Windows 10: Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am...

Discus and support Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a bit of a problem in Windows 10. I have a file from Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 that I want to delete but it says that I need permission... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterStrouhal Jr., Dec 31, 2018.

1. Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am...

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem in Windows 10. I have a file from Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 that I want to delete but it says that I need permission from the administrator but I am. I also wanted to change the permissions in Properties and than the Security tab but it told me I can't because I am not an administrator. Help?

Specs of computer:

• Latest version of Windows 10 Home (not insider)
    • Acer Aspire 5
    • Windows defender Protected Folder (Ransomware protection) on
    • Installation less then 14 days old

Help please?

** Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have no idea where to put it**

:)

PeterStrouhal Jr., Dec 31, 2018
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    Code:
    icacls "C:" /t /c /q /RESET
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    Code:
    icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am... wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am...

Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am administrator

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem in Windows 10. I have a file from Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 that I want to delete but it says that I need permission from the administrator but I am. I also wanted to change the permissions in Properties and than the Security tab
    but it told me I can't because I am not an administrator. Help?

Specs of computer:

• Latest version of Windows 10 Home (not insider)
    • Acer Aspire 5
    • Windows defender Protected Folder (Ransomware protection) on
    • Installation less then 14 days old

Help please?

** Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have no idea where to put it**

PeterStrouhal Jr., Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am...

1. Can't delete a file on Windows 10, says I need permission from administrator but I am... - Similar Threads - Can't delete file

2. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?: How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-file-that-needs-administrator/e01eecd7-57b2-4d8c-9e92-31d4870533fc
  3. I am trying to delete files on my computer, and it says I need permission.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to delete files on my computer, and it says I need permission.: Some files I am able to delete but some will say I need permission from the "system" or the "admin" my user account is setup as an admin. I do not have any other accounts on my pc so curious why it says I need permission from another user....
  4. I am trying to delete files on my computer, and it says I need permission.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to delete files on my computer, and it says I need permission.: Some files I am able to delete but some will say I need permission from the "system" or the "admin" my user account is setup as an admin. I do not have any other accounts on my pc so curious why it says I need permission from another user....
  5. I am trying to delete files on my computer, and it says I need permission.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.

Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.: I dont know why these administrator permissions exist but anyway, I tried to delete some files in a program and it wouldnt let me because I need permissions from the administrator, someone please help!...
  7. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  8. Administrator permission needed to delete file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permission needed to delete file: I am the administrator I am trying to delete a file, and it says I need administrator permission to delete the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-needed-to-delete-file/eefb5972-37ec-455e-9ed5-ee37c18ce6ba
  9. Cannot delete files, message says I need permission from Admin, I AM admin

Cannot delete files, message says I need permission from Admin, I AM admin: Cannot delete files, message says I need permission from Admin, I AM admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-files-message-says-i-need-permission/e1d1a038-392a-4c25-b67d-b0c8abbca557"
  10. I want to delete a file but it needs an administration permission

I want to delete a file but it needs an administration permission: Hi hope you can help me I need to delete a file from OS but I need to have administration permission and I don't know how to find it, the file I am deleting has been save on the PC as my PC has a partition, OS and D file many thanks if anyone can help me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete file need administrator permission

2. why do I require permission to delete files on my computer when I am the administrator

3. i cant delete a file on windows 10

4. folder is saying I need administrative rights but I dohave,
  5. why do i not hasve permission im the administrator,
  6. not able to delete a file in windows saying dont have admin rights,
  7. I am the administrator when I clik delet I do not have authorization,
  8. windows 10 cannot delete file admin,
  9. cant delete files administrator windows 10,
  10. how to delete files and folders when win 10 says it needs administrators persmission,
  11. why cant delete file as says locked by administrator,
  12. win 10 cancelfiles require adminpermission but im admin,
  13. windows delete file as admin,
  14. cant delete s folder says i need adminstrator permission on windows 10,
  15. windows says i need admin rights when i am the administrator