when I open Properties for both, even though my one account should be both isabe and Administrator.

Help?

:)

IsabelChen1, Jul 11, 2019
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jul 11, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Can't delete a file even though I own it

Delete and Cut Files with Preview Pane Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you tried to delete the pdf file in preview panel?
    • What exactly happens when try to delete the pdf file?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.

• Select View and click on preview panel.

• Select the pdf file.

• At the right corner you will be able to see preview panel.

• You can right click on it and delete the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Can't delete a file even though I own it

1. Can't delete a file even though I own it - Similar Threads - Can't delete file

2. I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open my own files saying that I don't have permission even though I do.: ttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-files-as-admin-cant-give-self/5e447a56-01e5-47b5-bfe7-86858d5c8853 none of these solutions worked and I have full acces to the files but I can't seem to open half of them saying that I might not have the...
  3. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  4. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  5. Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.: Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to delete/move it. When I press "Continue", it tells me that I need permission from myself. I'm...
  6. HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!: [ATTACH] I can't delete this file, even though I have admin. I've tried to change the security permissions, but it doesn't work. Please help!...
  7. Can't delete or save files in the documents, photos and videos folders even though I own them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete or save files in the documents, photos and videos folders even though I own them: Every other folder works fine but those three folders and one or two others are stuck on hidden and I or any of my games are unable to edit or save files within them. Even though I own the folders. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/SlashedFall51 [link]...
  8. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  9. I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin: I like to download/install files and .exe files to mod games. I'm safe with what and where I download files and from whom I download them. However, *for some files*, whenever I want to delete or move a file, I get a message saying I don't have permission and I need admin...
  10. I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership

I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership: I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership [ATTACH] but [ATTACH] I got this file while installing cheat engine and now i cannot uninstall it. I think its a virus or malware. Please help me. Should i wash my computer????? (i have important stuff) I also...