Windows 10: Can't delete files if Preview Pane open in Win. Explorer

Discus and support Can't delete files if Preview Pane open in Win. Explorer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all Just thought I'd throw this in - not sure if it relates to recent "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" (Anniversary Upgrade) or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ausgumbie, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ausgumbie Win User

Can't delete files if Preview Pane open in Win. Explorer

Hi all

Just thought I'd throw this in - not sure if it relates to recent "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" (Anniversary Upgrade) or the more recent "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936)". However, I haven't noted this particular problem until today.

At one point this evening I suddenly found I wasn't able to delete pdf files - I kept getting the familiar little box saying that I couldn't delete the file, it was open "in another program" or "being used by another program" - something like that.

After a bit of fiddling and fretting I suddenly thought of the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer. I changed it to Details Pane on the View Tab and things returned to normal.

Can't delete files if Preview Pane open in Win. Explorer [​IMG]

Anyone else had this or am I on my own? Anyhoo, I pass it on.

Cheers
    *Smile

:)

ausgumbie, Sep 4, 2016

2. explorer file preview pane in windows 10

»Open Windows explorer Win+E »Click: View »Preview Pane »Preview Pane again to hide

»Repeat for panes you want hidden

SabrinaMarie1979, Sep 4, 2016
  3. MadasHell Win User
    Unable to delete files in Explorer

I cannot delete files in windows 10 file explorer because of the damn "preview pane" . I am told the file cannot be deleted because it is "in use". DUYYH!!! It's in use because it's previewing it. I can't (or don't know how to eliminate the g&&^%m preview
    pane so that I can delete a fricking file. I have to MOVE the file to desktop and then delete it from there. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!! I AM

MAD AS ****

MadasHell, Sep 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this occurs with Acrobat Reader. It's not a Windows problem per se. I use Sumatra and don't have that problem. This is discussed at some length on a recent thread- you're welcome to search or browse for that.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  5. ausgumbie Win User
    ausgumbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't delete files if Preview Pane open in Win. Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't delete files

2. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Preview Pane: Hi allI'm having an issue with the preview pane in File Explorer.I can turn the pane on like normal, however sometimes the navigation buttons for the preview pane move the ones to click to next page etc.Sometimes they are at the top of the file and sometimes they are below....
  3. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Preview Pane: Hi allI'm having an issue with the preview pane in File Explorer.I can turn the pane on like normal, however sometimes the navigation buttons for the preview pane move the ones to click to next page etc.Sometimes they are at the top of the file and sometimes they are below....
  4. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Preview Pane in File Explorer

Preview Pane in File Explorer: Does anyone know why my Previrew Pane is showing an Index?***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane-in-file-explorer/bd53d4ec-158c-43c0-a519-6a5840634053
  6. Win 11 File Explorer Preview Pane Inconsistent Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer Preview Pane Inconsistent Behavior: Upgraded from Win10 Pro to Win11 Pro ver 21H2 build 22000.438 recently. File Explorer Preview pane works fine for MS Office documents, PDF in all folders and subfolders. But not for the bmp, png files and inconsistent for JPG files.It works for some JPG files but not for...
  7. file explorer preview pane crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer preview pane crashing: Late last week, in file explorer with preview pane set to on, file explorer crashes/freezes when any document is selected. I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362. 148355
  8. No file preview in the preview pane and file explore

No file preview in the preview pane and file explore: This is an ongoing, intermittent problem. For no apparent reason, my documents well stop being previewed in the previewed pain of file Explorer. Today, Word docs are previewing, but it takes a long time for them to appear. PDF docs are not previewing at all. Yesterday,...
  9. Issues with Preview Pane in File Explorer.

Issues with Preview Pane in File Explorer.: in file explorer, the only preview images that show are ones imported from my android phone. there are no preview images whatsoever showing for photos previously imported from my windows 8 phone, either from pictures subfolders or from onedrive pictures folder. have tried...
  10. file explorer preview pane

file explorer preview pane: Problem I`m having is the preview pane will show pdf`s fine, but will not preview jpegs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane/3166cd80-4954-4b11-8def-bf594a2d9831"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. help in file explorer - delete files with preview pane open