Windows 10: Can't drag a file from file explorer

Discus and support Can't drag a file from file explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I am trying to upload a file to my accountancy software. the application only lets me drag it over. This month I have found that when I drag the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Perplexed user99, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Can't drag a file from file explorer

Hi

I am trying to upload a file to my accountancy software. the application only lets me drag it over. This month I have found that when I drag the file, I get the egg timer next to the cursor. Whether I wait or release the mouse button the egg timer disappears and file explorer closes.

I have searched for file explorer issues and have deleted my recent items and performed a 'repair' update to windows. The problem is still occurring.

I have also tested by trying to drag a file to the desktop, the same thing happens.

I have a lenovo all in one with the latest version of Windows 10 - 1803 build number 17134.286

cheers

:)

Perplexed user99, Sep 21, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

Hi Lorne,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to perform System File Checker (SFC) scan.

Step 1: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If the issue persist follow the step 2.

Steps 2: You may try to restart Windows Explorer and check if it helps.

• Right click on taskbar.

• Then select task manager.

• Find Windows Explorer process.

• Then Right click on
      Windows Explorer

• Select restart.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Sep 21, 2018
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Sep 21, 2018
  4. Can't drag a file from file explorer

file explorer - cant drag to second window

Hi,

There are several factors that may trigger this issue including your settings or even recent changes to your computer. In order for us to efficiently assist you, we just have few questions
    for you:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say you cannot drag file explorer on the "second Windows", are you referring to a second monitor?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

Can't drag a file from file explorer

1. Can't drag a file from file explorer - Similar Threads - Can't drag file

2. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  3. can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't drag and drop files in file explorer for windows 11: After waking my computer I have to restart it every time to move files like my course books and papers for school. I found some troubleshooting tips online that dealt with the Task Manager, CMD Prompt, and Powershell but none of them fixed the problem. This is anytime my...
  4. I cannot copy or drag a file from file explorer into device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot copy or drag a file from file explorer into device manager: I cannot paste or drag a file into device manager from file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-copy-or-drag-a-file-from-file-explorer/30d6e011-f708-435c-818a-7780d242daa9
  5. I cannot copy or drag a file from file explorer into device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot copy or drag a file from file explorer into device manager: I cannot paste or drag a file into device manager from file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-copy-or-drag-a-file-from-file-explorer/30d6e011-f708-435c-818a-7780d242daa9
  6. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  7. Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly: I was editing a video earlier today and dragged a file from file explorer into Adobe Premiere, but then immediately after it wouldn't let me drag the same file back in when I had deleted it from the timeline I was working on. I thought it was no big deal, just went to the...
  8. File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image: Anytime I drag a file(s) in a folder window, a translucent, oversized icon follows the mouse pointer, partially obscuring up to 4 nearby items. Can this effect be disabled? I'm sure somebody at MS thought it was slick idea, but it just gives me a headache. I haven't found...
  9. Explorer lagging when dragging files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer lagging when dragging files: So I noticed a couple months back that Explorer started lagging when I drag a file anywhere, even within the same window. I click, start to drag, and it immediately lags for about a second or two, then suddenly moves to the spot I indicated. Does it with right-click drags,...
  10. Can't drag File Explorer to second screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag File Explorer to second screen: I cannot drag File Explorer to my second screen. All other programs and files can move between the screens. Help! 70973

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer cant drag file

2. windows 10 cannot drag file from right to left

3. windows explorer cant drag

4. cant drag file explorer window,
  5. cant drag images from file explorer,
  6. cant drag file from explorer,
  7. dual monitor file explorer cannot drag to other screen,
  8. cant drag files in windows explorer,
  9. cant drag files to file explorer