Windows 10: can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner

Discus and support can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; keep getting blocked trying to delete windows.old to free up 17gb on my SSD which is my win10 os drive I thought it might work if I was able to delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bbxrider, Mar 29, 2021.

1. bbxrider Win User

can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner

keep getting blocked trying to delete windows.old to free up 17gb on my SSD which is my win10 os drive
    I thought it might work if I was able to delete the sub folders first, I was able to delete a couple of them.
    I have this same problem with all the remaining windows.old folders
    initially they were owned by the default TrustedInstaller

if I am admin and owner why even ask this permission?

can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner [​IMG]

after hitting continue, I get this

here is the permissions that I thought would give delete capability

:)

bbxrider, Mar 29, 2021
  2. BobZ2 Win User

Old Owner Name

I bought a used Axim. I changed the Device ID in Settings -> System ->

About. I changed the owner name in Settings -> Personal -> Owner Info.

But when I use Send To on a Windows 7 "desktop", the option for my

Axim lists the old owner's name. Not a major problem, but definitely

annoying. I couldn't find that name in the registry (on the Axim).

Can anyone suggest another place to look?

Thanks.

BobZ2, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Baleful Win User
    Changing device names and deleting devices

Yeah, you can't delete old/retired machines from the "my grid" page. The only option you have really is to wait a few days then change how it sorts the list:

can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner ActiveMachines.png

Oh, and Mike is correct, by changing the windows "computer name" it'll change on the "my grid" page.

Baleful, Mar 29, 2021
  4. can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner

Unable, as owner, to delete music files in Windows 10

I transferred my documents from my old Dell to my new HP with Windows 10. I am trying to get rid of the files I don't need, but there are certain folders in my MUSIC FOLDER that I can't delete. It says "You require permission from Desktop-J63MM1J\DebyS to
    make changes to this folder".

I have gone into security and made sure that I am listed as the owner with full permissions, and I am. I have read many threads and tried every thing suggested, nothing works. I'm not sure what else to do.

DebySantulli, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner

1. can't delete windows.old after changing myself to the owner - Similar Threads - can't delete old

2. Delete the “Owner” identification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete the “Owner” identification: I am donating my Toshiba Android laptop to a charity. I need to know how to delete/ remove the “Owner” status. Currently it shows my wife’s email address as the owner....
  3. Forza files not deleted after uninstall. Can't delete them myself. 100Gb used up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza files not deleted after uninstall. Can't delete them myself. 100Gb used up.: Hi, as many others have complained about, sometimes xbox game files get stuck in the install folder, and they can't be deleted even after playing with the security settings and CMD. I'm listing out what i've tried below, but I'm stuck with ~100Gb of used space i need back,...
  4. File disappear after changing the owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File disappear after changing the owner: I try to change the owner of a folder to myself.After that, i change who can acces it that no one can see beside me. I am the only one who can see it but when i restart my laptop i cant now see the file. The folder but it says i cannot acces the file. I look on the properties...
  5. Disableantispyware ocasionally being deleted from the registry. I set myself to owner and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disableantispyware ocasionally being deleted from the registry. I set myself to owner and...: tittle submitted by /u/FellOffARoof [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ibripq/disableantispyware_ocasionally_being_deleted_from/
  6. Unable to delete folders despite admin permission, and can't change owner file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete folders despite admin permission, and can't change owner file?: Hello, I have a bit of a problem that needs solving. I have a laptop with Windows 10, and until now, as far as I know, I was able to edit system files, delete ones in the C: drive, and such. And now, I can't do that, so is there a way to fix it? When I try to open up the...
  7. Can't change myself to administrator

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't change myself to administrator: About a month ago, i was doing fine with saving photos and everything, but suddenly when i tried to save a photo from the web, the computer say that i have to contact with the admin, i tried to use the active admin :yes cmd but it says access denied...
  8. Change of owner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change of owner: I have obtained a second-hand PC that runs windows 10. This has the original owner set-up as admin and a second person as 'user account' how do I delete these two accounts and install myself as 'admin' ( I will be the sole user) without altering other programs and settings?...
  9. change owners

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change owners: how do i change administrators and make this HP laptop running windows 10 that was givin to me mine ? my account etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners/21f8316d-80f4-482d-a744-709c18837e35"
  10. Can't delete old windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't delete old windows 10: Windows 10 was crashing when trying to install updates so I bought a SSD (860 EVO) and download a Windows 10 ISO file which was put on a third HDD. I installed the new windows 10 on the SSD (now named C:) and all has been working fine. But it appears I still have some files...