Windows 10: Cant do fresh install for DVD

Discus and support Cant do fresh install for DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The idea is to get the dvd boot up and I believe you have to physically install a blank hard drive, then do the boot up. I have try it with success.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gbu, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Cant do fresh install for DVD

Not really.. even if the HDD/SDD has an OS on it the system can boot up from a DVD/USB flash drive, I've done it many times with no problem.

BunnyJ, Aug 22, 2015
  2. ramram55 Win User

the reason I bring up blank HD because I have one PC that needs this kind of boot up, I have tried many ways to get it boot up the OP has the same problem. At the end of the day I got clean install, that is what counts. I would not would want my HD to be blank and physically put the HD in. I believe the older PC has this kind of problem, not everyone though. By any mean necessary to get this done, this is the solution I proposed. *Biggrin

ramram55, Aug 22, 2015
  3. GBU
    gbu Win User
    I dont quite understand what you mean by put a blank HDD in as i dont have any blank hard drives.

I burned another DVD to try but same thing happens.

There is content on the disc though and starts to install if i run the exe. but then hits a problem.

I borrowed a friends USB and i can boot and install from that so must be a DVD issue.

Why can u only install form boot and not exe is there a difference?

4. Bumpkin Win User

If you want a clean install you must boot the pc with the install media.
    To do an upgrade, you can just start the setup.exe file in the media.

Whichever method you use, don't enter a product key when asked by the setup process.

Bumpkin, Aug 22, 2015
  5. ramram55 Win User
    what i meant blank HD is formatted with NTFS, with any data in your PC. What is so difficult to remove the current HD and replace with it.

ramram55, Aug 22, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, I don't personally keep blank hard drives laying around just to make my computer boot from DVD. Don't think I know anyone else that does either...

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Why should anyone need to do this when it's totally unnecessary??

BunnyJ, Aug 23, 2015
  8. ramram55 Win User

This is the last resort, my blank hd is easy to install in my laptop. That is, what I did with success.

ramram55, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    You can get a 8GB for under $10 from Amazon and lots of other places. Even Walmart has a 3 pack for $15 and 16GB for $5.99.

Ztruker, Aug 23, 2015
  10. GBU
    gbu Win User
    Ill but a USB and do it that way, i know that method works because i borrowed a friends one to see and it booted ok.

I would still like to know why i cant boot from the DVD though as with all previous back ups of OS i have booted this way via DVD in the past as i can burn and put safely away whereas ill most likely want to use the USB again at some point.

11. BunnyJ New Member
    Good idea... I much prefer a USB Flash Drive over a DVD any day.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant do fresh install for DVD - Similar Threads - Cant fresh install

2. Is Windows 10 dvd good only for fresh installs.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Windows 10 dvd good only for fresh installs.: I had to reinstall windows 7 home premium on my computer. Now I am unable to use the media creation tool to reinstall windows 11. I want to buy a windows 10 home software, but one of the listings I saw said it was not good for upgrades. Is that true?...
  3. Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM: I've tried to install Halo 2 on my PC with a DVD-ROM not an xbox disc and every time I try, it says "LIVE Gaming on Windows failed to initialise. This may be becuase another LIVE Gaming on Windows application such as the Halo 2 dedicated server is running on the same machine....
  4. Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant install Halo 2 on DVD-ROM: I've tried to install Halo 2 on my PC with a DVD-ROM not an xbox disc and every time I try, it says "LIVE Gaming on Windows failed to initialise. This may be becuase another LIVE Gaming on Windows application such as the Halo 2 dedicated server is running on the same machine....
  5. DVD cant burn

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD cant burn: Windows 10 latest update unable to burn DVDHere is my case. I have 3 device as below.Device AA: Desktop PCDevice BB: Desktop PC 2017Device CC: Dell inspiron 57XX 2018All with win 10 latest update 10.0.19043, and Asus DVD RW.Before this latest windows update.I success burn the...
  6. Cant play dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant play dvd: I can not play a dvd on my Dynobook laptop no matter what player I use....why is that? Auto play is dead as well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-dvd/d15ac83d-102b-458e-9a44-086bf8f08b15
  7. Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fresh Install: I am building myself I new computer and I want to make sure that I have my key attached to my account so that I can transfer and use it on the new build. How do I go about making sure I can use the same product key on my computer? (The new build is still in the mail)...
  8. Fresh install

Fresh install: If I do a fresh install within windows what will I loose? 113686
  9. Cant do a fresh install - system corrupted

Cant do a fresh install - system corrupted: Hi All, I really messed up my laptop and am hoping someone has some helpful tips. First some history of how I got here. This laptop has been dreadfully slow ever since i upgraded to the Windows 10 update last year. Boot up could take 10 minutes and clicking on anything...
  10. Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode

Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode: Hello Guys, recently i purchased a new laptop that came with win10. The laptop is Lenovo z50-70 Unfortunately my brother managed to download so many viruses, that I decided to do clean Win 10 install. I had no important data on the laptop and I thought it would be...