Windows 10: Can't delete file on Desktop

Discus and support Can't delete file on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There is a rar file on my desktop which I can not delete. It was from a wallpaper pack I was downloading from MEGA but I had cancelled it before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TechGuy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. TechGuy Win User

Can't delete file on Desktop

There is a rar file on my desktop which I can not delete. It was from a wallpaper pack I was downloading from MEGA but I had cancelled it before it finished. Now it is on my desktop and no matter what I do it won't be deleted. I am not able to press delete as it says it needs Administrator permissions even though I am the only user. I even enabled Administrator account and it still said that I didn't have permission to read the file or delete it. I tried using CMD del /f also but it didnt work. I ran CCleaner Registry cleaner and AVG PC Tuneup registry cleaner but none of them helped. What do I do to get rid of this?

-Edit 1: I forgot to mention if I do Shift delete I am able to get rid of the icon but when I refresh it comes back

:)

TechGuy, Jun 18, 2017
  2. eyore15 Win User

Where oh where did my recycle bin go?

I was deleting files off my desktop and accidentally deleted the recycle bin. I can't find it now.

If I search for recycle it shows up, but I can't figure out how to put it back on my desktop

Help?

mark

eyore15, Jun 18, 2017
  3. Can't delete desktop files in Windows10

Windows Powershell has replaced Command Prompt in Start.

Right-click Empty area of Taskbar>Choose Properties and uncheck the Slider

"Use Powershell instead of CMD"

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Can't delete file on Desktop

You've probably tried using File Explorer and "Permanently delete" as opposed to sending it to the Recycle Bin?

Wiley Coyote, Jun 18, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    Possibly your browser has it 'locked' to resume download?

Edwin, Jun 18, 2017
  6. TechGuy Win User
    Ok It deleted itself when I restarted the PC. I dont think anything was locking it though as I tried the unlocker and it said nothing was using it.

TechGuy, Jun 18, 2017
  7. Can't delete file on Desktop

Everytime I use it, says the same thing but then it is gone??

Josey Wales, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't delete file on Desktop

1. Can't delete file on Desktop - Similar Threads - Can't delete file

2. Can't delete URL file off of desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete URL file off of desktop: I have a url file on my desktop and i cant delete it. every time i try it just stays there and i tried every possible method mentioned on the internet. i cannot move it to another folder nor edit it. it just stays on my desktop. please help....
  3. Can't delete a file from my desktop

Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  4. Can't delete a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  5. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  6. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  7. Can't delete files on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete files on desktop: Hi I've had this problem for a while now...I can't delete or move items on my desktop unless I restart my PC. Please don't post links on how to set permissions, I've tried that MANY times. It does say I don't have permission but I'm the ONLY user and it works fine after...
  8. Can't delete files from my desktop

Can't delete files from my desktop: I saved 2 files as PDFs. I couldn't rename them and now I cannot delete them from the desk top. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-delete-files-from-my-desktop/e94377c9-6ed5-4b7b-9aec-c0dab6d14ba7"
  9. Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop: Hey all, I'm looking for advice on how to fix this strange problem: I cannot delete a subgroup of files from my desktop. - If I create a new file (using Notepad) I can easily delete the file - I can move an offending file to another folder but am still unable to delete it -...
  10. I can't delete certain file on desktop

I can't delete certain file on desktop: Half year ago, my teacher sent me a compressed package file which is compressed in MAC system with her Apple Mac computer. When I unzipped it, I got this just in this figure. And no matter how hard to delete it, it didn't work. I thought maybe it would disappear when Windows...