Windows 10: Can't delete folders with long path names

Discus and support Can't delete folders with long path names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wdh_it, May 1, 2021.

1. wdh_it Win User

Can't delete folders with long path names

I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive, as in it synchronizes to it. The actual folder path is something like:"C:\Users\FirstName.LastName\OneDrive - Company with a Long Name Pty Ltd\Documents\etc. etc."I didn't want to sync so started deleting stuff. Some folder could not be deleted and my guess was that the directory path is too long.I then went to "View online" from the OneDrive notification icon and deleted from here ... but it's still showing up in Windows Expl

:)

wdh_it, May 1, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, May 1, 2021
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't delete folders with long path names :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't delete folders with long path names :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, May 1, 2021
  4. Can't delete folders with long path names

File Name Path is too long

There are various solutions. The simplest consists of picking a specific folder in the path that has a long name, then temporarily rename it to "1". After deleing the file you can restore the original path name. If this is insufficient then there are more
    powerful solutions.

You should put your information into the files themselves, not into the path. Note that the first paragraph in my reply (which is quite chatty) contains 275 characters. That's a lot of text!

Frederik Long, May 1, 2021
Thema:

Can't delete folders with long path names

1. Can't delete folders with long path names - Similar Threads - Can't delete folders

2. Deleting recursive folders - file path too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting recursive folders - file path too long: When trying to remove certain recursive folders, I get this error.rmdir : The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. At line:1 char:1 + rmdir FolderName+ ~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : WriteError: C:\Users\... [Remove-Item], IOException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...
  3. Deleting recursive folders - file path too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting recursive folders - file path too long: When trying to remove certain recursive folders, I get this error.rmdir : The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. At line:1 char:1 + rmdir FolderName+ ~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : WriteError: C:\Users\... [Remove-Item], IOException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...
  4. Deleting recursive folders - file path too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting recursive folders - file path too long: When trying to remove certain recursive folders, I get this error.rmdir : The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. At line:1 char:1 + rmdir GoK + ~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : WriteError: C:\Users\... [Remove-Item], IOException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  7. Zip folder path too long

Zip folder path too long: I tried copying over a file that was sent to me through a zip folder but it won't copy because it says the path is too long. I searched this site to find an answer, but I don't understand it. The response to someone's questions was by telling them to shorten the name of the...
  8. Long path names on Windows 10 Home.

Long path names on Windows 10 Home.: Does Windows 10 Home support long path names? Simply changing the LongPathsEnabled to 1 and rebooting doesn't work. I need to work with long paths in Windows Word and I have Word 365....
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...