Windows 10: Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop

Discus and support Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Any solutions? I have searched all across google and all the results are related to some 2015 issues like upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10 or needing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mikemessiah, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop

Any solutions?

I have searched all across google and all the results are related to some 2015 issues like upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10 or needing to uninstall Stardock application. None of those issues relate to me.

I am on Windows 10 that came free with my laptop. All fully updated. By the way, this problem started only recently.
    When i have an icon,file,folder etc selected and try to drag it, for a short mili second i see the ghost of the icon,file,folder etc moving along with my pointer, and then it get deselected. There is no problem with my trackpad as i can easily click and drag other things like the scroll bar on this website.

submitted by /u/mikemessiah
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mikemessiah, Dec 23, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

Hi majestic100

I am a bit unclear on your Question, are you trying to move icons around your Desktop, or drag and drop files on your PC?

If you are just trying to move Desktop icons, right click your Desktop, choose View - untick Auto Arrange icons

If you are trying to drag and drop files, what folder are you dragging from and what folder are you dropping into?

DaveM121, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping

The white line suggests you have turned on 'Auto arrange icons'. I have just turned it on and seen some similar 'odd' effects. Try right-clicking on the Desktop and un-ticking View > Auto arrange icons.

Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop [​IMG]

4. Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop

Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping

If I drag and drop an item to the desktop as the last item (see the attached pictures for an example of what I mean) it will not show up on the desktop, I don't even get that little white line showing where the item is going to be placed and regardless of what I do I can't see the item -- not a refresh, not a restart of the computer, etc. -- the only way to see it is to actually browse to the desktop folder in Explorer. If I drag and drop it to any position other than under the last item it will show on the desktop as expected.

This just started happening and I can't think of anything I've done that would have caused it. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thank you!

Maniac9978, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop

1. Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop - Similar Threads - Cant drag drop

2. Can not drag and drop items to file explorer icon in the taskbar since Windows 11 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not drag and drop items to file explorer icon in the taskbar since Windows 11 upgrade.: Just as the subject says. Is there a fix for this or is this feature really removed? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-drag-and-drop-items-to-file-explorer-icon/fa46d4aa-3283-4b78-b147-318f17647a7e
  3. Can not drag and drop items to file explorer icon in the taskbar since Windows 11 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not drag and drop items to file explorer icon in the taskbar since Windows 11 upgrade.: Just as the subject says. Is there a fix for this or is this feature really removed? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-drag-and-drop-items-to-file-explorer-icon/fa46d4aa-3283-4b78-b147-318f17647a7e
  4. Drag and Drop of files onto program icons on desktop not working any more.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drag and Drop of files onto program icons on desktop not working any more.: Since a while I have a most annoying "effect" or rather bug on one of my Windows 10 systems:When I drag and drop a file onto a program's icon on the Windows desktop, then the file is not opened but only moved.i.e. if I - say - drag a text-file picked from the desktop or any...
  5. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  6. Need help. I can't drag and drop any items/folders/files any more!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help. I can't drag and drop any items/folders/files any more!: I didn't update or change anything. I was editing in premiere pro dragging and dropping things into it then suddenly i couldn't anymore. submitted by /u/sonicbuster [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ds9rxd/need_help_i_cant_drag_and_drop_any/
  7. Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping

in Windows 10 Support
    Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping: If I drag and drop an item to the desktop as the last item (see the attached pictures for an example of what I mean) it will not show up on the desktop, I don't even get that little white line showing where the item is going to be placed and regardless of what I do I can't...
  8. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drag and Drop Desktop Icons: Trust this is posted in correct forum...……… I cannot drag and drop desktop icons (?) They always move back. I have researched and tried 1) ESC key option 2) Task Manger explorer.exe option 3) Registry EnableLUA option. None of this worked. I've run sfc /scannow with no...
  9. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....
  10. icons on desktop will not drag

in Windows 10 Support
    icons on desktop will not drag: Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place. I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move. I've...