Windows 10: Can't disable Link Power Management

Discus and support Can't disable Link Power Management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed some drivers through an automated driver finder software a week ago and it installed some AHCI drivers from intel, but without an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thein, Nov 30, 2019.

1. thein Win User

Can't disable Link Power Management

I installed some drivers through an automated driver finder software a week ago and it installed some AHCI drivers from intel, but without an interface, just the drivers.

After that my HDD keeps shutting off if I'm not using it, causing an unnecessary noise every time it spins up. I tried installing the drivers again manually to have an interface and to disable LPM but that didn't do anything at all, even if I select Disabled or Enabled it just won't disable it.

I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Pro (1909) again and no matter what I do, I can't seem to turn off LPM..

Any advice?

I'm using a Z97 motherboard and my HDD is a SAMSUNG HD103SJ

:)

thein, Nov 30, 2019

2. Platform Power Management CapabilitiesCan't disable Link Power Management :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern with the battery report. Active State Power Management or ASPM is a power management protocol used to manage PCI Express-based serial link devices as links become less active over time. It is normally used on laptops and
    other mobile Internet devices to extend battery life.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are there any devices connected to the computer?

Please respond to the private message with the required information for further investigation. However, we would suggest you to perform these steps.

Change the advanced power plan settings.

1. Right click at Windows Start menu icon and select Control Panel.
    2. Set the View by to: Small icons.
    3. Click on Power Option, then click on Change plan setting.
    4. Select Changeadvanced power settings.
    5. Scroll down and expand PCI Express and
      Link State Power Management
    6. Change the option for both On battery
      and Plugged in to Maximum power savings.
    7. Then click Ok.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Disable "Power Surge on USB" message

Hi David,

If the system detects that a USB port is going over the power limit, the system is set to notify the user by default. However, since you mentioned that you're still getting the notification after you disabled the alerts, we suggest following these steps
    instead:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Device Manager.
    • Click the drop-down arrow beside Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click anything that has USB Host Controller in its name, and select
      Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer. The driver will be reinstalled automatically.

Let us know if the error notification disappears after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Can't disable Link Power Management

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesCan't disable Link Power Management :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

Hi Hallman,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you have issues with Power on Surface after you updated to Windows 10.

This may be arise if you did not configured the power settings properly.

Follow the below methods and heck if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it resolves the issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane. Click on
      Power.

• Click on Advanced on the power troubleshooter dialog box and click on
      Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Follow the below method if the issue persist.

Method 2:

I suggest you to follow the below steps to install the latest updates through Windows updates and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open the Start menu and type
      Windows update in the search bar.

• Click on Windows update and
      Check for the updates.

• Download and install if there are any pending updates to be installed.

I suggest you to refer the below link for more information about Power problems on Surface.

Surface battery and power

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/battery-and-power?os=windows-10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Can't disable Link Power Management

1. Can't disable Link Power Management - Similar Threads - Can't disable Link

2. Power management / Disabling Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power management / Disabling Devices: Having a ridiculously annoying issue where a USB mouse on a laptop will turn itself off with power managementWHILE DEVICE IS IN USE. The temporary fix is to disable the power management but it continually turns itself off. we switched to Bluetooth devices due to the...
  3. Power management / Disabling Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power management / Disabling Devices: Having a ridiculously annoying issue where a USB mouse on a laptop will turn itself off with power managementWHILE DEVICE IS IN USE. The temporary fix is to disable the power management but it continually turns itself off. we switched to Bluetooth devices due to the...
  4. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  5. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  6. Add AHCI Link Power Management

in Windows 10 Support
    Add AHCI Link Power Management: Add ACCI Link Power Management 175408
  7. how to disable Link State Power Management in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to disable Link State Power Management in Windows 10 IoT Enterprise: On Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 64 bit, how to disable Link State Power Management before installing mini PCIe card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-to-disable-link-state-power-management-in/26b46f6b-bbb0-4906-905d-d8146c5f88b7
  8. Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options in Windows The USB 3 Link Power Management setting in Power Options allows users to specify the power management policy to use for...
  9. Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10: How to: Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Link State Power Management' from Power Options in Windows 10 Power Options that allows users to specify the Active State Power Management (ASPM) policy to use for capable...
  10. Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to configure the link power management mode for disk and storage devices that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i enable or disabl link power management? windows 10

2. how to disable link power management