Windows 10: Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

Discus and support Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Found a solution. Follow this link and use the technique outlined in Option 3 ("Boot to Command Line"): Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rkennedy01, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

Found a solution. Follow this link and use the technique outlined in Option 3 ("Boot to Command Line"):

Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 8

Worked like a charm. Just remember to disable Bitlocker before attempting to boot into the Advanced repair options, etc.

RCK

rkennedy01, Jul 29, 2015
  2. rvcjew Win User

Glad you found a way to get rid of it as that folder is a bare to keep for SSD users.

rvcjew, Jul 29, 2015
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can also boot into safe mode which lets you use explorer. I had to do that to get rid of old users' folders.

NavyLCDR, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

I just thought I'd give this a try, checked my C: drive and Windows.old was already gone. Strange.

Boozad, Jul 29, 2015
  5. musky Win User
    worked foe me thanks,but it still keep all programs associtated with the windows 7 i had in it.

musky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

1. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders - Similar Threads - Can't Delete old

2. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  3. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  4. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  5. Can't delete old Windows folder

Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  6. Delete leftover custom cursor

Delete leftover custom cursor: Hello, I have installed a custom cursor and I wanted to delete it and to do it I have gone to this windows path: C:\Windows\Cursorsand from here I have deleted its file and gone to check in mouse cursor to check whether it's still there or not, but it was still there. Please...
  7. Leftover, Bugged Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Leftover, Bugged Folders: I renamed my user folder including the required changes in Computer Management and Registry Editor. It glitched my iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos folders in the file explorer main menu and caused other problems, so I reverted back. Still, there are these two blank folders....
  8. Unable to delete leftovers folder from previous windows install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete leftovers folder from previous windows install: Hi, I'm unable to delete a folder getting the Folder Access Denied window. I have tried deleting by: rmdir /q /s LEFTOV~1 but still get the error below: LEFTOV~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DAO\dao360.dll - Access is denied. LEFTOV~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\ink\Alphabet.xml - Access...
  9. DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted: I'm working on a machine, Dell Vostro 230 running V1803. All attempts to update to a more current version fail with error relating to bad path. I also noticed I cannot update any driver even if I download drivers direct from Dell. So I investigated and the DriverStore...
  10. DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers: I noticed in DriverStoreExplorer that I have somehow ended up with two identical drivers...prosetextension is what it's called. Obviously by Intel. They are the same version as well. I tried to delete them, or at least one, and both are unable to be deleted as both are...