Windows 10: Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10

Discus and support Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What Fafhrd says rings a bell. My son's Asus Transformer T100 has 32 GB eMMC but also a separate fixed eMMC of 8GB to store a factory restore image on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JodieLThi, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Word Man Win User

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10

What Fafhrd says rings a bell. My son's Asus Transformer T100 has 32 GB eMMC but also a separate fixed eMMC of 8GB to store a factory restore image on it exclusively. That 8GB can't be recovered for alternate use - however, the 32 GB is completely malleable as on NavyLCDR's Nextbook.

Word Man, Mar 28, 2016
  2. JodieLThi Win User

Yes.

JodieLThi, Mar 28, 2016
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Looks like you install to the 21.9 GB unformatted space.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Word Man, Mar 28, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If all else fails download any LINUX live CD disto -- probably Linux Mint is the easiest for beginners and then delete the partition using Linux PARTED command -- just GOOGLE for Linux PARTED command.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 28, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    It's probably better to investigate what type of partition this acer recovery partition (partition number n=4, maybe 3, I guess) is - Diskpart list part should tell unambiguously:

https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitio...n_types-1.html

Probably a type 27, hidden, diag type

They usually can be unhidden simply by assigning a drive letter (below, X= drive letter of choice, something not in use)

diskpart

sel disk 0
    list part
    sel part n
    assign letter=X
    exit

or to change type to normal ntfs type 07

diskpart

sel disk 0
    list part
    sel part n
    set ID=7 override
    exit

But if other diskpart commands are not working, perhaps these will not either.

It's a GPT disk with non empty partitions, presumably, hard to crack, it seems.

If you can get hold of the factory recovery disk contents, there will be cmd scripts, or even batch files which show exactly how the partitioning is performed, if other Acer recovery partitions I've seen are anything to go by, often hidden in multipart Wim (SWM) files.

(It should also be possible to assign letters to all partitions, except the unformatted space)

Fafhrd, Mar 28, 2016
  7. Word Man Win User
    Most probably, it's something akin to: Code: rem === 4. Images partition ========================create partition primary format quick fs=ntfs label="Images" assign letter=m set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac" gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001[/quote] as found for an ASUS Transformer T100TA like my son's and mentioned in the Acer thread I linked to.

See Step 2 here:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh825221.aspx

Also, in that same Acer thread, a couple of posters reported that once they were able to force delete that partition, the system was unbootable and had to be restored. If completely reformatted to go generic and not have WIMBOOT intact, they ended up actually losing ground on space remaining for use on these 32 or 64 GB drives.

Word Man, Mar 28, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

However, Windows 10 uses a different "Compact OS" method than WIMBOOT and does not require an image or recovery partition for it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    Then that's good news for OP if they can get Win10 install done. Even though it seems strange the way ASUS did my son's Transformer, in his case, the 8GB separate soldered partition is still there but at least all 29GB showing is being used for Win10 since I upgraded it.

Word Man, Mar 28, 2016
  10. JodieLThi Win User
    I get Error: 0x80070057

JodieLThi, Mar 29, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    K. So you can't delete all partitions. Can you delete only the 100MB EFI system partition?

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2016
  12. JodieLThi Win User
    No. None of them.

JodieLThi, Mar 29, 2016
  13. Mystere Win User

You apparently did read the whole message, Jimbo.

Mystere, Mar 29, 2016
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Causes aside, all of the drives are hidden, GPT type and report differently in Aomei or Minitool whether they are empty or full. And nothing seems to be able to delete the partitions. Ergo there's something corrupted in the partition tables or whatever GPT uses - maybe a single GUID is wrong somewhere.

What else can be tried?

Attempt recovery using Recuva?

Attempt to assign drive letters?

Convert disk from GPT to MBR?

Use a low level editor to examine what's actually present below the apparent empty structure, a hex editor, or perhaps tools like RWEverything or Spinrite?

If you look for causes, is this damage viral? Could an antivirus discover something lurking that is corrupting the low level format of the storage medium?

Fafhrd, Mar 29, 2016
  15. JodieLThi Win User
    I attempted recovery with Recuva and it didn't allow it.
    I tried converting to MBR but it just goes back to GPT after I've applied it.
    It does allow me to change the drive letters:

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

Malwarebytes got this:

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

I removed it, but it comes back after restart.

JodieLThi, Mar 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't delete partitions

2. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  5. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.: Hi Everyone, As my title says I cannot complete a fresh Windows 10 install from USB using Windows media creation tool. I purchased an NZXT BLD a few months ago and recently received a blue screen crash and of course I didn't write down the error code, because I didn't think...
  7. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  8. Can't delete all partitions for Win 10 clean install

Can't delete all partitions for Win 10 clean install: Hi, When click "custom" during Win 10 clean install via usb drive Window media creation tool download, I still end up with the main c drive that I can't delete, because it's greyed out, as well as the recovery partition that came with my laptop (that I also can not delete...
  9. Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions

Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions: Clean install from flash drive. I'm just following instructions... All okay up until "...delete each Drive/Partition..." EXCEPT the "Unallocated Space". I do not see the term Unallocated Space. I have 5 partitions 1-5. 1(ESP/System) says don't delete as it's an EFI...
  10. Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10

Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10: I have a top spec HP Envy DV6 i7 laptop which had Windows 7 on it then upgraded to windows 8 then Windows 10. I have noticed that recently the machine has become really sluggish and Cortana is not working not matter what I try. I have decided to clean install Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x80070057 emmc