Windows 10: Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

Discus and support Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When trying to delete a folder that someone synced to their OneDrive, it gives the following error:"The tag present in the reparse point buffer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RJO22, Jan 29, 2023.

1. RJO22 Win User

Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

When trying to delete a folder that someone synced to their OneDrive, it gives the following error:"The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"I've already chkdsk'd the C drive and there's no issues. I've tried to robocopy a blank folder of the same name over it and robocopy gives the same error mentioned above. rmdir /s says "The directory is not empty". I've booted into Safe Mode and tried again to delete the file, rmdir, and the robocopy again, same result. Have tried all this both from a standard cmd and an elevated cmd with the same results. OneDrive sync was disabled for

:)

RJO22, Jan 29, 2023
  2. Enze Soh Win User

The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

I have certain folders in my OneDrive that I'd like to delete but I am unable to do so. Attempting to access these folders would give the error "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid".

I have attempted to use Window's Error Checking through right clicking drive C, Properties, Tools, Error Checking.

I have also attempted to follow solutions found online such as using chkdsk and the DISM functions through command prompt.

Currently, I receive the message "Scanning and repairing drive C" on every boot but I am unsure if this process is actually being executed because it does not show any progress bar/percentages. The message pops up for a couple of seconds before my pc boots as normal.

How am I suppose to resolve this?

“***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***”

Enze Soh, Jan 29, 2023
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 29, 2023
  4. Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

Hi, I’m Nicole, I’ll be happy to help you out today.

The error message you get is caused by a problem with OneDrive sync. It could be that the folder you're trying to access is corrupt, or that there is an issue with other system files preventing OneDrive from syncing successfully.

Check this link for reference. Do skip the ones you have already done so far.

https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-the-tag-present-i...

Report back the results here afterward.

Thank you.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before downloading and installing it.

Nicole Aljecera, Jan 29, 2023
Thema:

Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

1. Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" - Similar Threads - Can't delete folder

2. Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid": When trying to delete a folder that someone synced to their OneDrive, it gives the following error:"The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"I've already chkdsk'd the C drive and there's no issues. I've tried to robocopy a blank folder of the same name over it...
  3. Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete folder because "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid": When trying to delete a folder that someone synced to their OneDrive, it gives the following error:"The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"I've already chkdsk'd the C drive and there's no issues. I've tried to robocopy a blank folder of the same name over it...
  4. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working: So I'm getting this error when trying to open a folder on my onedrive. I cannot delete, move it or anything. I saw thatIt has been asked and answered online before, so I tried the solutions.Things I've tried:chkdsk :C /f /r --> restart and yes the affacted folder is on the C:...
  5. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: I have certain folders in my OneDrive that I'd like to delete but I am unable to do so. Attempting to access these folders would give the error "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid".I have attempted to use Window's Error Checking through right clicking...
  6. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: I have certain folders in my OneDrive that I'd like to delete but I am unable to do so. Attempting to access these folders would give the error "The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid".I have attempted to use Window's Error Checking through right clicking...
  7. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: A folder in my onedrive randomly bugged out - not allowing any actions like renaming etci know this is a common issue but none of the previous fixes worked for me.Also a weird thing is as long as i keep the file in a folder i can move that folder as long as it stays on the...
  8. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: A folder in my onedrive randomly bugged out - not allowing any actions like renaming etci know this is a common issue but none of the previous fixes worked for me.Also a weird thing is as long as i keep the file in a folder i can move that folder as long as it stays on the...
  9. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: I am using a corporate computer so I can't run cmd as administrator. Any other solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-tag-present-in-the-reparse-point-buffer-is/6748fdd9-f3f2-4d2d-aaae-60e2d06f5a65
  10. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid

The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid: I am using a corporate computer so I can't run cmd as administrator. Any other solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-tag-present-in-the-reparse-point-buffer-is/6748fdd9-f3f2-4d2d-aaae-60e2d06f5a65