Windows 10: Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser

Discus and support Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello I really liked this feature of searching. But now it always shows to open the browser instead of showing results here. How can I set it to show... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by amirshehzad2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser

Hello I really liked this feature of searching. But now it always shows to open the browser instead of showing results here.

How can I set it to show results here?

Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser a918a74e-efa0-4547-9664-59b0107e71a8?upload=true.png

:)

amirshehzad2, Jan 11, 2020

2. Links will not open on Windows 10 and search button not getting displayed on the taskbar.

Hi Patsy,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if search box is disable from taskbar and also there is change in browser settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Which browser are you using on the computer?
    • Are you getting any error message while browsing the web pages?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to enable search bar and also check the web pages issues in the Internet Explorer. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to enable the Search bar.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Then click on Cortana option.

3. Select Show Search box.

4. Check if it helps.

Step 2: Also try to check the issue with Internet Explorer and access the website through it.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type “Internet Explorer” without the quotes on Search bar and click on it.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Search bar and also opening links in the browser, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 11, 2020
  3. Joe Men Win User
    Lumia search button

Hello,
    w10mlumia640

Thank you for posting your query to Microsoft Community. I understand that you would like to suggest some features to the Windows 10 Mobile Operating System, and you would also like to change the default search engine of the Edge browser.

You can submit your feature requests using the
    Feedback Hub
    app. Help us make Windows better by submitting your feedback about Windows and apps by sharing your suggestions or concerns.

To change the default search engine of the Edge browser, follow the steps below:

• Launch the Edge browser.
    • Tap on the ellipsis button (...) to open the context menu.
    • Tap on Settings.
    • Tap on the View advance settings button.
    • Tap on the Change search engine button.
    Hope this helps.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Mark this post helpful if this answers your query.

Joe Men, Jan 11, 2020
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser

Turn Off Web Search Results When Searching My Computer

Hi,

If you are pertaining to the Cortana search web results, you can disable it and improve local search results. Follow the steps below to disable web results:

• Click the search bar.
    • Select the Notebook icon on the left pane of the search bar.
    • From the options, select Settings. (Note: On the later versions of Windows, the Settings button might be outside the Notebook icon.)
    • On the Settings, toggle the Cortana gives me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option to
      Off.
    • On the lower part, turn off the Search online and included web results option as well.

See the image as reference to the above steps:

Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser 7c9e0858-2114-462b-b171-63b6e7d3089d.jpg

After doing the steps, try using search again and see if the web results will now disappear.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser

1. Can't do web search in Windows 10 search button. Tells to open browser - Similar Threads - Can't web search

2. "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" in every web search and every browser.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" in every web search and every browser.: I cannot perform any web search nor in chrome or bing. I always get "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED". I'm able to navigate and perform multiple tasks, but i cannot search. I've restore defeault internet setting, re-installed the network adapter driver, renew ip, flushed dns, etc etc....
  3. "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" in every web search and every browser.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" in every web search and every browser.: I cannot perform any web search nor in chrome or bing. I always get "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED". I'm able to navigate and perform multiple tasks, but i cannot search. I've restore defeault internet setting, re-installed the network adapter driver, renew ip, flushed dns, etc etc....
  4. "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" in every web search and every browser.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why I can't open web search results in Windows 10 search in my default web browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why I can't open web search results in Windows 10 search in my default web browser?: I have Windows 10 Pro version 20H2.My default web browser is Mozilla Firefox.Among search results, I can find Search web results option. After I click on it, Windows offers me to use Microsoft Edge or to search for different app on Microsoft store.Why Windows doesn't allow me...
  6. Can't search the web

in Cortana
    Can't search the web: I tried to search the weather with Bing search and it said 'No results found' Did the web search feature get removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-search-the-web/1430ab93-b385-49dd-81a5-22a12a17ac7b
  7. Web Search in Windows search not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Web Search in Windows search not working: Is anyone having an issue with windows search? Normally when i want to web search something, I type it into windows search and web search it, but for some reason that isn't working for me anymore. Its like Web search in Windows search is just gone now....
  8. no search the web?

in Cortana
    no search the web?: cortana sometimes searches the web when you don't want her to, while apple's siri can let you say "search the web for <subject>" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-search-the-web/efb003a7-5a55-4bda-8968-1e8518fb1b05"
  9. Search is searching the web again

in Windows 10 Support
    Search is searching the web again: I have just noticed that Search on my PC is suddenly searching the web. It didn't used to.I had that disabled. I don't use Cortana, so that is disabled. However, it seems that Microsoft in their incredible persistence to get hold of all my data, has enabled web search again....
  10. Cortana web searches not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana web searches not opening: Does it still do this when you have Microsoft Edge set as your default web browser? Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials Yeah, it still doesn't work.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Open Browser Search Box Cant Open