Windows 10: Cant delete windows old folder

Discus and support Cant delete windows old folder in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bunny007, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Bunny007 Win User

Cant delete windows old folder

I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October ‎2016, ‏‎05:19:47which was about the time I brought the lap top.

:)

Bunny007, Feb 19, 2017
  2. f13_dirt Win User

Can't delete old Skydrive folder full of placeholders

I have a Windows 10 computer upgraded from 8.1. I have two "Onedrive" folders. One is actually my current Onedrive folder which syncs with no issues. However, my second folder is actually my old "Skydrive" folder which is full of the "placeholder" files
    with the blue sync arrows on them. No matter what I try, I can't get rid of the old Skydrive/Onedrive folder. Nothing I do in the registry, permissions, ownership... ANYTHING,,, will get rid of the old, unsyncing placeholder files from the original Windows
    8.1 installation. How do I remove this folder?

f13_dirt, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Ariel Aba Win User
    Can't delete old Skydrive folder full of placeholders

Hi,

A possible reason why you are unable to delete the folder is because the folder looks like it's syncing. I suggest you attempt to
    delete the folder from File Explorer
    and check if you can delete the folder afterward. Another option is to perform a
    reset
    on OneDrive. Be aware that resetting OneDrive re-syncs all your OneDrive files, which could take some time depending on how many files you’re syncing.

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run window.

2. In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should
    disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the
    Run window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Let us know if that resolves your issue.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

You could try booting into safe mode & deleting it from there.

Bastet, Feb 19, 2017
  5. Bunny007 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. I got the message that I need permission to carry out this action as in normal mode.

Bunny007, Feb 19, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    I assume that you have access to an Admin account? If so try opening Explorer.exe as admin [right click on the file in windows folder - run as administrator] and try to delete the file from there. If this does not work, try logging in as the hidden administrator Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 and then deleting from the file manager

Barman58, Feb 19, 2017
  7. I would guess Previous Windows Installations doesn't appear because the Windows.old folder is in a different place. Normally it is at C:\Windows.old can you move it there ?
    Strange that your Windows.old folder is on the Desktop, did you buy this laptop new and update to Windows 10 or did you buy it 2nd hand already updated

Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Feb 19, 2017
  8. Bunny007 Win User

Thanks for your reply. The lap top was new and came with a 120 GB SSD C drive and a 1 TB hard drive. I did ask a friend to move the my documents folder over to the d drive to save space which may have caused the problem ( I am not very technical ). When I right click on the folder I am not give the option to move the file.
    If I drag the file to a new location it doesn't delete the original which of course still cant be deleted.

Bunny007, Feb 19, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    You need to take ownership of the folder and contents first. It is currently "owned" by TrustedInstaller". Follow this tutorial for adding the take ownership option to your right click context menu. Then take ownership of the folder and delete it.

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

f14tomcat, Feb 19, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    Yes, follow this advice. I had a similar problem which was due to a residual driver file left behind in window.old for some reason. I had to change permissions as above to remove it.

Steve C, Feb 20, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Sometimes taking ownership does not work, sometimes enabling the built in Admin account does not work, sometimes Disk Cleanup does not work.

But booting to a live Linux version always works, I had the same issue once and that`s how I solved it *Smile

As stated by Steve, there could be a driver in the Windows.old folder that the system is still using, and that`s why it may not let you delete the folder, makes sense.

AddRAM, Feb 20, 2017
  12. PiKo Win User
    You should start disc clean up with the right mouse button: run as administrator.

13. f14tomcat Win User

I had a similar problem a while back with a dangling driver "In Use", it was still pointing to the the driver in C:\Windows.old\System32\Drivers. An audio driver, I believe. I used Autoruns (Sysinternals) to disable the driver from loading. Rebooted. After taking ownership, deleted folder. Enabled driver in Autoruns. Rebooted. System picked up and loaded the driver from system32/drivers in C:\Windows. All happy.

f14tomcat, Feb 20, 2017
  14. Win10Pro Win User
    Win10Pro, Feb 20, 2017
  15. zooburner Win User
    That's what I do, works 100% of the time, you can do anything then

zooburner, Feb 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Cant delete windows old folder - Similar Threads - Cant delete old

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Old windows folder cant open

Old windows folder cant open: hello, i recently installed windows on a user's laptop and went to old windows folder after installing to get back user data. but the folders i was looking for are in a form of shortcut and cannot open and says "cant locate or the drive could have been moved or deleted. the...
  8. cant delete windows app folder from old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant delete windows app folder from old laptop: i had a windows app folder on my d: but my laptop broke. now i have a new pc and i want to install apps on my d: but i cant because there is a windows app that already exists and i tried o delete it but i cant submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  9. Old Windows folder delete

Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  10. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791