Windows 10: Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign

Discus and support Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just updgrade to win10 with a clean install so i'm wiping all the dead files from my storage HDD (+1gb of photos etc so I can't just format it) I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/infected_2, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign

Just updgrade to win10 with a clean install so i'm wiping all the dead files from my storage HDD (+1gb of photos etc so I can't just format it)

I have 5 folders with names like '81c36c069435980b7aa2' with subfolders like 'DE-DE'. I think it's the old win7 restore points maybe?

Anyways, I can't delete the folders. I've logged into the admin account, tried cmd promts, powershell commands, changed the owner to my new account.

It seems every subfolder is pointed at the old win7 user which is gone now. With each subfolder I can go in and reassign myself as the owner, then add myself to the subfolder and give full control but there are 40+ subfolders per folder so that'd take forever.

Is there a better option to wipe the folders or bulk re-assign permissions to the subfolders?

submitted by /u/infected_2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/infected_2, Jan 27, 2020
  2. WojtasRed Win User

Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Casheti Win User

Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign

Can't delete folder!

I used the old Alt+255 trick on a folder so that it had no name, but now that I want to delete it, and there's nothing in it, it WILL NOT LET ME DELETE IT. Why? *Bang Head :banghead: (I'm on Vista by the way)

Casheti, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign

1. Can't delete old Win7 folders on 2nd HDD - All subfolders have lost owner, can't bulk reassign - Similar Threads - Can't delete old

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder: I have the following scenario: I have a C:\Foo folder which I subst-ed for easier access as X: I have several symlinks and junctions in this Foo folder (both for network locations and local paths). The problem is that apparently I can't delete any folders within these folders...
  5. Can't Delete Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Delete Folders: I ran a batch file named aa.bat and it goes like this: @Echo off :a mkdir Desktop copy aa.bat Desktop/aa.bat cd Desktop goto :a PAUSE The loop goes on until I get the maximum filename error. Now I can't delete the folders. Can anyone help? Thanks!...
  6. Can't see old user folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see old user folder on external HDD: I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E: installed programs and general use drive). I have an 8Tb external hard drive (F: Backup and storage drive) which I stored data I...
  7. I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist: After the second wave of October Update, I can't delete the Windows.old because a sub-sub-sub-sub folder (hereinafter the X-folder). The X-folder I can't rename it, delete it or force delete through powershell (with admin right ofc). [img] PS: I rename the Windows.old...
  8. File can't delete on HDD..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File can't delete on HDD..?: Hi All I have few files on my Toshiba ext. HDD that don't seem to able to delete .. Any ideas..? I have signed out , restart tha laptop .. Thanks [img] 121606
  9. Can't Delete Windows.old folder or subfolders.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't Delete Windows.old folder or subfolders.: After doing an In-place Reinstall of WIndows 10 X64 to fix update problems. I ran the Clean Windows Files Program to Delete all 'Old' Windows Folders & files. All seemed to go well until I looked at C:\ dribve and see that Windows.old still exists. I've tried everything to...
  10. Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.: Recently, I had replacements done on my desktop rig, including motherboard, CPU, 4x the amount of RAM than I used to have (32GB now, 8GB before), and two new SSDs. There is one issue I have with the secondary SSD, but that is beside the point of the question I have for this...