Windows 10: CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!

Discus and support CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I got the infamous black screen with cursor that everyone hates. But this one was stubborn and resisted any solutions I found online. So I gave up and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AbrahamValdes, Jul 25, 2019.

1. CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!

I got the infamous black screen with cursor that everyone hates. But this one was stubborn and resisted any solutions I found online. So I gave up and chose system reset with keeping my files. After that everything was looking fine, but I was having issues deleting shortcuts. I was surprised since this has never happened before. Note that only files that were kept after the reset couldn't be deleted. I am confused as files I download now I can delete but not the ones carried over the reset. Troubleshooter didn't do squat. I also don't get a error message for trying to delete files. I can do a full reset if I had too, but I just want answers please. This is bugging me. Thanks.

:)

AbrahamValdes, Jul 25, 2019
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!

Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!

1. CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET! - Similar Threads - CAN'T DELETE FILES

2. Question about apps not deleting after system resetting. Win11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about apps not deleting after system resetting. Win11.: Hey, after encountering several system failures on win11, i decided to reset the windows with "keep my files" option. It warned me about soon to be deleted apps and i agreed, expected them to be deleted after resetting. However, some a alot of my orginal apps are still there...
  3. Resetting C drive permissions after deleting ‘SYSTEM’

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resetting C drive permissions after deleting ‘SYSTEM’: I accidentally changed the permissions for the C drive, deleting the Group/User ‘SYSTEM’. I have performed a reset and the permissions haven’t been restored to default. Please advise on how to correct this. Thank you! submitted by /u/blacknightcat [link] [comments]...
  4. Resetting C drive permissions after deleting 'SYSTEM'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Resetting C drive permissions after deleting 'SYSTEM': I accidentally changed the permissions for the C drive, deleting the Group/user 'SYSTEM'. I have performed a reset and the permissions haven't been restored to default. Screenshot below. Please advise on how to correct this. Thank you! [ATTACH]...
  5. What files will be deleted after a reset?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What files will be deleted after a reset?: I want to reset my PC, but I have some important files on the I: drive. When I choose keep my files will only the files on C: saved or all files? And also is there a difference between resetting it with a cloud download and local installion (what’s better?) Thanks submitted...
  6. Can't reset system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reset system: I have a Windows 8 HP laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 a few years ago. I just finally dug it out to play been laying around since 2017some games and decided to reset it, but it always ended up reverting the changes. Then i tried to reinstall it using media tools and a...
  7. Deleted system files

Deleted system files: Dell latitude e6500 windows 10, i deleted a lot of dII, system32 and sysWOW64 files.. some for example are: mscoreei.exe, cmp.exe cmp.key, java and all its files, explorer.exe, framework cant rememberthe file names, administrative settings, msconfig, legacy and UEFI files,...
  8. Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files"

Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files": My laptop wouldn't let me log in this morning, so after a variety of troublshooting methods, I decided to do a system reset. Of course I chose the "Keep my files" option as it was too late at this point to transfer them to an external hard drive as I would normally do before...
  9. system files to delete

system files to delete: There are 3 boxes that refer to Win 10 installation and when you try to delete them it says you will not be able to go back to your previous OS. It is substantial space as I believe one box contains something like x amount of GB's. I have imaged Win 10 so I think could...
  10. System 32 Deleted after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Support
    System 32 Deleted after Factory Reset: ( I attached the picture of the message I get when I start computer up to the post) So one day I decided to do a factory reset on my ASUS DESKTOP PC and when I did the factory reset it also deleted my windows I assume? So now everytime I turn on my computer I get straight...