Windows 10: Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

Discus and support Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a file in the videos folder, the full path is "C:\Users\Tony\Videos\vlc-record-2019-09-09-17h35m00s-André Rieu & Mirusia - Time To Say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tpriest, Apr 15, 2020.

1. tpriest Win User

Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

I have a file in the videos folder, the full path is

"C:\Users\Tony\Videos\vlc-record-2019-09-09-17h35m00s-André Rieu & Mirusia - Time To Say Goodbye-DVbOxh7tQCc.mkv-.mkv"

a total of 116 characters (excluding quotes).

The apparent file properties are odd, size is 16.1KB (16,536 bytes) but the video length is given as 04:16:53. Clearly one or both of these is wrong.

Permissions look normal and ok.

When I try to delete the file - Explorer, FileAssassin, Del command from elevated Command prompt - the deleting program hangs. Trying to Rename, change properties, etc. produces a similar result.

Whilst the file is not occupying much space I do try to keep things tidy and would like to deleted the file.

Any thoughts?

:)

tpriest, Apr 15, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Can't delete a video file from my foldier

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to try deleting the video file in safe mode and check if it allows you to delete the file. If issue persist, try deleting it after taking full permission of video file. To do so, kindly follow the below given steps:

• Right click on the file and click on Properties.

• Click on Security, check Owner should be "SYSTEM" in
        Advance tab.

• Now check the save for C:\Users\<username>

• Owner should also be "SYSTEM"

• Check the users you signed into windows as (should be your Microsoft account) should be in the "Permissions entries" list with "Full Contol"

• If not, Add the user you are logged in as.

• All the folders and sub-folders below should be "owned" by the user you are logged into windows with
        importantly, have a permissions entry for "full control"

• Check for all the related folder where you are getting same error, but for some reason that same user is missing a "Permission Entry". Add a "full control" entry for the user and you should be able
        to save to that folder and all sub-folders

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

Security tab in folder properties just disappeared

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

• Is the issue specific to any particular file or folder?

I suggest you to restore the Folder properties to default and check if it helps.

Steps:-

• Windows Key + E and click View.
    • Select Option and choose "Change folder and search options"
    • Go to View tab and Restore defaults.

If you still face the issue, try running a System File Checker (SFC) Scan on the system and check if it helps.

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption the
    sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to run SFC scan on your computer.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

1. Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder - Similar Threads - Can't delete change

2. Can't Delete Video File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Delete Video File?: I can't delete a video file I downloaded. When I click delete or drag to the recycle bin, I get a window that gets stuck at "Preparing to Recycle" and nothing happens. I can't even delete the folder it is in.I tried FileAssasin on the file and it just crashes. I checked...
  3. Can't Delete Video File?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Delete Video File?: I can't delete a video file I downloaded. When I click delete or drag to the recycle bin, I get a window that gets stuck at "Preparing to Recycle" and nothing happens. I can't even delete the folder it is in.I tried FileAssasin on the file and it just crashes. I checked...
  4. Can't Delete Video File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't find file system properties

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't find file system properties: Hi, I am on windows 20H2. I can't find the "file system properties" described herehttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/disabling-the-write-behind-caching-setting-does-not-disable-all-write-behind-caching-on-the-system-78592eac-fab2-5043-296b-744e032a1cc4Is it just me or...
  6. etc file deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    etc file deleted: I accidentaly deleted the etc folder. Is there any possible way to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/etc-file-deleted/d0f0fa26-c28b-44f0-9e11-4d8fcfa57d1b
  7. Deleted users' system folders were changed to system files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted users' system folders were changed to system files: I am using version 1903 build 18362.535. In version 1809, whenever I removed the system assigned "My..." user folders, Windows restored them occasionally. Now in 1903, I removed them and Windows replaced the folders with "system files". So now the My Documents .etc . . files...
  8. Video editor these files have properties that can't be read

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Video editor these files have properties that can't be read: I'm trying to add an mp4 video but the message "these files have properties that can't be read" appears. submitted by /u/drew_789359 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/doseq3/video_editor_these_files_have_properties_that/
  9. Deleting .ETC files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting .ETC files: I came across a folder which was reported as empty and tried to delete it. I had to take ownership but still could not delete it --- then found it had around 10 MB of .ETC log files relating to such things as incorrect shutdown from last year and this year. Can I delete these...
  10. Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.: I am running the current Windows 10 build or a desktop as admin. When I right click file ==> properties and click on the details tab, I cannot seem to change the rating 1-5 stars, genre and the like. I did extensive googling on this and the most common sulution is to use a...