Windows 10: Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp

Discus and support Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A tech from Kaspersky was able to easily remove all the files on my windows 10 computer. No problem. He told me to do this periodically. But when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JEHildebrand, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp

A tech from Kaspersky was able to easily remove all the files on my windows 10 computer. No problem. He told me to do this periodically. But when I went to do it, and went to c:\windows\temp, every time I tried, it wanted permission from System. I read your article, but it was totally unhelpful! Even trying to remove them one at a time (which is ridiculous), I couldn't do so. There has to be a better way. I am the owner of the computer, and it even says so when I clicked on "Advanced." But that was no good. If a tech in Malaysia can do it, I should be able to do it!

:)

JEHildebrand, Jul 24, 2019

2. Win 10 - Folder and files in C:\Windows\Temp\NC5pBB

Thank you for the suggestions.

To answer your question as to what happened when this was first seen,

• updated Win10 with the anniversary update
    • my antivirus notified about a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file, which was quarantined and subsequently I deleted through the antivirus
    Now I see that there is a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file there, which the antivirus says is clean and I can delete, but I cannot delete the C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\ folder!

From your suggestions:

1. Run the sfc /scannow command

It came back with:

W i n d o w s R e s o u r c e P r o t e c t i o n d i d n o t f i n d a n y i n t e g r i t y v i o l a t i o n s .

2. Rebooted

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

3. Did a clean boot

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

4. Did a regular boot

The NC5pBB folder came back, with a bunch of contents similar to the original post.

I was able to delete the folder and its contents.

The tmp00000000 file came back and I was able to delete it.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

sec&msft, Jul 24, 2019
  3. These temp files will not delete

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you are unable to delete temp files on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better understanding of your issue, answer the query below:

• Do you receive any prompt or error code?
    • What happens, when you try to delete temp files?
    I suggest you to follow these methods below and check, if it works:

Method 1:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "temp" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "%temp%" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode, then perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

I suggest you to refer the article and check, if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Let's try to perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Jul 24, 2019
  4. Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp

Deleting temp files in Windows 10. Also computer slower with Windows 10.

Hello Yves,

We understand that you would like to delete your Temp files from Windows 10 system:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to delete the temp files in Windows 10.

• a. Press Windows + R key,

b. Type temp and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.

c. Select all and delete.

d. Press Windows + R key,

e. Type %temp% and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.

f. Select all and delete.

g. Press Windows + R key,

h. Type Prefetch and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.

I. Select all and delete.
    Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp

1. Can't delete files in c:\windows\temp - Similar Threads - Can't delete files

2. Can't delete a large zip file form C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a large zip file form C drive: Hello,I'm trying to delete a zip file from Drive C, but no luck so far. the file is about 13 GB.I tried with CMD, PowerShell, and Safe mode. Nothing.With normal deletion, the process gets blocked at "calculating".Any ideas?The last solution would be to remove the SSD and...
  3. Can't delete a large zip file form C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete a large zip file form C drive: Hello,I'm trying to delete a zip file from Drive C, but no luck so far. the file is about 13 GB.I tried with CMD, PowerShell, and Safe mode. Nothing.With normal deletion, the process gets blocked at "calculating".Any ideas?The last solution would be to remove the SSD and...
  4. Can't delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a file: I can't delete a file from my desktop - I either get an error code that the file isn't empty, the file isn't synchronized or that I don't have permission to delete the file. I changed the administrator permissions so that I have full control of the folder but I still can't...
  5. can't delete file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete file: [ATTACH] The last time i played Forza i downloaded it thru the Microsoft store but they've changed it when i deleted the game it left the program file and i can't delete it is there a way around this?...
  6. Delete files C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete files C Drive: I have 6 files in my C drive. I am wondering if I can delete. If I can, what is the best way to do this? Such as in Safe Mode. See picture I have run the Disk Cleanup and rebooted and they are still there. I have Windows 10 Pro 2004 [ATTACH] I believe they were put...
  7. can't delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    can't delete file: I've been deleting files like this every week for a couple of years. They're backup files and large so I must delete one to make a new backup. The file is on an external drive. When I try to delete it I get the message "Folder access denied" (it's not a folder, it's a file)...
  8. Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\: I want to delete a folder in my C:\ProgramData\ loaction but it says I need premission from myself (DESKTOP-2B48AAE\Temren) who is me. I am the only user of this machine and there is no one else who uses it. There is only 2 users one me and the other ASP.NET Machine account...
  9. Can't delete files!

Can't delete files!: For some weird reason, sometimes I can't delete files on my desktop. Says I don't have permission! I'm the only user and have checked all the usual permission places. I have full control. If I restart the PC it's fine again. Can't save any work to the desktop either. All my...
  10. Can't delete files?

Can't delete files?: I installed GIMP yesterday to try editing on it, didn't like it so I deleted it. Didn't delete or uninstall it properly so now whenever I search GIMP in my library in the THIS PC tab it has a bunch of files that I can't delete. I'll put pictures because I'm not good with...