Windows 10: Can't delete or rename some files

Discus and support Can't delete or rename some files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having trouble with deleting and renaming *some* files for months now. I'm running Windows 10 2OH2. The problem typically manifests itself in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RhinoCan, Jun 12, 2021.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Can't delete or rename some files

I've been having trouble with deleting and renaming *some* files for months now. I'm running Windows 10 2OH2. The problem typically manifests itself in File Explorer. I'll try to delete or rename a file or folder and it usually works but sometimes, it simply won't work. The symptoms are not consistent: sometimes, when I right-click a file and choose delete, absolutely nothing happens. Sometimes, when I try to delete a folder, I get the dialogue that shows it is looking for the files in the folder but it never finds anything, no matter how long I wait. I eventually cancel the dialogue because nothing is happening. When I try to rename a file or folder, it either works or the whole dialogue goes grey and never comes back; eventually, I have to kill File Explorer in Task Manager. I've tried going old school and simply using DEL commands at the command processor but that doesn't work either. When I tried deleting with the power shell, that failed too. I ran a chkdsk with no flags just to see if the file system was messed up but it didn't find any errors. I'd love to fix this problem because I'm accumulating files and folders that I don't want any more. Can anyone suggest a fix?

:)

RhinoCan, Jun 12, 2021
  2. amd5750m Win User

rename inf

I have a 7670m 1gb driver crimson legacy, how to rename my 7670m (which in driver detects as 7600m) to 8670m?

I am something new in this I would appreciate it if you would give me all the steps since I am very interested

I use win 7

his is what I try to do but not rename these files

Does someone have a step for newbies?

this is more or less the idea in the link

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

amd5750m, Jun 12, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jun 12, 2021
  4. attobrig Win User

Renaming/deleting photos/files

I know quite a few people are having this issue.

1. It is impossible to rename files, unless you manage to do it within approximately 2 seconds.

2. It is impossible to amend/rename/delete photos, as soon as a photo is selected, the index/file jumps back to the top of the queue.

I have tried all the suggested "admin" settings/tests to no avail, and have not received any response from Microsoft!

Does anyone have a fix for this, or can Microsoft please issue an update to fix this problem.

I need to continue my work and finding it impossible to complete anything!

attobrig, Jun 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't delete or rename some files - Similar Threads - Can't delete rename

2. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I tried:- Uninstalling...
  3. Can't delete, rename or move a specific image file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete, rename or move a specific image file.: Hello there,I was deleting some files from my Downloads folder today and came across a file that can't be deleted, renamed or moved. When trying to perform any of these actions, nothing happens.When checking the file properties, I noticed something weird: the file location...
  4. Can't delete, rename or move a specific image file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, rename or move a specific image file.: Hello there,I was deleting some files from my Downloads folder today and came across a file that can't be deleted, renamed or moved. When trying to perform any of these actions, nothing happens.When checking the file properties, I noticed something weird: the file location...
  5. Can't delete, rename or move a specific image file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!: Hello, so I've been trying to delete a file from my desktop, but it just doesn't seem to work. I try to ove it to the recycle bin but either nothing happens or the progress bar appears but it doesn't progress anything, I even tried shredding the file with File Shredder, but...
  7. Can't Rename A File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Rename A File: Hello, I wanted to rename a movie because gom player doesn't play long names. When i try to change it's name it changes back to original name. I couldn't fix it please help. submitted by /u/Bilge1212 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't rename file

Can't rename file: I can't rename file in file explorer - app freezes and then closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-file/c867b489-34a2-4f82-9f68-3038c6858e6f"
  9. file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed

file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I have found the location of the folder but it still will not let me delete or rename, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-will-not-sync-be-deleted-or-renamed/3ac31aa9-c9c9-49d7-863f-c161a50477cf"
  10. Batch Rename Deletes Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Batch Rename Deletes Files: Hey all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and I've been playing around with the new File Explorer. One thing I tried was the batch rename function (by which I mean just selecting multiple files and clicking "rename"). I quickly realized that it behaves differently...