Windows 10: Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore

Discus and support Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, Since updating to Windows 10 version 1903, the option to disable the touchpad while a mouse is connected is gone. On another post in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jessica48, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jessica48 Win User

Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore

Hi all,

Since updating to Windows 10 version 1903, the option to disable the touchpad while a mouse is connected is gone. On another post in the community, one of the microsoft people said that option and functionality has been straight up removed. You know, because we love it when updates remove functionality that we use! Another post said to look under Ease of Access on the control panel and go to touchpad there, but I don't have anything on that page for the touchpad.

So is there any way I can still do this? I've seen people respond to others with instructions to fully disable the touchpad, but that's a pain in the **** if my bluetooth mouse disconnects (which it does sometimes) or it's batteries die or it dies period. I suppose I still have my touchscreen so I wouldn't be totally locked out of my laptop, but it's still not ideal. I use the touchpad when my mouse fails - and that's the only time. Is there any way to make it still act this way now that they've taken the options away?

Jessica

:)

Jessica48, Aug 15, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 15, 2019
  3. nxavis9 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore

Touchpad can't disabled

Hello Joseph,

If your laptop has a touchpad utility software, you may check if it has an option to disable the touchpad. For instructions please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select View by: Small icons.
    • Open Mouse.
    • Click on Touchpad tab.
    • Under the Touchpad sub-menu, click Disable.
    • Click Apply, and OK.
    Disclaimer: If you disable the touchpad, you need to use the keyboard or external mouse to navigate.

We'll wait for the result.

Antoneth Ber, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore

1. Can't disable touchpad while using a mouse anymore - Similar Threads - Can't disable touchpad

2. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected: I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap"...
  3. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected: I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap"...
  4. Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.: Why did Microsoft not allow touchpad to be disabled when using mouse? It is so idiotic!!! It is very frustrating. I will have to cover the touchpad with hard plastic or cardboard so as not to accidentally move the cursor....
  5. Using BLUETOOTH Microsoft mouse and touchpad will not disable.

Using BLUETOOTH Microsoft mouse and touchpad will not disable.: All the posts about disabling the touchpad on my HP Envy talk about when using a USB mouse. I use a Microsoft BLUETOOTH mouse, and I can find no posts anywhere to help me turn off this @@@%^^& touchpad. I do coding several hours a day and spend far too much DANGEROUS time...
  6. I can't Disable Touchpad Anymore

I can't Disable Touchpad Anymore: Honestly what the **** with this latest Windows 10 update? I can no longer turn off the touchpad when using a mouse and it's making it difficult to work. I do NOT have the option to do so from the Device Manager. I do NOT have the option to do so from settings. So...
  7. mouse not disabling touchpad

mouse not disabling touchpad: mouse not disabling touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-not-disabling-touchpad/1e36e4be-29f9-416e-b35b-679cbf16f790
  8. Can't use touchpad while typing on keyboard

Can't use touchpad while typing on keyboard: As the title suggests I can't use touchpad while I'm typing. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 330. It has windows 10 and synaptics touchpad. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-touchpad-while-typing-on-keyboard/4b8044ab-a5e0-412f-8da7-0ba9344749f2
  9. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse: How do I use only the plug in mouse and not the mouse pad? * Moved from IE10/other ***Modified title from: I want to use my mouse that plugs in and not the mouse pad but can notset it up.***...
  10. Can't disable touchpad

Can't disable touchpad: I do not like the touch pad. When I had Windows 8.1, I simply disabled it. But Windows 10 has a mind of it's own. I go into settings for touch pad and put a check mark where it says "disable touch pad". But as soon as I restart, the touch is enabled. I go where I put the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. touchpadhow to disable when you have a mouse