Windows 10: Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old

Discus and support Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new monitor an LG 24GN50W that works great, but I have an old Dell SE198WFP monitor from an old desktop laying around, so I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DvorakCCCP, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old

Hi,

I have a new monitor an LG 24GN50W that works great, but I have an old Dell SE198WFP monitor from an old desktop laying around, so I decided to try and use the Dell for a second display for workflow. Since it is old, it only has VGA and DVI ports, not HDMI like the LG. I had previously attempted to use two things:

1. A VGA-to-HDMI adapter, and a...
    2. DVI-to-HDMI cable

Neither have worked. I plug them in and the other display isn't found. I'd like to use the old display instead of buying a newer one.

Any ideas guys?

:)

DvorakCCCP, Nov 21, 2020

2. Multiple display resizing

Hi,

Thank you posting on Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are facing an issue with the extending the display on multiple desktops.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Are you using multiple monitors to extend the display or using the multiple desktop screens on a single monitor?
    I would suggest you some steps which you can try resolving this issue.

Follow these steps to update graphics drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

• Search for Display Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the graphics driver and select Update driver software.
    Uninstall and Reinstall the graphics card drivers and check.

Refer:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Note: If you are using the multiple monitors to extend the display then please make sure the resolution of both the monitors are set equally same so that there is no issues with the size or any program or an app.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Multiple display taskbar

Hi Justin,

Let me guide you now on how to set up multiple displays on a Windows 10 computer. You may follow the steps below to configure the correct display settings for your device.

Here are the steps:

• Right-click on your desktop.
    • Select Display settings, then different options will be displayed.
    • You can either choose Duplicate these displays to sync your activities from the original monitor with the second one or
      Extend these displays to be able to do multiple activities using separate displays.
    • After choosing your preferred option, click on Apply.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Mala_S Win User

Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old

1. Can't Do Multiple Display From New Monitor to Old - Similar Threads - Can't Multiple Display

2. Can't display to a monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't display to a monitor: I have Windows 10 and up until COB Monday evening was using a display monitor. Tuesday morning I turned my computer on and not able to attach the monitor. When I hold down the windows symbol + P I receive the message "your PC cannot project to another screen. Try reinstalling...
  3. Can't display to a monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't display to a monitor: I have Windows 10 and up until COB Monday evening was using a display monitor. Tuesday morning I turned my computer on and not able to attach the monitor. When I hold down the windows symbol + P I receive the message "your PC cannot project to another screen. Try reinstalling...
  4. Keep Multiple Monitor Display Arrangement?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keep Multiple Monitor Display Arrangement?: Hi all, Have a challenging one here. I have 2 NVIDIA 1080's with 8 monitors currently plugged invisual arrangement below used for business. Even through there are 10 ports on the back of the cards combined, it appears I can only run 8. On occasion, I want to game on 1...
  5. Display settings not saving with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display settings not saving with multiple monitors: Hi, I have 3 monitors 1. 144hz 1080p monitor my main display 2. 1080p monitor 3. 4k 55" TV as third monitor Every other time I reboot, my display settings reset. I have the resolution on the first 2 monitors set to 1080p, and the third monitor set to 4k native....
  6. Display scaling issue with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display scaling issue with multiple monitors: I'm using my Thinkpad x260 at 125% scaling, and have an external monitor at 100% scaling (both are FHD monitors). If I set the external monitor as the main display, all Windows notifications pop up at the 125% scaling on the external monitor, and are weirdly cut off (not just...
  7. Saving Display Settings For Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Saving Display Settings For Multiple Monitors: All, Didn't really see a copy for this question in the forums when I searched, but if I missed it my apologies. Okay my issue: I have a Surface Book 2 that I frequently will pair with my monitor through the use of a Microsoft Surface Dock. My issue is that I will go to...
  8. Windows Setting for displaying from multiple monitors not saving.

Windows Setting for displaying from multiple monitors not saving.: So, I am working with an HP Pavillion dvt6-6100, Product: LM342AV. I have it running Windows 10 Pro and I am having trouble getting the computer to duplicate screens when I plug in my external monitor. It is only allowing me to show on either the external monitor or the...
  9. Multiple monitor/display setup

Multiple monitor/display setup: I can't find where to set up multiple monitors and how they display/interact? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/multiple-monitordisplay-setup/d41db74d-36a0-49ae-9d6d-8b0f18810509
  10. New monitor, old computer?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New monitor, old computer?: I have an older computer that I haven't updated in a long time. I recently bought a monitor that connects to the computer via DisplayPort or an HDMI. Plugged the DisplayPort cable into the computer and the monitor says no input connected. My guess is the video card is...