Windows 10: Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

Discus and support Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After waiting for some indication of what to do with my existing Windows 10.0.240 installation I decided to bite the bullet and just download the Media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rkennedy01, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

After waiting for some indication of what to do with my existing Windows 10.0.240 installation I decided to bite the bullet and just download the Media Creation Tool. I then allowed it to "upgrade" my existing Windows 10 install, a process that went smoothly until I tried to delete the Windows.old folder through Disk Cleanup. All but a few folders got deleted - specifically, 4 folders related to the Intel Atom z2760 chipset software which are hiding under the following folder:

C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

Not matter what I try, I can't seem to get rid of these few remaining folders, and by extension, Windows.old. Anyone have any advice on how to nuke this stuff once and for all?

RCK

:)

rkennedy01, Jul 28, 2015

2. Can't delete windows.old

Hi All,

After I updated Surface Pro 2 to windows 8.1 and then to win 10 it can't delete windows.old folder.

I used cleanup, it can't do it. Neither I could do it manually. This is because some driver files are in use in system32/drivers:

SurfaceAccessoryDevice.sys

SurfaceIntegrationDriver.sys

SurfaceTypeCover.sys

And the same files in system32/DriverStore.

The names suggest these are drivers for surface type cover so I tried to disconnect it, reboot without a cover and try to delete he files - no luck.

The same is when I boot up in safe mode.

One of the posts suggests using this script:

takeown /F "%SystemDrive%\Windows.old" /R /A /D Y

icacls "%SystemDrive%\Windows.old" /grant Administrators:F /T /C

rd /s /q "%SystemDrive%\Windows.old"

but it doesn't wrk either (access denied).

Does anyone know how to delete the old folder?

Thanks!

Artem Kliachkine

Artem Kliatchkine, Jul 28, 2015
  3. aahck Win User
    Using Command Prompt to get rid of Old Installation of Windows doesn't work (neither does Disk Cleanup)

When I bought my (new) computer, it already had Windows 10 on it, but it had an old windows installation file on it.

My computer keeps notifying me that it's low on memory. I want to get rid of this useless file, but it won't go away.

Running disk cleanup as administrator and trying to delete this file doesn't work. It's still there. How do I get it off?

UPDATE: I realize that disk cleanup isn't working
    at all.

I found some instructions for trying to use Command Prompt (again, running it as an administrator) to get rid of the old installation. It didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>CD/

C:\>DIR Windows.old

Volume in drive C is Windows

Volume Serial Number is 6AD4-9905

Directory of C:\Windows.old

09/16/2016 03:04 PM <DIR> .

09/16/2016 03:04 PM <DIR> ..

09/16/2016 03:05 PM <DIR> WINDOWS

0 File(s) 0 bytes

3 Dir(s) 11,980,173,312 bytes free

C:\>TAKEOWN /f Windows.old /a /r

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

C:\>Attrib -r -a -s -h C:\Windows.old /S /D

C:\>RD /s Windows.old

Windows.old, Are you sure (Y/N)? Y

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

C:\>Takeown /f Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by user [me]

C:\>takeown /f Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by user [me]

C:\>takeown /f Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by user [me]

C:\>takeown /f Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by user [me]

C:\> Attrib -r -a -s -h C:\Windows.old /S /D

C:\>RD /s Windows.old

Windows.old, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

C:\>

C:\>RD /f Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys

Invalid switch - "f".

C:\>rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows.old\

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

C:\>cacls C:\Windows.old\*.* /T /grant administrators:F

Are you sure (Y/N)?Y

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d\iaiogpioe.sys

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7\iaioi2ce.sys

C:\>takeown /F C:\Windows.old\* /R /A

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d\iaiogpioe.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7\iaioi2ce.sys" now owned by the administrators group.

Are you sure (Y/N)?

C:\>Y

'Y' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Are you sure (Y/N)?Y

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d

processed dir: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_e8244de89b1b260d\iaiogpioe.sys

processed file: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaioi2ce.inf_x86_8fa8dabb9d357ed7\iaioi2ce.sys

C:\>rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows.old\

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOGP~3.INF\iaiogpioe.sys - Access is denied.

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\IAIOI2~2.INF\iaioi2ce.sys - Access is denied.

Thanks!

aahck, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

before you nuke them - verify they are in the Current windows folder

5. Yeah, I manually walked through each of the referenced drivers in Device Manager and uninstalled them/reinstalled them via "Have Disk" while pointing at a different source for the driver files. A check of the drivers shows them all now pointing at their associated .sys files in System32\Drivers, and I've also checked that the equivalent folders exist under the current (not Windows.old) DriverStore folder.

So I think it should be OK to nuke them, I'm just not sure how to convince Windows to let me do it. *Sad

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    I've had the same problem in each of my last two build updates. If I find a way to get rid of them I'll let you know, CCleaner did work once but not this time.

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Well, it's not that much of a problem since I can confirm that all of my drivers are installed and working from the expected locations. But still, it's annoying to have that orphaned Windows.old folder lurking in my file system. I'm a disk "clean freak" and hate to see extraneous stuff floating around, especially in the root folder. *Sad

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

Update: Well I poked around a bit too much in my efforts to delete that stubborn Windows.old folder. After removing several related drivers from Device Manager I rendered my laptop unbootable. Then, when I went to do a "clean" install from my recently downloaded RTM ISO image (e.g. my way around creating a "Windows.old" folder in the first place), I discovered that Windows 10 would refuse to activate.

I'm guessing it was probably related to the fact that my laptop's embedded-in-the-BIOS product key was for Windows 8.x Home, and though I had since upgraded the machine to Windows 8.1 Pro, that somehow the activation servers never got the message. Long story short I had to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 - using my "Pro" product key - and then upgrade from there. Which, of course, left me with another...

...Windows.old folder that simply WON'T DIE!!! ARGHHHH!!!!! *Sad

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 29, 2015
  9. sylvestk Win User
    Right click on the folder > properties > security tab > advanced >
    Then at the top you'll see a blue "Change" link next to "Owner: ..." Click that.
    Enter your user in the box > click "Check Names" and it should load your account > OK > OK > OK
    Then you should have permission to edit the security settings since you're the owner of the folder now.

sylvestk, Jul 29, 2015
  10. mattfromoz, Jul 29, 2015
  11. rvcjew Win User
    I suggest you run Disk Cleanup and pick Clean Up System Files then old windows installs, that's what I did. There is installs, upgrade files and some error logs that can go. They all have the same icon.

rvcjew, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    The initial post said he did use Disk Cleanup.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  13. musky Win User

i used disk clean up also and the old windows folder is still there.

musky, Jul 29, 2015
  14. rvcjew Win User
    Thanks, guess i'm blind.

rvcjew, Jul 29, 2015
  15. There must be a solution to this. I'm clearly not alone - some aspect of the upgrade leaves the new install with open file handles to those Windows.old folder contents. Very annoying...

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders - Similar Threads - Can't Delete old

2. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  3. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  4. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  5. Can't delete old Windows folder

Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  6. Delete leftover custom cursor

Delete leftover custom cursor: Hello, I have installed a custom cursor and I wanted to delete it and to do it I have gone to this windows path: C:\Windows\Cursorsand from here I have deleted its file and gone to check in mouse cursor to check whether it's still there or not, but it was still there. Please...
  7. Leftover, Bugged Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Leftover, Bugged Folders: I renamed my user folder including the required changes in Computer Management and Registry Editor. It glitched my iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos folders in the file explorer main menu and caused other problems, so I reverted back. Still, there are these two blank folders....
  8. Unable to delete leftovers folder from previous windows install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete leftovers folder from previous windows install: Hi, I'm unable to delete a folder getting the Folder Access Denied window. I have tried deleting by: rmdir /q /s LEFTOV~1 but still get the error below: LEFTOV~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DAO\dao360.dll - Access is denied. LEFTOV~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\ink\Alphabet.xml - Access...
  9. DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted: I'm working on a machine, Dell Vostro 230 running V1803. All attempts to update to a more current version fail with error relating to bad path. I also noticed I cannot update any driver even if I download drivers direct from Dell. So I investigated and the DriverStore...
  10. DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers: I noticed in DriverStoreExplorer that I have somehow ended up with two identical drivers...prosetextension is what it's called. Obviously by Intel. They are the same version as well. I tried to delete them, or at least one, and both are unable to be deleted as both are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete windows.old driverstore

2. iaioi2ce.sys cant delete