Windows 10: Can't delete old computer admin user file? Please help

Discus and support Can't delete old computer admin user file? Please help in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About 20 minutes ago i uninstalled the old computer admin profile to free up space, and made my other account an admin. I fiund out that it had not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BiancaTU, Feb 20, 2021.

1. BiancaTU Win User

Can't delete old computer admin user file? Please help

About 20 minutes ago i uninstalled the old computer admin profile to free up space, and made my other account an admin. I fiund out that it had not deleted the user folder even though I'm sure I pressed the delete files option, and now I can't delete the folder because it keeps telling me it's open in something else or tells me that I don't have permission

Please help

Can't delete old computer admin user file? Please help [​IMG]

:)

BiancaTU, Feb 20, 2021

2. Specific Questions about Deleting Old User Accounts AND Their Files

Hey guys,

I have very specific questions and will outline the scenario leading up to them.

I created a new user account (new admin) due to previous user account corruption.

I have two drives, C, and D.

D is where my Documents, Videos etc libraries are.

C is my boot and program drive, and where my new user account's default libraries were.

I have pointed my new user account's libraries to drive D, so that I have access to those libraries in quick access and so that it is easier to navigate to them. Drive D is my HDD whereas drive C is my boot and program drive hence why I use drive D for files.

Now, I no longer need the old corrupted user account.

• Whom is the owner of the drive D files currently, prior to deletion of the old user account?
    • If I delete the old user account AND delete their files, will this delete all of the files on drive D, despite them being pointed to from my new user account?
    • Or if I delete the old user account and delete the files, will nothing happen to the files, and solely the old user account and residual login files be deleted?

• If I delete the old user account and keep the files, will my new user account become the owner?
    • Furthermore if I delete the old user account and keep the files, will they be moved and/or duplicated to another location (as it says they will be in the popup dialogue)?
    • And if they do get moved and/or duplicated, which one is it?
    • And finally, can I simply just move them back straight away once they finish moving and/or duplicating?
    Thank you in advance - these will be very helpful to me but potentially many others who have search similar strings. If these have already been answered please link the appropriate posts or paste them here.

DaChiefOfOwnage-A336B851-110E-4172-B279-FDEC828268, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Cannot access my User Account on local machine but can access Admin account. Need help finding password but NOT reset it as it will delete saved data.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you reset the local account password it will not delete the Saved data.

I suggest you to back up the saved data and files from the admin account and try to reset the password and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

• Press Windows + R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Reset Password.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't delete old computer admin user file? Please help - Similar Threads - Can't delete old

2. Deleting an admin user from a used purchased computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an admin user from a used purchased computer: I bought a system at an auction. The owner had his user set up on the system. I got/knew the pin and added myself as an admin. Their user name still shows as an optional user. If I remove them as an admin, does that affect files on only my computer or everywhere they have...
  3. Deleting an admin user from a used purchased computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting an admin user from a used purchased computer: I bought a system at an auction. The owner had his user set up on the system. I got/knew the pin and added myself as an admin. Their user name still shows as an optional user. If I remove them as an admin, does that affect files on only my computer or everywhere they have...
  4. Can't Delete Corrupted File??? Please help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Delete Corrupted File??? Please help!: I was messing around with a random file I had on my pc, it was an important file to the pc and the pc still functions fine. While i was messing around, I renamed it to have .zip at the end. It wasn't working anymore, so I just decided to delete it. It gave me the notification...
  5. Deleted Files - Can't Recover - Please Help

Deleted Files - Can't Recover - Please Help: Okay last night or a few days ago, depends on when someone answers my computer needed a reset because of a blackout nice work Microsoft, I have spent two days trying to recover my files games, apps, work notes and nothing has worked. I've tried Disk-Drill, but nothing I had...
  6. Can't delete files even with admin

Can't delete files even with admin: When i try to delete a folder i am not allowed to. When i try to change the permissions it says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings" what can i do?...
  7. deleteing old admin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    deleteing old admin: my exfriend set herself up as the administrator on my computer and I have no way of signing in to her account. selling laptop and need to factory reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleteing-old-admin/d706e0f9-e868-4cc3-bb31-57b966a00da1
  8. can't delete old user profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    can't delete old user profiles: help please i cant delete the old profile name in user/ folder microsoft tech support ruined it 85151
  9. please help files deleted!

in Windows 10 Support
    please help files deleted!: i really have done a big mistake,so recently i booted my pc into ubuntu to try it out and selected delete all files and install. There were actually 4 partitions which got deleted and came back into one and i had all pictures,videos and more stuff like that so i thought it...
  10. Tried EVERYTHING - can't delete file. PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried EVERYTHING - can't delete file. PLEASE HELP!: I've tried instruction after instruction and cannot delete a file. It's from a programme called Solidworks, and is left in the programme file called 3ds Light.otf. I've tried deleting in Safe mode Using deleting/unlocking utlities File Assassin and Unlocker Disabled...