Windows 10: Can't delete unwanted System partition

Discus and support Can't delete unwanted System partition in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm having troubles deleting an unwanted partition D: from my SSD. I've had a Windows 10 installed on it D: previously and for one reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RoseIdol, Apr 10, 2020.

1. RoseIdol Win User

Can't delete unwanted System partition

Hi everyone, I'm having troubles deleting an unwanted partition D: from my SSD. I've had a Windows 10 installed on it D: previously and for one reason or another it malfunctioned and I had to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Which I did on a different partition C:. Installation was a success. C: is now a default partition. But I can't delete the original D: now. I've tried Disk Management and Power shell, but none worked. This is a screenshot from Disk Management.

Can't delete unwanted System partition ad93ed8e-b618-4be2-a099-4032ad0af33c?upload=true.png

When I try to delete volume/format I get the message that I can't delete system partition and that D is in use. How is it in use and how to delete it?

:)

RoseIdol, Apr 10, 2020
  2. VBX
    vbx Win User

Help, I deleted a partition, and can't seem to "extend" the other partition

Ok, here's how it happened.

I had 2 partition. XP and Win7 x86.

I shrank the Win7 x86 partition and created a new partition (Win7 X64)

I then deleted Win7 x86 partition.

----------

edit: what warup suggested did the trick. It took 20+ minutes for that software to do it, but hey it worked.. Thanks

3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Delete unwanted files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For better clarity, please help us with the details requested below:

• When you say, “SYSTEM DRIVE” are you referring to System Reserved Partition or the drive where windows is installed?
    • Which unwanted files are you referring?

If you are running out of space on your computer, you may want to refer the suggestions mentioned in the article

Free up drive space in Windows 10

Please reply with more information to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Can't delete unwanted System partition

Can I safely delete certain partitions?

All the partitions to the right of C:\ can be safely deleted. I noticed you have some substantial unallocated disk space that you should try recovering.

After deleting the suggested partitions, the Volumes you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (CCan't delete unwanted System partition :). Right click the System volume then click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Can't delete unwanted System partition

1. Can't delete unwanted System partition - Similar Threads - Can't delete unwanted

2. A program deleted my system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A program deleted my system partition: So now will not boot... cannot seem to find an OEM type version of Windows 10/11 which it seems I must buy to repair system. I have approximately 8 different partitions and some are immovable and now it 'appears' unrecoverable bugger!......one too many Linux installations...
  3. Deleting a partition with System files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting a partition with System files: I have a Samsung Evo 970 drive with a partition that contains systems files, I suppose from on ald installation. I tried to delete the partition with commands but I get an error roughly translated from spanish saying that it is no permitted on this type of files... I have...
  4. can't delete a partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete a partition: hi there, recently I was cleaning out a drive since I wanted to install a fresh copy of windows onto it, however the drive itself had many partitions on it as previously it was used just for storage, not a problem I thought as I deleted them all one by one (of course backing...
  5. Unable to delete unwanted system folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete unwanted system folders: [ATTACH] These folder appeared after I connected my iPhone and PC to back up my iCloud datas. I couldn't delete them though they are all empty. Other than being very annoying they don't really do much to my PC. Please guide me how to delete these folders. When I click on...
  6. How to completely delete the System Partition and......

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to completely delete the System Partition and......: reinstall in such a way that the new owner can access Windows 10. "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  7. Delete Old System Reserved Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Old System Reserved Partition?: Hi, I have just built a new PC and have installed a new installation of Windows on an NVMe drive. I then took out my old hard drives from my previous PC and installed them in my new one, I want to be able to use them all for storage. When I go into Disk Management I see all...
  8. Delete System Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Delete System Partition: Hello, i was messing around a bit with the Command Prompt to install/uninstall Ubuntu Dual-Boot on my laptop, and ended up creating this System Partition called D drive which i don't know what it holds: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I Cant tell if its the first one in the list...
  9. can't delete partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    can't delete partition: I am in Computer Management. I am the owner of the volume, there is no sharing, the partition is empty, but "access is denied", and I can't delete it. I tried reformatting, it did not solve the problem. I also tried stopping the reformat in the middle, so it shows as raw...
  10. Unwanted keyboard layouts I can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted keyboard layouts I can't delete: Since the update to W10 creator edition I have two extra keyboard layouts available to me which I do not want, but I can't get rid of. Before, I had two languages -- UK English and Belgian French -- with the US International AltGr Deadkeys (installed from a third party)...