Windows 10: Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

Discus and support Can't Delete Windowsapp folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I install my windowsapp games on a separate hard drive. After reinstalling windows, I am no longer able to access or delete this folder. Most of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottBrady86, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

I install my windowsapp games on a separate hard drive. After reinstalling windows, I am no longer able to access or delete this folder. Most of the drive is being used by files and folders I CANNOT format or delete. So formatting the drive is not an option. I have tried changing the permission by doing the following...

Right click on folder / Properties

Security / Advanced

Selecting "change" owner

In "Enter names" I type out the name of the new device and select "check names"

Then I select "replace owner on all subcontainers and objects"

I hit apply, and it tells me to close all the windows and reopen them for access

As soon as I attempt to delete the folder I get the same error. I have a windowsapp folder on drive and I can't delete it.

I want to be able to delete this folder so it's not consuming space on the drive.

:)

ScottBrady86, Nov 24, 2018

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't Delete Windowsapp folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't Delete Windowsapp folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Nov 24, 2018
  3. jkteddy77 Win User
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

How to delete WindowsApps?

Good day! I apologize that you are having this issue and I am hoping we can work through it and fix it.

1. Click windows key + X > open a command prompt (admin) > type or copy these commands:

takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /a /r /d y

icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsCan't Delete Windowsapp folder :(OI)(CI)F /t /c

After this step, try to delete it again. It should be known that the windowsapps folder has insane security on it. It is extremely difficult to get rid of because it is vital to a lot of apps/services on Windows. It may not be possible. In the future, A lot
    of good Windows Apps will not work because the folder is missing and you may be out of luck if you ever need it again.

Zackary Vanosdol, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

1. Can't Delete Windowsapp folder - Similar Threads - Can't Delete Windowsapp

2. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  3. Need to delete files within the WindowsApps folder but can't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to delete files within the WindowsApps folder but can't: A while ago I deleted Minecraft, and now when I go to reinstall it I get an error that leads me to the WindowsApps folder. I figured out how to get into it, but I can't delete anything in it. Below I'll link pictures too. If anybody needs me to elaborate let me...
  4. Need to delete files within the WindowsApps folder but can't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to delete files within the WindowsApps folder but can't: A while ago I deleted Minecraft, and now when I go to reinstall it I get an error that leads me to the WindowsApps folder. I figured out how to get into it, but I can't delete anything in it. Below I'll link pictures too. If anybody needs me to elaborate let me...
  5. Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps: I'm trying to delete "C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.32762.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe". I have Full control under security, also checked advanced and it states Full control there. However when I try to delete any folder in windowsapps I get the...
  6. I can't delete the windowsapps folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete the windowsapps folder.: I already done the instructions in the "How to delete the 'WindowsApps' folder on Windows 10" but i still cant delete the folder. When i try to delete it it says "You require permission from *****/PC (which is me) to make changes to this folder. Please help me. Here is the...
  7. Can't delete WindowsApps folder created by the Xbox program.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete WindowsApps folder created by the Xbox program.: Let me just state that not giving users full control of their PC is absolutely **** unacceptable. What the **** is Microsoft thinking? Second, yes. I've tried changing permissions, it doesn't always work. Microsoft needs to unfuck the condescending view they have of their...
  8. Can't delete folder - don't have rights - Windowsapps

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete folder - don't have rights - Windowsapps: VErsion 1909 Build 18363.778 please see video. I have these leftover folders from after uninstalling games through Windows apps, like Forza 4 - the Sunrise folder thing is 74gb! And i can't delete it, says i don't have permission. What do i need to do?...
  9. Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?: I'm absolutely baffled by this issue. Short story: I have 4 SSDs in my desktop. Reinstalled Windows 10 to a new SSD. I had the Xbox Game Pass for a few months and installed various games to my D, E, and F drives. They're all sitting in WindowsApps taking up a ton of...
  10. WindowsApps folder can't be deleted on secondary disk

in Windows 10 Support
    WindowsApps folder can't be deleted on secondary disk: I have an SSD (This PC) for Windows, HDD (secondary disk) for files and whatnot. Running Windows 10 64-bit Home. I saw that you could move apps to another disk through Apps & features in Settings, so I decided to try it out. I moved an app to my secondary disk, and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scottbrady86 cant delete windowsapp folder