Windows 10: Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan

Discus and support Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This issue only started happening recently within like the last week. Anytime I try to download a file it gets blocked because "virus scan failed".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/robinreddhood, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan

This issue only started happening recently within like the last week. Anytime I try to download a file it gets blocked because "virus scan failed". This happens with both chrome and edge (I would test with other browsers but I don't have any installed and can't download the installer)

So far I have

-Uninstalled my virus protection (it was a free trial inbetween renewing subscription) so it's just the default windows security

-checked for updates and installed new ones

-in the process of doing a full virus scan (it's gonna take a while but I did one not too long ago and it was clear and I haven't been doing much other than uni stuff since then so im hoping there is no viruses)

Still all file downloads blocked

I've been looking for solutions online but they all are over a year old so I'm not sure they still apply or they are only about chrome and the issue is with edge too.

submitted by /u/robinreddhood
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/robinreddhood, Dec 23, 2020

2. Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

Hi Everyone,

I keep getting the message VIRUS SCAN FAILED when I try and download files from all sites on the internet.

However can download Windows Updates.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcomed.

Thank you in advance,

John

JohnKershaw1, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error: Couldn't download - virus scan failed message when trying to download a program

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, 'Couldn't download - virus scan failed message' when trying to download a program. I'll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the program that you are trying to download?
    • Which browser are you using?
    • Are you able to download any other programs?

I would suggest you to try using a different browser like Microsoft Edge and see if that helps.

If you are receiving this error while using Google Chrome, I would suggest you to refer the section
    "Virus scan failed" or "Virus detected" in the article Fix file download errors
    and see if that helps.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

I would also recommend you to create a system restore point.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 23, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan

Virus Scan ONLY tool?

I was using Malwarebytes to run scans on things I downloaded to make sure they're clean before I run them... but now Malwarebytes wants to run constantly and wants to do virus scans all the time, even though I told it not to (I'll scan a single file then it starts another threat scan on its own).

Are there any good tools that do virus scanning only?

Thema:

Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan

1. Can't download any files cause they all fail the virus scan - Similar Threads - Can't download files

2. Can't download any file due to 'virus scan failed' TRIED EVERYTHING HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't download any file due to 'virus scan failed' TRIED EVERYTHING HELP: Hi guys ! I have had this issue for months and months and feel like nothing seems to work. I haven't been able to download any files photos, pdf's, utility bills everything because I get the issue on every internet browser VIRUS SCAN FAILED. I have spent hours trying to...
  3. Can't download any file due to 'virus scan failed' TRIED EVERYTHING HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't download any file due to 'virus scan failed' TRIED EVERYTHING HELP: Hi guys ! I have had this issue for months and months and feel like nothing seems to work. I haven't been able to download any files photos, pdf's, utility bills everything because I get the issue on every internet browser VIRUS SCAN FAILED. I have spent hours trying to...
  4. Can't download any file due to 'virus scan failed' TRIED EVERYTHING HELP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. all downloads recieve "virus scan failed" message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all downloads recieve "virus scan failed" message: hello,I am currently facing the issue of not being able to dowanload any files. I saw there were several locked threads about it, but none of it seems to help.what I have tried so far following answers on locked threads:1. uninstalling my antivirus - I have no antivirus...
  6. all downloads recieve "virus scan failed" message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all downloads recieve "virus scan failed" message: hello,I am currently facing the issue of not being able to dowanload any files. I saw there were several locked threads about it, but none of it seems to help.what I have tried so far following answers on locked threads:1. uninstalling my antivirus - I have no antivirus...
  7. all downloads recieve "virus scan failed" message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Failed download virus scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Failed download virus scan: I am unable to download programs, updates, photos or other items. When I try I get the message: Failed download virus scan. It is a firewall issue, but I can't override it to download necessary updates from any source. I don't know if this is a Microsoft issue, or a Windows...
  9. CAN'T DOWNLOAD - VIRUS SCAN FAILED - WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN'T DOWNLOAD - VIRUS SCAN FAILED - WINDOWS 10: I have noticed that I am having difficulty downloading certain things such as pictures and some updates, this seems to have started a week ago, although I didn't realise it at the time. I've searched online and tried a couple of things like changing windows update to...
  10. Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED: Hi Everyone, I keep getting the message VIRUS SCAN FAILED when I try and download files from all sites on the internet. However can download Windows Updates. Any suggestions would be extremely welcomed. Thank you in advance, John...