Windows 10: Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder

Discus and support Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the following scenario: I have a C:\Foo folder which I subst-ed for easier access as X: I have several symlinks and junctions in this Foo folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by poisonborz, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder

I have the following scenario: I have a C:\Foo folder which I subst-ed for easier access as X: I have several symlinks and junctions in this Foo folder (both for network locations and local paths). The problem is that apparently I can't delete any folders within these folders when the path is through the subst (so eg. X:\JunctionFolder\Subfolder). I get the the "You'll need to provide administrator permissions to delete this folder" popup (If I click (Admin) continue, it gives another permission error). I get this permission error even if the file explorer is elevated/launched as admin. When I try to make this operation on the un-substed folder - so C:\Foo\JunctionFolder\Subfolder, the deletion occurs without problem. Curiously, I can rename and even move the folder, un-elevated with no issues as well. Why is this happening? Is there any way to have deletion trough a subst-ed folder working? To note: I know about net use as an alternative to subst to create drive from locations: however, this creates a network mount that severly decreases performance of accessing the folder.

:)

poisonborz, Aug 17, 2021
  2. Naki Win User

Bug with subst-ed drive

I have my Chrome Downloads folder set to a folder on my N: disk/drive - a substed drive, which is really on drive C:. Trying to run latest version of GPU-Z fails - it never show any window, nor an error message.
    System has (had) GPU-Z version of one version before latest.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit, Pro, latest Insider Preview build.

Expected: Work fine from a subst-ed drive, or show some kind of error.

3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 17, 2021
  4. Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder

Subst Problem

I have rebooted. The drive is accessible.

The larger problem is Quick Access.

I have several subst'd entries on Quick Access. They are folders which contain many subfolders.

When I unpin an entry on Quick Access, others appear in the subst subfolders.

There doesn't seem to be a way to mass remove Quick Access entries.

Is there an XML file for Quick Access I can edit?

I'm looking at possibly several 100 folders.

RonNewYork, Aug 17, 2021
Thema:

Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder

1. Can't delete subfolders of junctions in a subst-ed folder - Similar Threads - Can't delete subfolders

2. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  3. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  4. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  5. Folders and Subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and Subfolders: Using windows explorer to organize photos by year and then subfolders for activities during that year I want to be able to see all folders and subfolders on the main windows explorer screen without having to click on the year folder to see what that year contains. Is that...
  6. Can't Delete Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Delete Folders: I ran a batch file named aa.bat and it goes like this: @Echo off :a mkdir Desktop copy aa.bat Desktop/aa.bat cd Desktop goto :a PAUSE The loop goes on until I get the maximum filename error. Now I can't delete the folders. Can anyone help? Thanks!...
  7. I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist: After the second wave of October Update, I can't delete the Windows.old because a sub-sub-sub-sub folder (hereinafter the X-folder). The X-folder I can't rename it, delete it or force delete through powershell (with admin right ofc). [img] PS: I rename the Windows.old...
  8. Subst Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Subst Problem: I use several subst drives, like X: for D:\work, for instance. I have several scripts which refer to X: But today, there was a power outage in my apt (due to work being done) and when the computer came back up, for X: now I get "The volume does not contain a recognized file...
  9. Can't Delete Windows.old folder or subfolders.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't Delete Windows.old folder or subfolders.: After doing an In-place Reinstall of WIndows 10 X64 to fix update problems. I ran the Clean Windows Files Program to Delete all 'Old' Windows Folders & files. All seemed to go well until I looked at C:\ dribve and see that Windows.old still exists. I've tried everything to...
  10. Unable to delete a subfolder, no problem with its subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete a subfolder, no problem with its subfolders: Curious thing... When deleting a X:\subfolder I am getting a recyle bin error:"The folder contains items whose names are too long for the Recycle Bin." The longest path in all the sub-subfolders is 247. When I select that file (longest path), deleting is no problem.When...