Windows 10: Can’t delete/format the selected partition when installing win10 from usb

Discus and support Can’t delete/format the selected partition when installing win10 from usb in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to reinstall win10 to my laptop because my laptop cant start. I downloaded the ISO directly from Microsoft onto a usb pen. When it asked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShayD1, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ShayD1 Win User

Can’t delete/format the selected partition when installing win10 from usb

I am trying to reinstall win10 to my laptop because my laptop cant start. I downloaded the ISO directly from Microsoft onto a usb pen.

When it asked me where to install windows, I selected the biggest one directly but then it said windows couldn’t format a partition on disk 0. Then I tried to delete or format the existed partition and it said We couldnt delete the selected partition Error 0x8007045d.

So i cant delete and create new partition as what other solutions suggest...... HELP...

:)

ShayD1, Sep 16, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 16, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Error: We couldn't delete the selected partition. [Error: 0x800701b1] when trying to delete partition during Windows 10 installation

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will need the following information from you to help you further:

• How are you trying to install Windows?
    • Which partition are you trying to delete?

In the meantime, you can refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Formatting the partition

If you are trying to delete one particular partition, you can format the partition and see if that helps. To format the partition, on the installation screen select the partition that you want to format and click on
    Format.

Method 2: Using Diskpart command

If you are performing a clean installation on the computer and want to delete all the partitions from the computer, you may try using the Diskpart commands. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. On the installation screen press Shift key + F10 to open Command Prompt.
    2. Type Diskpart and hit Enter.
    3. Type list disk.
    4. Type select disk 0.
    5. Type clean.
    6. Now, close command prompt window and continue installation.
    Note: Running clean command will erase all the information from the hard drive.

For more information on performing a clean installation, please refer the article

How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide
    created by PaulSey...

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Can’t delete/format the selected partition when installing win10 from usb - Similar Threads - Can’t delete format

2. When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions?: When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-reinstalling-windows-from-a-usb-will-my-drive/ecc9d0c2-7d07-4fa7-a7c7-4f98627578ef
  3. When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions?: When reinstalling windows from a usb, will my drive be formatted when I delete all partitions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-reinstalling-windows-from-a-usb-will-my-drive/ecc9d0c2-7d07-4fa7-a7c7-4f98627578ef
  4. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  5. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  6. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Properly partitioning formating ect... when using advance install from usb windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Properly partitioning formating ect... when using advance install from usb windows 10: i thought windows 10 was smaller how come I had more space on my drive the first time I installed it from usb what did i do wrong in the drive disk partitions when i advance installed from usb i have 4 partitions i think most of them small one of them 28.7gb so its a laptop...
  8. Properly partitioning formating ect... when using advance install from usb windows 10

Properly partitioning formating ect... when using advance install from usb windows 10: i thought windows 10 was smaller how come I had more space on my drive the first time I installed it from usb what did i do wrong in the drive disk partitions when i advance installed from usb i have 4 partitions i think most of them small one of them 28.7gb so its a laptop...
  9. Can’t delete other partitions - how to install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t delete other partitions - how to install?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/gb013 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic9lw2/cant_delete_other_partitions_how_to_install/
  10. Deleting or Formatting a Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleting or Formatting a Partition: Hi all I have just reinstalled Win10 on our PC but installed it to the wrong partition. Now it won't let me delete or format the d drive because it holds system files/folders. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it ? Many thanks 99593

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com