Windows 10: Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues...

Discus and support Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I'm a computer noob and I just installed a new 500 gb ssd into my laptop that still had my hdd in it. I tried to clean install the Windows 10 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jk000, Jan 17, 2021.

1. jk000 Win User

Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues...

Hello! I'm a computer noob and I just installed a new 500 gb ssd into my laptop that still had my hdd in it. I tried to clean install the Windows 10 on the new ssd with my 1tb hdd in it still so now it will not boot without the hdd. After researching around and reading posts and tips for people with my same issue, I tried taking out the hdd and installing the Windows with just ssd and during the first phase of Windows installation it says that it cannot install into the ssd because it can't make partitions. So...how do I fix this? Someone called what I did a nightmare situation...please someone wake me up from this nightmare.

Summary:
    Original laptop:

-Dell Inspiron 15 5570
    -1TB hdd
    -Windows 10

What I want:
    -to have my new ssd as the only boot and use hdd as storage

What I did:
    -Installed Samsung 970 EVO 500 gb ssd
    -Changed the ssd to AHCI
    -tried to clean install Windows 10 through usb with the media tool
    -install worked but since my original hdd was still in there and I didn't do anything to it, it seems to be using the boot files left there
    -So I took out hdd and tried to reinstall Windows 10 on just the ssd
    -Windows Installation said it couldn't install because ssd could not be partitioned

Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues... [​IMG]

:)

jk000, Jan 17, 2021

2. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC?
    There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD on a Laptop PC that was previously upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade just prior to the free upgrade becoming unavailable. About 6 months ago intermittent weird problems began to appear and with the help of various support groups and Windows Community we came to the conclusion that the HDD needed to be replaced(failed Seagate's drive test) with an SSD (My Choice) and a clean install of Windows 10(corrupted data files in the OS).
    I was given a URL to download and burn to DVD an ISO file of Windows 10 PRO 64bit OS. I purchased a 240GB Sandisk SSD. I don't need to partition this drive as the single C: partition is adequate for size and speed.
    Is there a step by step procedure listed somewhere that preps(formats?) the SSD using disk management for Windows 10 and then using the ISO file that I burned to a DVD, installs Windows 10 on to my SSD? I am not familiar with ISO files and am assuming that is something that is sent to you to boot from and install from when you order SW from MS.

RogerAttila, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

I had no issues upgrading from your exact OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10. All my partitions from 2 SSD's and 3 HDD's were fine. Windows 10 even kept the custom names I have for the various drives. A clean install on your SSD shouldn't affect your 2TB drive.

InhaleOblivion, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues...

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues...

1. Can't do clean install of Windows 10 on new ssd and also hdd issues... - Similar Threads - Can't clean install

2. Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only: Hello all. I need to do a clean Windows 10 install on my laptop (I want to sell it, and therefore need to disassociate my Windows account with the OS installation). I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD (M.2 2280 PCIE NVMe) and leave the HDD for storage only. Windows is...
  3. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  4. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  5. Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD

Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD: I have a Samsung Laptop which had Windows 7 on it. I have replaced the HDD with a new, unused SSD (500Gb). I then tried installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB created using the Microsoft tool. I changed the boot order to USB 1st, and set the SATA Mode to AHCI manually....
  6. Can't do clean install on SSD

Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599
  7. Clean install windows 10 on new hdd

Clean install windows 10 on new hdd: Step by Step clean install windows 10 on brand new hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-windows-10-on-new-hdd/ea44534d-7c75-469b-adf6-45d18a481b0d
  8. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  9. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...
  10. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte: How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC? There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean...