Windows 10: cant download zip files even though 7zip is downloaded

Discus and support cant download zip files even though 7zip is downloaded in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello, I was trying to download a minecraft server from a server hosting site but whenever I click the download button the file doesn't download to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xhephor, Apr 19, 2020.

1. xhephor Win User

cant download zip files even though 7zip is downloaded

hello, I was trying to download a minecraft server from a server hosting site but whenever I click the download button the file doesn't download to a zip file but instead downloads into some other type of file (picture included) and whenever I open the file an error message pops up (picture also included).

:)

xhephor, Apr 19, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

You did try re-adding it to context menu after the reboot/ reinstall as per this post? It doesn't show up otherwise.

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files - Windows 10 Forums

Callender, Apr 19, 2020
  3. ineuw Win User

Well, a number of things happened.

1. Removed, rebooted and reinstalled 7zip.
    2. In 7zip options I selected the preferred extensions to be recognized.
    3. Windows registered these changes and recognized the file. The file properties correctly shows the file type, and so is the 'Open with'. But, it failed to add 7zip access in the context menu, without which one cannot zip a file.
    4. So I uninstalled KB4462919, rebooted and re-installed 7zip and that didn't help either.
    5. Then, Windows update complained about the uninstalled missing security update, and proceeded to reinstalled it along with some other updates.

So now I can unzip, but zipping a file is a complicated process.
    P.S: I forgot to mention that uninstalling the security update also knocked out the browsers. Could not connect with either Cyberfox or Vivaldi.

ineuw, Apr 19, 2020
  4. ineuw Win User

Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files.
    When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently.

sfc /scannow and chkdsk c:/f/v both report everything is OK.

It is not listed in the context menu, where it existed in the past.
    It won't register it through the file properties type selection.
    Not in "Open with".
    I searched the registry, and the extension .zip exists but it does not have an "open with" value.
    How can I correct this?

ineuw, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

1. cant download zip files even though 7zip is downloaded - Similar Threads - cant download zip

2. Downloaded ZIP files not opening and then disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloaded ZIP files not opening and then disappearing: Hi,I am downloading .zip files from a safe source, Slack. When I try to open the file it says Access Denied, and then short while later the file itself just disappears. First I also got a wacatac.b!ml Trojan warning, and resolved it using the answers provided in the thread:...
  3. Downloaded ZIP files not opening and then disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloaded ZIP files not opening and then disappearing: Hi,I am downloading .zip files from a safe source, Slack. When I try to open the file it says Access Denied, and then short while later the file itself just disappears. First I also got a wacatac.b!ml Trojan warning, and resolved it using the answers provided in the thread:...
  4. Downloading a zip file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading a zip file: I purchased turbo tax online and keep getting the error below while trying to install it, what should I do? Thank You! could not write value DefaultTokenId to key...
  5. Unable to open downloaded Zip Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open downloaded Zip Files: Hi all, I recently installed windows 10 on the computer. However, when I download a folder from One Drive web onto my desktop - I am unable to open the file. The error shown is that it is unable to track the location of the Zip folder as per the current location. Please...
  6. Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files: Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files. When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently. sfc /scannow and chkdsk...
  7. downloaded zip files say cant find application

downloaded zip files say cant find application: Can someone please help me. Im getting this message whenever I try to unzip a downloaded file from the internet. Im trying to add to my fonts. This also happens when I download free mixtapes. [img] 53267
  8. Cannot download zip files

Cannot download zip files: Cannot download .zip files, click on them brings up a blank page. 50775
  9. I Can't Download Zip files

in Windows 10 Support
    I Can't Download Zip files: I also cannot edit any of my files. I get messages saying I have to have Admin permissions. I am the Admin. I want to get a web page up and running but if I can't edit files and download zips I'm screwed. Anybody know how fix this? I hate to think I paid $800 for a...
  10. Zip file downloads.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Zip file downloads.: I have been struggling with tweaking my newly restored Win 10. Nearly every set of instructions that I follow is wrong. I am continuously downloading the same program repeatedly. I am doing tasks two or three times before it fully responds. It can't be just me. To...