Windows 10: Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

Discus and support Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've been having this issue where I try to delete a program or folder, but I can't because my computer says its currently in use and is open in another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CharlesHinkle_944, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

I've been having this issue where I try to delete a program or folder, but I can't because my computer says its currently in use and is open in another program, even though its not open anywhere on my computer. No matter how hard I click on 'try again', it won't let me delete it.

:)

CharlesHinkle_944, Apr 21, 2024

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 21, 2024
  3. How to delete a folder if XP says it will make some programs not work?

yeah just delete it, xp just picks up that theres an .exe and warns you that the folder contains a program.

afaik hjt is stand alone and runs from its own folder without installing it, if this is the case then just delete it, if you had to install it then uninstall it via add/remove programs.

SpookyWillow, Apr 21, 2024
  4. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not :(

lyndonguitar, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

1. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not - Similar Threads - Can't delete program

2. Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete program or folder because computer says its open even though it's not: I've been having this issue where I try to delete a program or folder, but I can't because my computer says its currently in use and is open in another program, even though its not open anywhere on my computer. No matter how hard I click on 'try again', it won't let me delete...
  3. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  4. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  5. Program failing to be seen by Computer even though loaded on the computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program failing to be seen by Computer even though loaded on the computer: I have downloaded onto my computer Canon EOS Utility 3. It shows up in the programs and features but is not there in the start up menu. I created a link to the desktop from C:\Program Files x86\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3 but the link doesn't work either. I have been in touch...
  6. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  7. Empty folder can't be deleted because the folder is in use in another program

Empty folder can't be deleted because the folder is in use in another program: I created a new folder and open a WORD document in it. I tried to rename it but got the message "The action can't be completed because the folder of file in it is open in another program." * I closed the file in WORD, tried again and got the same message. * I moved the...
  8. Can't delete a file even though I own it

Can't delete a file even though I own it: I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random music. I figured out the location of these programs, located in two folders in Local Disk C: and have tried to delete them....
  9. Windows says it cannot find a program even though it is there

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows says it cannot find a program even though it is there: I have a program xxxx.exe in C:\Program Files (not real name). When I double click on it I get the message "Windows cannot find xxxx.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." Well - I found the program and double-clicked on it. Why can't Windows find...
  10. Recently opened folders shows even though its turned off

Recently opened folders shows even though its turned off: Hi! I hope i post this in the right section. Im new to Windows 10, coming from Windows 7. On my laptop running Windows 10 Home i have set the option for showing recently opened folders/programs to off. So when i right click a item on the task bar it shouldnt display recently...