Windows 10: Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile...

Discus and support Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've had multiple temporary User Profiles that I've deleted in the past through Settings>Accounts>Family & Other Users menu. When I did this, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RegentNemea, May 14, 2022.

1. Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile...

I've had multiple temporary User Profiles that I've deleted in the past through Settings>Accounts>Family & Other Users menu. When I did this, Windows 10 told me that the User's data would also be deleted which is good because that's what I wanted.But today after investigating why I have so little storage space on my C/Drive have found out that in C:\Users there are still folders for every User Profile I've deleted along with data such as videos, music and pictures that were downloaded on those now-deleted User Profiles. These folders are taking up around 16 Gb. I have managed to dele

:)

RegentNemea, May 14, 2022
  2. GMC7700 Win User

Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

None of this works. Silly me for deleting the profile via control panel.

So when I go to the systempropertiesadvanced, the profile is not listed.

When I go to the registry keys, the profile is not listed there either.

But the c::\users\ has the folders that I cannot delete.

GMC7700, May 14, 2022
  3. Delete or rename main user in c drive

Hi Alori,

A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to for a user account. It is stored in the user's C:\Users\<user name> profile folder, and contains the account's settings for desktop backgrounds, screen
    savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features. User profiles ensure that your personal preferences are used whenever you sign in to Windows. However, if you want to delete the user profile, we recommend to follow the steps below:

• You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to delete a user profile. You'll need to make sure that the user account you want to delete the profile of is signed out before continuing.
    • Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe, and click/tap on OK to open Advanced System Properties.
    • Click/tap on the Settings button under User Profiles.
    • Select the profile of the user account, and click/tap on Delete.
    • Click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    • The profile of the user account (ex: "Example") will now be deleted. A new profile for the user's account will automatically be created the next time that user signs in.
    • You can now close the User Profiles and System Properties windows if you like.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, May 14, 2022
  4. GMC7700 Win User

Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile...

Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

I have Windows 10 Home.

I deleted a user profile via control panel and said YES to remove the folders & files.

Windows 10 removed the user, but the profile folder (c:\user\Joe) remains.

I tried everything I could find (including changing owner, changing permissions, etc) on the folder and I could not delete the contents (which is taking up a gig or so of space that I need)

So I created a new user with same name.

Windows gave this 2nd user profile a different (longer) name (c:\users\Joe.Desktop.[numbers]), so no change to the permissions from the original profile (c:\users\joe).

So, I again used control panel to delete this 2nd profile, and again said yes to delete all related files & folders when the profile was deleted. And - again - Windows deleted the user profile but kept all of the folders in c:\users.

So - now I have TWO folders (C:\users\joe and c:\users\joe.desktop.xxxx) that I cannot get rid of.

Whenever I try I get the you need administrator permission, and then when I select continue, it acts like it will delete and then says I don't have permission. My options are only "try again" or "cancel".

What do I have to do to delete the user profile folders and related files? I need the disc space!

And why on earth does deleting a user not also delete the related folders? Seems like a no brainer.

GMC7700, May 14, 2022
Thema:

Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile...

1. Can't delete User Folders in C/Drive even though I deleted the associated User Profile... - Similar Threads - Can't delete User

2. Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 11. The system automatically named my user profile folder based on my Microsoft account's name the folder name is blocked in green in the screenshot. However, I do not like the name automatically given to my user profile...
  3. Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird user profile folders in C:/Users - can I delete them?: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 11. The system automatically named my user profile folder based on my Microsoft account's name the folder name is blocked in green in the screenshot. However, I do not like the name automatically given to my user profile...
  4. Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users

Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  5. Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a user folder from C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  6. Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users

Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  7. Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a user from folder C:/Users: Descriptive:I have a folder that might be a old user from old Windows 10, now I'm using Windows 11. I want to delete that folder but it always return an error like "You required permission from USER/Administrator", meanwhile the current user I'm using setted up as...
  8. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  9. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  10. Can't delete deleted user's folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete deleted user's folder.: So a long time ago I made this user using command prompt just for fun and then I went to delete it. But I just noticed that the user folder is still there. It says I can't delete it because I don't have permissions. I tried giving myself permissions to no avail. Can someone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. failing to delete account file in users folder in c drive