Windows 10: Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

Discus and support Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey Forum Folke, I have five files and one (empty) folder that simply will not delete, nor can I rename them or perform any operation of any kind on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kharrisma, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

Hey Forum Folke,

I have five files and one (empty) folder that simply will not delete, nor can I rename them or perform any operation of any kind on them. Any attempt to do anything to these files yields the message, "The file name you specified is incorrect or too long. Specify a different file name." I can access 'properties,' and have unchecked the "Read Only" box, but that made no difference in being able to do anything with these files. Regular "delete" does not work, "shift+delete" doesn't work, nor does dragging & dropping in the recycle bin. I'm not aware of any other methods to delete a file.

I've tried MS Process explorer to see if these files are in use somehow, but the search turns up nothing... beside, if they were in use, the error message I'd get when trying to delete them would say so, would it not?

The (empty) folder gives me this error: "Path/filename is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." "Path/filename" is not what the message shows; it shows the actual path and filename of this file, or folder, actually.

Any suggestions on how to make these things go away once and for all?

:)

kharrisma, Nov 6, 2019

2. Delete file with long filename "command window method does not work"

Dear all,

I need help to delete a .jpg file with long filename. It came in when I extract .rar.

Tried using cmd method (found on web) to delete it but does not work. while typing "dir" to check the list, it does not show "shortname" for the file.

Tried to type the full name to delete it also don't work. when I type the full name. it returns could not find the file as the filename contain space,

Tried delete the whole folder via cmd and powershell also do not work.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Hanson Moh, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long. [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

Long filenames in File History (Windows 10)

Hi

I have very deep subfolders on my laptop and long filenames. File History does not back up the long filenames. Apart from renaming these files, is there a way to overcome this problem?

Thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Happy Person_893, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

1. Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long. - Similar Threads - Can't delete several

2. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  3. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  4. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: Ever since I purchased Win 11 on my machine, it has been giving me issues. The biggest one right now is that I cannot rename folders. Any time I try no matter how I try to do it, I get the above error.HELP. I have a metric f-ton of "New folder" folders now....
  5. The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.: I am just looking at a thread from this blog created in April 2018 which came up in my search because the same old "file name is too long" error came up again. Here is an excerpt from that session: - - - Yeah, certainly annoying. Even more annoying is that the copy operation...
  6. The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.

The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.: I am just looking at a thread from this blog created in April 2018 which came up in my search because the same old "file name is too long" error came up again. Here is an excerpt from that session: - - - Yeah, certainly annoying. Even more annoying is that the copy operation...
  7. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  8. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  9. Seeking to delete a file with a too-long filename from the desktop

Seeking to delete a file with a too-long filename from the desktop: Seeking advice on how to delete a file with a too-long name from the desktop.There are two traditional ways to do this and neither appear viable:1 Discover the 8.3 name using dir /x and use the del command...
  10. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: [ATTACH] This error keeps persisting. Please help. 2 days ago I purchased a retail key for windows 10 and installed it on my PC It worked well. Today I installed bitdefender antivirus software and uninstalled previous antivirus software and updated windows from v1903 to...