Windows 10: Cant delete windows old folder

Discus and support Cant delete windows old folder in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; File Assassin from Malwarebytes is my favourite tool aside alive Linux disk. Malwarebytes | FileASSASSIN - Free Software to Delete Locked Files Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bunny007, Feb 19, 2017.

1. zooburner Win User

Cant delete windows old folder

zooburner, Feb 20, 2017
  2. Bunny007 Win User

A very big thank you everyone. After following Steve C instructions I was able to move the folder to the correct place and run disk clean-up and successfully remove windows old. I now have 20 GB more space on my C drive. Once again a very big thank you *Smile

Bunny007, Feb 20, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    You used the Take Ownership?

f14tomcat, Feb 20, 2017
  4. Bunny007 Win User

Yes I think so. I got a bit confused with what was going on in the end ( probable lack of grey matter ) but before following take ownership instructions I couldn't move the file anywhere.*Smile

Bunny007, Feb 20, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Good! Glad it fixed it so you could do what you wanted. That's all that matters. *Smile

f14tomcat, Feb 20, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I think f14tomcat gave you the original advice which I seconded.

Steve C, Feb 20, 2017
  7. Bunny007 Win User
    Sorry thanks to everyone. My computer is lighting fast now*Smile*Smile*Smile

Bunny007, Feb 20, 2017
  8. Lambert58 Win User

I tried all in this thread to delete or move C:\Windows.old including adding take ownership of to my context, AOMEI Backup - which made a backup to another drive at least minus the ones in use but did not keep a log so I could review these files in use, file assassin, ADK, logged on as Admin, and some others. I cant find Previous Windows Versions Installations either which was mentioned.

I was able to change ownership to Admin, but system also has full permissions and when logged in as admin it says I need system permission, I could delete all inheritance from system, but got scared off. I was able to delete a few individual files, but not all, and going through 12,000 files one x one is not a fun proposition.

My Windows.old file is 21GB, and it never gets deleted despite what MS Help pages report Just had Fall update today and it increased again. My C: is only 55GB and this is 21GB of it while I have TB's worth of external storage connected on my personal, where I apparently am not the owner, if I were, I could delete this and would have days ago, but still cannot.

The reason being is that I have over 150 files that are in use from Windows.old when starting in safe mode. That is crazy. Some from a printer I no longer own. And if they auto start in safe mode, how can I kill them as they will always be running.

I'm assuming the boot from a live Linux is for Linux only.

Per f14Tomcat / SteveC's comment about using Autoruns from systeminternals. I d/l it and ran and saved a copy of its findings. Quite detailed and color coordinated. I picked one, then a second random file. The file was from an old printer I no longer have which I can find in explorer, but not delete as it is apparently in use, then tried file assassin and it was unable to even locate the file at all.

pretty stuck, once again

Lambert58, Dec 3, 2017
  9. Barman58 Win User
    We don't actually close threads so the answer is yes.

first option I would try is windows default one - right click on the c: drive in Explorer, Select Properties, and check for a Disk Cleanup button, if there click on it and also select the option to also cleanup system files, thesr should be an entry for the windows old or Leftover install files there select this and any other options (all are pretty safe and release space), and let it proceed.

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If your previous attempts have prevented this standard method, Download a Suitable Linux distribution and use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick (you can use a DVD if you wish and have the ability to create these), when you boot from the Linux media you need to select the Live option an then use the Linux OS to navigate to the Windows.Old and delete it, As Linux does not use the NTFS security model it can usually delete files that are protected in windows ( Be careful as you can delete other sensitive files and destroy a windows install)

Mint or Ubuntu are the two Linux distros that I know are capable and simple to use for windows users but if you need more information post back and I'm sure one of our Linux users will be able to assist

Barman58, Dec 3, 2017
  10. Lambert58 Win User
    Barman58:
    I followed your advice, although I had already ran disc cleanup, this time I just went for it in extended cleanup, hit all but user file history and windows esd install files. Only because they seemed they might come in handy, but that was just a shot in the dark.
    windows.old is not showing up in C: where it had previously. Freed up 10GB on C:
    The odd part is that windows.old was 21GB, what happened to the other 11GB.
    I also had backedup windows.old, at least all that I could, by utilizing the suggestion of AOMEI Backup to an external drive, just in case.
    I still need to dig around a bit as I was not expecting to remove files from any other than C:, not sure if I missed a step but had never ran the extended cleanup, that trick alone was worth the price of admission.

Well Barman, from one 58 to another, a tip of me hat to ya, Kudos, a double sawbuck in yer jar, and Now BARMAN58 at the bar is a friend of mine, He gets me my drinks for free, And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke, But there's someplace that he'd rather be. He says, ", I believe this is killing me." As a smile ran away from his face, "Well, I'm sure that I could be a movie star,If I could get out of this place."
    AND I am just a monkey man and I'm glad you are a Monkey too man!

Lambert58, Dec 5, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    You can't beat a bit of Billy Joel *Smile

The ESD file may be the location of the Missing Space @Kari is our "Go To Guy" for this kind of information ( he should now be aware of this thread )

only issue I have is that a Chimp is a Great Ape rather than a Monkey *Wink

Barman58, Dec 5, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    I am not sure what the issue is. If all of Windows.old has been removed, that's it.

13. Barman58 Win User

Kari, Are the ESD install files part of the Windows Old? and what would happen if the set the extended disk cleanup to clear the windows old but not the ESD files? this case the Windows old showed as 21GB and after removal the reclaimed space is only 10 GB there is an 11GB difference that does not seem to make sense *Smile

Barman58, Dec 5, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    Yes. Windows.old contains user and app data to allow restoring previous Windows version. The upgrade files do not belong to previous installation per se, but as they were already downloaded and prepared when upgrade was done, they too will be moved and can after the upgrade be found in C:\Windows.old\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and its subfolders.

Removing previous Windows installation with extended disk clean-up will remove them.

I have never seen Disk Clean-up to show accurate information. In most cases I've noticed that for instance when Disk Clean-up tells me Previous Windows installations (Windows.old) being let's say 30 GB, only some 15 to 20 GB will be freed. I wouldn't worry about that.

15. Barman58 Win User
    Thank you Kari *Smile

Hope this explains things for @Lambert58

Barman58, Dec 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Cant delete windows old folder - Similar Threads - Cant delete old

2. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  3. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  4. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Old windows folder cant open

Old windows folder cant open: hello, i recently installed windows on a user's laptop and went to old windows folder after installing to get back user data. but the folders i was looking for are in a form of shortcut and cannot open and says "cant locate or the drive could have been moved or deleted. the...
  8. cant delete windows app folder from old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant delete windows app folder from old laptop: i had a windows app folder on my d: but my laptop broke. now i have a new pc and i want to install apps on my d: but i cant because there is a windows app that already exists and i tried o delete it but i cant submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  9. Old Windows folder delete

Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  10. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791