Windows 10: Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows

Discus and support Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I reinstalled windows 10 via windows 10 itself, and I choose to keep my files, but all my windows 10 apps were deleted. Oh well, I though, that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Otávio Bopp, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows

So, I reinstalled windows 10 via windows 10 itself, and I choose to keep my files, but all my windows 10 apps were deleted. Oh well, I though, that's just how things go, but my problems began when I couldn't install my xbox game pass games on my D: drive. That is, I couldn't set a WindowsApps folder in my D drive for anything, which is a problem because that's my largest drive. Recently I realized that the old MicrosoftApps folder with my games on D was still there, with about 100GB of games to boot.

Except I couldn't even open that folder or windows explorer would crash. After a lot of messing around with CMD and permissions, I was able to open the folder, but I definitely can't play any of the games, open any files, and certainly not rename or delete anything there. I've tried running countless commands, registry additions, but mostly it says that I need permision from MY OWN USERNAME whenever I try to do anything in the folder. Even in CMD or powershell it gives errors saying I don't have permission. I've tried pratically everything for hours, I've turned off all the processes I could find, troubleshoot windows update, I've given and removed permission, turned off windows defender, but I still can't do anything besides browse the folders. Sometimes windows gave me the error code 0x80004005, I've tried some fixes for that code but nothing worked.

Windows does not detect any of the games there as installed, in any drive. In fact my D drive has no programs installed. And I still cannot install any apps in my D drive, which I imagine will be fixed if I delete that old MicrosoftApps folder. I would really like the extra space to install apps on my D folder, but my biggest concern is the nearly 100GB that's being wasted on my D drive.

I imagine the permissions on the folder are somehow corrupted from my last installation, and maybe the fact that I have the same username as before is causing trouble.

:)

Otávio Bopp, Jan 17, 2021

2. Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

Just run "cleanmgr.exe" in the run command or in a command prompt and select the drive you want to clean......

VulkanBros, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows

1. Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows - Similar Threads - Can't delete ownership

2. I can't delete the windows folder on my secondary drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete the windows folder on my secondary drive.: Windows 10 I bought a SSD card and made it my primary system. Since the HHD that i used before isn't the system disk anymore, i can delete the WIndows folder right? But i can't. I tried changing the ownership, but it still tells me to get permission from the desktop. i tried...
  3. I can't delete the windows folder on my secondary drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete the windows folder on my secondary drive.: Windows 10 I bought a SSD card and made it my primary system. Since the HHD that i used before isn't the system disk anymore, i can delete the WIndows folder right? But i can't. I tried changing the ownership, but it still tells me to get permission from the desktop. i tried...
  4. Can't delete WindowsApps folder on secondary drive after reinstalling Windows error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete WindowsApps folder on secondary drive after reinstalling Windows error 0x80070005: I had my WindowsApps folder set up in the D drive. The other day I reinstalled Windows on my C drive, after which the folder on the D drive was not recognized, but that was to be expected. The problem is that I now can't delete it, even after successfully changing the...
  5. Can't delete WindowsApps folder on secondary drive after reinstalling Windows error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete WindowsApps folder on secondary drive after reinstalling Windows error 0x80070005: I had my WindowsApps folder set up in the D drive. The other day I reinstalled Windows on my C drive, after which the folder on the D drive was not recognized, but that was to be expected. The problem is that I now can't delete it, even after successfully changing the...
  6. can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive: Hi, On my old pc I copied some files on an HDD then removed it and installed it in another PC. On the new pc I can see the folders and some programs like unlocker allow me to see files in them. I tried everything from unlocker to registry edits to allow to take ownership...
  7. take ownership of hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    take ownership of hard drive: Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you...
  8. Can't delete useless windows folder on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete useless windows folder on a secondary drive: Hello, I'm trying to delete a secondary windows folder I have on a secondary drive. (obviously it's not the one i'm booting from) The problem is that I can't. I'm the owner of the folder and all sub-folders and files, and when I'm deleting it it will say "you need permission...
  9. Take Ownership and Delete Registry Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Take Ownership and Delete Registry Key: I have a brand new PC with a brand new clean install of Windows 10 with most current build. Despite this, I am continually seeing a Warning Event ID 1534: Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See...
  10. Can't take ownership of external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't take ownership of external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner. When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive,...