Windows 10: Can't delete windows.old folder

Discus and support Can't delete windows.old folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrade to w10 anniv noticed a Windows.old folder on C: I ran cleanmgr/systems files it still remains. Went to the tutorial and tried all 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meebers, Aug 4, 2016.

1. meebers Win User

Can't delete windows.old folder

After upgrade to w10 anniv noticed a Windows.old folder on C: I ran cleanmgr/systems files it still remains. Went to the tutorial and tried all 3 options. Did not delete it. Option 3 once executed as admin, said access was denied. " Strange" thing about the properties is, that it is only 444kb.

Question 2. Also on C: is a folder "Windows10Update". Can that be deleted?

:)

meebers, Aug 4, 2016
  2. Evan Risk Win User

Windows.old won't delete

I'm trying to delete my Windows.old folder. I followed all the steps in the link

Delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10

But I can't get the blasted folder to delete. Is there any other way to delete this folder?

Evan Risk, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Does anything happens if i delete the folder "windows.old"?

Actually my first OS was windows 8 and i upgraded it to 8.1, now 8.1 to 10. after i tried to delete windows.old folder only my windows 8.1 folder only deleted, and windows 8 folder still remains(i think so, am not sure about this) now i can't delete remain
    windows.old folder any other option to delete that windows.old folder too?? any one please help.

RajathManohar, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Can't delete windows.old folder

I did the disk clean up and it cleared most of the files in the folder but left the folder and a couple of driver folders. Also left a windows upgrade folder which I have never seen before. Wasn't sure about deleting that one so I cut and transferred to another computer on my network to see what would happen. The computer still runs fine. Only the Window.old folder remains.

stealth2920, Aug 4, 2016
  5. If you delete it you can't go back to last known good configuration before the update. If you are satisfied that your system is stable after the Anniversary Update and need the drive space I would delete the contents. I believe the actual folder stays put and maybe some artifacts will remain in it that just refuse to delete (my system has two windows old folders with some do nothing files). Do not follow my advice on this unless you are dead sure positive that your system is rock solid stable. Maybe wait a week or two.

The proper procedure is here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

lopedoggie, Aug 4, 2016
  6. That worked on my computer but it's my wifes computer that kept the windows.old folder. Those options didn't work and apparently didn't work for the OP either. I have Macrium back ups but not sure it is worth it since the folder is almost empty and doesn't take up any space.

stealth2920, Aug 4, 2016
  7. Whatphoeb Win User
    After a Windows Upgrade, by default, a scheduled task is created and will run after four weeks to delete the Windows.Old directory. Just leave it alone.

Whatphoeb, Aug 4, 2016
  8. meebers Win User

I would like to see the reference for that, very interesting. This might be the 30 day "try it or revert" option. I do not think this will revert anyways since it is only 444kb. Usually several GB? I have updated 3 computers so far, this is the only one that has windows.old and Windows10Update. Disk cleanup has taken care of 2 out of 3.

Yes I am sure I do not want to go back because I have iso's and images of the disk now.

meebers, Aug 4, 2016
  9. TairikuOkami, Aug 4, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    You could look into this thread - Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Usually if disk cleanup doesn't delete Windows.old it is because of some badly written driver (in my case it is the Intel Display Audio Driver) which locks the files and so they can't be deleted (see here for example). Please have a look in Windows.old and show us what is there.

C:\Windows10Update is not a standard directory created by the upgrade. Have a look at what it contains then you can rename and then delete it if it doesn't look interesting.

11. meebers Win User
    This is whats in the folder windows.old

meebers, Aug 5, 2016
  12. I would leave it alone until it will be naturally cleaned up.
    How to free over 10GB of disk space after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    NOTE: The Windows.old folder will automatically be cleaned up after 10 days

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 5, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

It should be run as administrator.

CountMike, Aug 5, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the BEST way of reverting to a previous version of Windows is the following:

1) BEFORE upgrade image your Windows partition - don't forget the system reserved one as well --something like Free Macrium works fine.

2) After upgrade if you want to revert simply restore your backup image --incidentally before reverting take another backup of your updated windows as you might want to use it again without the re-install / upgrade process having to be re-run.

Normally the windows.old file can be deleted in the Disk cleanup --can't say it asked to be run as admin.

Another foolproof method is to boot say a Linux Mint system from a USB stick and use the file manager to delete the windows file. File manager in Linux is usually called something like Dolphin, Nautilus, Midnight commander etc --it's pretty obvious which one. Linux Mint is reasonably like Windows for doing this type of stuff.

I'm running a Linux VM - same principle applies

Can't delete windows.old folder [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016
  15. Windows10Upgrade folder is dated Aug 3. Please let us know if it's still there after Aug 13. I know that previous article mentions 10 days but maybe it will take a couple of more days. I'd like to know what to expect when my Win10 Anniversary Upgrade happens.

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't delete windows.old folder - Similar Threads - Can't delete old

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Old Windows folder delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  8. Can't delete old windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't delete old windows 10: Windows 10 was crashing when trying to install updates so I bought a SSD (860 EVO) and download a Windows 10 ISO file which was put on a third HDD. I installed the new windows 10 on the SSD (now named C:) and all has been working fine. But it appears I still have some files...
  9. Cant delete windows old folder

Cant delete windows old folder: I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October...
  10. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791