Windows 10: Cant do fresh install for DVD

Discus and support Cant do fresh install for DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think ramram55 was trying to get OP to change first boot device to CDROM in the BIOS which, based on BIOS screen image posted, they hadn't done at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gbu, Aug 21, 2015.

1. topgundcp Win User

Cant do fresh install for DVD

It does not matter what order it's in from Boot Menu and that's the whole purpose of Boot Menu, It allows you to temporarily boot from any Device regardless the order of the boot device. The next boot without Boot Menu, it will default back to the boot order in BIOS.

topgundcp, Aug 21, 2015
  2. DoItJust Win User

Not trying to steal your thread here gbu *Cool, just share my experience.
    I have a very similar problem trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB:
    Windows 10 x86, boots from DVD or USB without probs,
    Windows 10 x64, from DVD loads the blue window and then nothing more. Have to switch off/on to get out of it. From USB - nothing, just blank, some HD activity and then nothing, ctrl/Alt/Del restarts

DoItJust, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Word Man Win User
    I understand your point given the meaning of "Boot Menu" nowadays, i.e., a direct option to immediately boot from the selected device. My alternative interpretation is that this "Boot Menu" is simply an offered change in the boot order which the user changes, saves to the BIOS, and, upon reboot, goes into effect. In that case, changing the "Boot First" device to CDROM would first attempt boot from that and, if user presses any key to boot from CD, it boots from the CD and never even looks at the HDD. He doesn't WANT it to look at the HDD in this case.

My laptop offers both scenarios, depending on whether I'm using UEFI or Legacy boot. Granted, I don't know anything about the DualBIOS on that Gigabyte motherboard.

Word Man, Aug 21, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

That is the whole point. When select from boot Menu, the BIOS completely ignores the boot order and will boot straight from the device you selected. The boot order in the BIOS does not change.

topgundcp, Aug 21, 2015
  5. big10 Win User
    Withdrew.

Wrongly posted.

big10, Aug 21, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    In the case of a one time boot device selection, I agree. However, there are still BIOSes out there where you can save the first boot device order in any fashion you specify, and they stick, boot after boot. In two specific examples at home, I have changed boot order from HDD first to DVD first and, if it finds a DVD in the drive, it will offer to boot from it by pressing any key. If no DVD is in the drive, it moves on to the HDD. I think this is what OP is looking for in this case. I'm only trying to relate to OP's needs and interpret the BIOS screen shot they posted here.

Word Man, Aug 21, 2015
  7. GBU
    gbu Win User
    I have selected DVD as the first boot in the Boot Menu but it still just loads back to Windows.
    My Boot Menu just allows that option for the first time after that it switches back to boot from HDD

Should i go into BIOS and try changing the order there to see if that makes a difference?

8. DoItJust Win User

Do that

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  9. GBU
    gbu Win User
    Just tried still no luck :/

Set BIOS to boot first from DVD, the activity lights flicker on the drive for a few seconds then just loads windows.

10. DoItJust Win User
    Your DVD drive (can't see it listed in your system spec) is it an IDE, SATA or USB drive? Is it listed in your BIOS as a CD/DVD drive?

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  11. GBU
    gbu Win User
    This is whats listed in BIOS and Device Manager.

When i first did the upgrade my DVD drive wasnt showing up so i followed these instructions from MS support to change the registry key (Resolution 5)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

It then showed up and has been working (playing dvds etc)

12. DoItJust Win User
    The OS (Win 7 or upgraded Win10) can see it after the reg fix, question is; can the BIOS identify it correctly. There should be another menu in the BIOS where you can list your hard drives, your CD/DVD drives, etc. Within each list of drives it shall be possible to select the order between the drives (eg. you have two hard drives so you must be able to tell the BIOS which one to boot from)
    Find that menu and look for where and how your BIOS identifies your CD/DVD drive

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  13. ramram55 Win User

The idea is to get the dvd boot up and I believe you have to physically install a blank hard drive, then do the boot up. I have try it with success. Just have to keep this going by hook or crook, this is getting so close yet so far, it is frustrating.

ramram55, Aug 22, 2015
  14. DoItJust Win User
    This is not what I'm referring to, this is just the first information page, you can't make any changes here. Anyway, doesn't matter. It's listed so it's there*Wink
    Can you disable IDE cahnnel 0 and repeat the experiment. (I suppose channel 1 master is not marked active, you can check that in the disk management tool when you run Windows. Channel 0 master should be marked active or boot)

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    This begs the question whether your DVD is a coaster. Any way to check that the DVD is bootable/readable on another machine?

Word Man, Aug 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Cant do fresh install for DVD - Similar Threads - Cant fresh install

2. Is Windows 10 dvd good only for fresh installs.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Windows 10 dvd good only for fresh installs.: I had to reinstall windows 7 home premium on my computer. Now I am unable to use the media creation tool to reinstall windows 11. I want to buy a windows 10 home software, but one of the listings I saw said it was not good for upgrades. Is that true?...
  3. Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM: I've tried to install Halo 2 on my PC with a DVD-ROM not an xbox disc and every time I try, it says "LIVE Gaming on Windows failed to initialise. This may be becuase another LIVE Gaming on Windows application such as the Halo 2 dedicated server is running on the same machine....
  4. Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM: I've tried to install Halo 2 on my PC with a DVD-ROM not an xbox disc and every time I try, it says "LIVE Gaming on Windows failed to initialise. This may be becuase another LIVE Gaming on Windows application such as the Halo 2 dedicated server is running on the same machine....
  5. DVD cant burn

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD cant burn: Windows 10 latest update unable to burn DVDHere is my case. I have 3 device as below.Device AA: Desktop PCDevice BB: Desktop PC 2017Device CC: Dell inspiron 57XX 2018All with win 10 latest update 10.0.19043, and Asus DVD RW.Before this latest windows update.I success burn the...
  6. Cant play dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant play dvd: I can not play a dvd on my Dynobook laptop no matter what player I use....why is that? Auto play is dead as well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-dvd/d15ac83d-102b-458e-9a44-086bf8f08b15
  7. Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fresh Install: I am building myself I new computer and I want to make sure that I have my key attached to my account so that I can transfer and use it on the new build. How do I go about making sure I can use the same product key on my computer? (The new build is still in the mail)...
  8. Fresh install

Fresh install: If I do a fresh install within windows what will I loose? 113686
  9. Cant do a fresh install - system corrupted

Cant do a fresh install - system corrupted: Hi All, I really messed up my laptop and am hoping someone has some helpful tips. First some history of how I got here. This laptop has been dreadfully slow ever since i upgraded to the Windows 10 update last year. Boot up could take 10 minutes and clicking on anything...
  10. Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode

Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode: Hello Guys, recently i purchased a new laptop that came with win10. The laptop is Lenovo z50-70 Unfortunately my brother managed to download so many viruses, that I decided to do clean Win 10 install. I had no important data on the laptop and I thought it would be...