Windows 10: Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs

Discus and support Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't drag and drop text/images from IE 11 to WordPad or other programs. When I try to do this the cursor changes to a black or red circle with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MUGEN02, Mar 4, 2016.

1. MUGEN02 Win User

Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs

I can't drag and drop text/images from IE 11 to WordPad or other programs. When I try to do this the cursor changes to a black or red circle with a line in it. Drag and dropping in file explorer still works.

:)

MUGEN02, Mar 4, 2016

2. Drag and drop between text fields not working on IE 11, Win 10

No, that doesn't answer the question, either.

I didn't ask how to program a web page. I asked why IE 11 on Win 10, and specifically IE 11 on Win 10, doesn't seem to be able to do what Edge can do...and Chrome and Firefox and even IE 11 on Win 7: The ability to drag text and drop it into a form field.
    Every browser can do this. Even Internet Explorer 11 on Win 7 can do this. It is only IE 11 on Win 10 that has this problem.

And yet, here you are claiming that it only works on IE 9 and earlier. That is simply not true. Once again, I gave explicit instructions on how to replicate the issue. Did you bother to pay attention to them and try?
    This makes twice you've not read the post but decided to answer a completely unrelated question. Thank you for restoring the headline of my post, but you're still not paying attention.

For the third time:

• Go to a page in Internet Explore 11 on Windows 10 that has a form in it with two fields.
    • Enter some text in the first field.
    • Select the text.
    • Try to drag and drop it into the second field.
    You'll find that you can't. Note, you don't even need to have two fields. Just have some plain text on the page, select it, and then try to drag it into one of the text fields. You'll find that you can't.

Now, try this in Chrome: It works. Try this in Firefox: It works. Try this in Edge on Win 10: It works. Try this in IE 11 on Win 7: It works. On top of that, if the page is long, you can drag the item down and the page will scroll so that you can
    get to lower parts of the page to drop it where you want, but not on Internet Explore 11 on Windows 10.

The only browser this doesn't work in is Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10. Is this expected behaviour? Is there no ability to drag and drop items in IE 11 on Win 10? If so, that's a major bug.

Now, will you stop trying to answer something I'm not talking about and pay attention? Again, if I seem snippy and if you feel like you are being treated like a child, it is because of the unprofessionalism you are showing.

BrianPEvans, Mar 4, 2016
  3. unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11

Original title: Drag & Drop

I am using IE 11 on Windows 10 and use a couple web based applications that require uploading PDF documents. Most use drag & drop in addition to browsing for files. I prefer to use drag & drop, but it doesn't seem to be working in IE 11. It works in Chrome,
    so I believe it is a IE 11 issue, rather than Windows. Is there a setting I need to change in order to allow me to drag & drop files from File Explorer to the IE web pages?

Cristy de Garay, Mar 4, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

mine too, so I just copy -past it

caperjack, Mar 4, 2016
  5. MUGEN02 Win User
    That works, but drag and drop is faster. My guess is this has something to do with Microsoft security? For example, when I try to drag and drop a link(Windows 10 forums icon at the top of this site) I get a pop up from windows that says " do you want to allow files from this website to be copied to your computer"

MUGEN02, Mar 5, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    We can argue this for hours but if that is not a function of the system, it will not work. Even if you stand on your head.

7. MUGEN02 Win User
    It worked in windows 7*Sad

MUGEN02, Mar 5, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

it been a few years since I used win7,and all my computer are running win10 so I cant even try it on win7 to see it works ,,, but I don't remember ever being able to drag and drop images ,always had to right click the image and save image as .

caperjack, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Internet Explorer does not allow you to drag and drop files in Windows 10. You might be able to find a browser that does support drag and drop though, but they most likely will not keep the formatting.

AidanGamerdude, Mar 6, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Drag & Drop feature is working fine in my Win 10 Home laptop. IE11 is my default browser.
    As far as I know, the feature never left Windows since I had Windows Vista.

Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Drag & Drop from file explorer to desktop

Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 6, 2016
  12. Yes, you can still drag and drop in Windows explorer. You simply did not read this thread thoroughly. We're talking about drag and drop compatibility in Internet explorer not Windows explorer

AidanGamerdude, Mar 6, 2016
  13. MUGEN02 Win User

I think I found a fix, but someone more knowledgeable should know which setting in the internet options->Security->custom level menu enables drag and drop from IE 11 to wordpad or other program. If I enabled both settings under the miscellaneous tab "allow dragging of content between two domains" but they don't allow the feature I'm talking about.

Current fixbut I wouldn't do it for every site.
    Go to internet options-> Security->Trusted sites->Sites then uncheck require server verification and add the website you want to allow drag and drop of images and text.

MUGEN02, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't drag and drop text/image from IE 11 to Wordpad or other programs - Similar Threads - Can't drag drop

2. drag and drop and other unespected issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop and other unespected issues: a couple a days ago suddenly i couldn t drag and drop files from one to another folder neither using mouse or touchpad . also have problems holding left shift to upper case letters , does not happen to the right shift . i m sure that is not a mouse or keyboard problem cause i...
  3. drag and drop and other unespected issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag and drop and other unespected issues: a couple a days ago suddenly i couldn t drag and drop files from one to another folder neither using mouse or touchpad . also have problems holding left shift to upper case letters , does not happen to the right shift . i m sure that is not a mouse or keyboard problem cause i...
  4. Drag and drop in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop in Windows 11: Why is drag and drop option not working in Windows 11?In Windows 10, I could easily use this option to attach a file in the browser or add a file to taskbar. But in Win 11, this option seems to be disabled....
  5. Can't drag and drop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop: I have done: sfc /scannow DISM CheckHealth and RestoreHealth commands Restarted Windows Explorer Restarted Desktop Window Manager submitted by /u/TheTank18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iinj3x/cant_drag_and_drop/
  6. Huge Icons and Text While Dragging and Dropping

Huge Icons and Text While Dragging and Dropping: [ATTACH] After a crash the other day, upon restart I noticed that whenever I drag and drop a file, the text and icons are abnormally large. I've tried changing resolution and restarting to no avail. I've attached some screenshots of the issue. Any help is appreciated....
  7. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  8. I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10: I make music for a living. I use many different daw's for this. Not too long ago I could drag a sound file from a folder, and drop it into one of my programs. Now when I try to do this I am met with a black circle with a slash through it as soon as I drag the file over the...
  9. Can't drag and drop from Windows search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't drag and drop from Windows search: Hi, I need some help! I was trying to drag and drop an image from the start menu search on to the Desktop but it idn't work! Is there a way to get it working? (It was working on Win8 so thats why I'm asking) Lg David [ATTACH]...
  10. How to drag and drop programs to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to drag and drop programs to desktop: I'm liking 10 the more I use it. However there are a few problems Microsoft has to deal with. In 7 it was easy to copy a program to the desktop. In 10 I've tried for a few hours and I can't seem to copy a program to desktop. In fact when I find a program I want to save to...