Windows 10: Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I moved a folder under a user account on a new dell windows 10 PC I was setting up from the C: drive to the D: drive (using right mouse click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by crad_58, Apr 15, 2019.

1. crad_58 Win User

Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10

So I moved a folder under a user account on a new dell windows 10 PC I was setting up from the C: drive to the D: drive (using right mouse click drag/move). The folder transferred fine but the folder name still exists under the user account and cannot be deleted. Trying to delete the folder under the user account fails, requires admin permissions (I'm running as admin and I'm the only user on PC). Opened up an admin cmd window and typed dir /q, here's a snippet of the result (the problem folder is "My Stuff"):

dir /q

Directory of c:\Users\crad

04/15/2019 02:48 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators .
    04/15/2019 02:48 PM <DIR> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM ..
    04/15/2019 02:22 PM <DIR> DESKTOP-Q1746OB\crad Links
    04/15/2019 02:22 PM <DIR> DESKTOP-Q1746OB\crad Music
    04/15/2019 02:51 PM <DIR> ... My Stuff
    04/15/2019 02:17 PM 213 DESKTOP-Q1746OB\crad myrsync.log
    04/14/2019 11:39 AM <DIR> DESKTOP-Q1746OB\crad OneDrive

Notice the owner of dir "My Stuff" is "..."?? How the heck do I remove this directory, everything I've tried so far has failed. Google failed to come up with an answer. Running windows 10 version 1809 OS build 17763.437

Any help is appreciated. I done broke my puter ...

:)

crad_58, Apr 15, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10 :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10 :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't Delete Orphaned Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Delete Orphaned

2. I cannot delete my orphaned account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot delete my orphaned account: I have a Windows Home account. I wanted to create a child account, but instead I changed myself to a child. Now I can't do anything. I can't even delete my child account!!! Please help me! Paul...
  3. I cannot delete my orphaned account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot delete my orphaned account: I have a Windows Home account. I wanted to create a child account, but instead I changed myself to a child. Now I can't do anything. I can't even delete my child account!!! Please help me! Paul...
  4. Can't delete folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete folder: Hello, what does this mean? I just want to delete the folder.Administrator functions on Windows is the absolute worst, I am the only one that ever uses my own computer.Thank you for you help....
  5. Can't delete folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete folder: Hello, what does this mean? I just want to delete the folder.Administrator functions on Windows is the absolute worst, I am the only one that ever uses my own computer.Thank you for you help....
  6. Cannot delete orphaned OneDrive folders after employee left

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete orphaned OneDrive folders after employee left: A previous employee left and had connect onedrive to one of our local PCs Windows 10. I have managed to remove most of the files from windows Explorer, but there are some remaining which cannot be deleted. All the files have a grey X over the icon. If I try to delete one...
  7. Can't Delete Folders

Can't Delete Folders: I ran a batch file named aa.bat and it goes like this: @Echo off :a mkdir Desktop copy aa.bat Desktop/aa.bat cd Desktop goto :a PAUSE The loop goes on until I get the maximum filename error. Now I can't delete the folders. Can anyone help? Thanks!...
  8. Can't delete a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete a folder: About 2 weeks ago I deleted the contents of a fold on my PC then deleted the folder. My next reboot the folder came back ( the empty folder with the name I named it when created ) I've deleted it about 10 times and after each reboot it comes back. very strange, anyone know...
  9. Orphaned Windows 10 Acount

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Orphaned Windows 10 Acount: Hi Brains Trust, I have two Windows 10 digital licences attached to my MS account. One is active, the other has been orphaned by me switching the computer back to Windows 7 without unlicencing it. What I would like to do is to transfer the orphaned licence to the other...
  10. Can't Delete Folder In Windows 10

Can't Delete Folder In Windows 10: I am logged into my Windows 10 machine as a local user with administrator rights. I created a folder and worked on some files in it and now I want to delete the folder, but Windows 10 won't let me. It says I need permission to perform this action from DESKTOP-TEM8GGA\Kim...