Windows 10: Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a file on my Windows 10 desktop that will not delete, because every time I go to delete it, a message pops up saying that I can't delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DudeEMW, Dec 21, 2019.

1. DudeEMW Win User

Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10

Hi,

I have a file on my Windows 10 desktop that will not delete, because every time I go to delete it, a message pops up saying that I can't delete this file because it is open in system. I did a little digging, the system process that seems to be clinging to the file is known as "System Process ID: 4". You can't end System Process ID: 4 in task manager, probably because it would cause system instability. I guess I was wondering if there is some sort of command that I can execute in command prompt that would unlink the file from "System Process ID: 4".

Thanks!

:)

DudeEMW, Dec 21, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10

Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10

1. Can't delete or modify file on desktop in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't delete modify

2. File can't be deleted / modified,, its open in COM surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File can't be deleted / modified,, its open in COM surrogate: Hello, i would like to ask how to get rid of the error, which prevents me to modify / delete certain files on my PC, since they are "opened in com surrogate".What bothers me that the two of these files currently on my desctop are SVG icons, one called "credit-card.svg" and...
  3. File can't be deleted / modified,, its open in COM surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File can't be deleted / modified,, its open in COM surrogate: Hello, i would like to ask how to get rid of the error, which prevents me to modify / delete certain files on my PC, since they are "opened in com surrogate".What bothers me that the two of these files currently on my desctop are SVG icons, one called "credit-card.svg" and...
  4. File can't be deleted / modified,, its open in COM surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't modify properties of certain files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't modify properties of certain files: Some files,when I modify the metadata (es. Images), sometimes it says "unable to modify metadata: file in use by COM Surrogate". The problem is that, COM Surrogate aka dllhost.exe is the same process that should modify the metadata, so if I turn down this process the whole...
  6. Files not showing as deleted or modified, but they really are.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not showing as deleted or modified, but they really are.: Having issues with how files and programs are being displayed on my PC. Whenever I rename or delete a file, nothing will change. The file will not be renamed, it won't disappear if deleted. However when I go into my recycling bin for example, the file will be there. If I try...
  7. Files not showing as deleted or modified, but they really are.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files not showing as deleted or modified, but they really are.: Having issues with how files and programs are being displayed on my PC. Whenever I rename or delete a file, nothing will change. The file will not be renamed, it won't disappear if deleted. However when I go into my recycling bin for example, the file will be there. If I try...
  8. Can't delete files on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete files on desktop: Hi I've had this problem for a while now...I can't delete or move items on my desktop unless I restart my PC. Please don't post links on how to set permissions, I've tried that MANY times. It does say I don't have permission but I'm the ONLY user and it works fine after...
  9. Onedrive syncing new or deleted files but not modified files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive syncing new or deleted files but not modified files: Hello I've recently started using Onedrive - not sure it was a good idea! It's syncing ok when I add or delete files but not when I simply modify a file eg open a file with Excel make a change and close the file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve...
  10. Can't delete file on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete file on Desktop: There is a rar file on my desktop which I can not delete. It was from a wallpaper pack I was downloading from MEGA but I had cancelled it before it finished. Now it is on my desktop and no matter what I do it won't be deleted. I am not able to press delete as it says it needs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete windows file dont have permission and im an administrator