Windows 10: Can't drag and drop to Windows 10 guest on VM Workstation

Discus and support Can't drag and drop to Windows 10 guest on VM Workstation in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have been using VMware Workstation with various OS's for a while and think it's great. However with my Windows 10 x64 TP guest, even though I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by 3D Jed, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 3D Jed Win User

Can't drag and drop to Windows 10 guest on VM Workstation

I have been using VMware Workstation with various OS's for a while and think it's great. However with my Windows 10 x64 TP guest, even though I installed VM tools - it's almost like VM tools isn't running. I can't drag and drop files from host to VM desktop, and although USB flash drives say connected, they don't appear in file explorer.

I installed 10 as an 8 VM, if you get my drift, so it's either me doing something stupid or 10 being a bit too new for full Workstation 10 functionality. Have uninstalled/reinstalled VM tools. Any suggestions welcome.

:)

3D Jed, Oct 17, 2014
  2. orjanno Win User

Hyper-v in Win10 Pro - License

Hi,

I'm running a workstation with Windows 10 Pro, and I have installed the Hyper-V feature. Can I use the same license key on the VM/Guest as I have for the physical/host machine?? Or do I need to buy another Win 10 license?

Thanks.

Br

Ørjan Nordvik

orjanno, Oct 17, 2014
  3. Windows 10 bugcheck every few hours with event id 1001

Hi, thanks for the reply. I ran the system file checker as instructed and it stated that no issues were found.

To clarify the hardware:

PC is an Intel NUC5i7RYH

with memory installed HyperX 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3L

and storage of Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD.

This is a new PC with a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro.

To answer your questions:

1/

When the crashes occur the PC was only running a guest VM in VMware Workstation 12. The guest vm had been running for approx 7hours without an issue. The guest vm is hosting a web server only.

When the error occurred the PC shows a blue screen and states that a serious error is being recovered and the PC will then restart. The PC seems to get stuck and does not restart so I power it off.

2/

I have installed one software package called VMware Workstation 12; the latest available version.

I had also installed Avast antivirus but have removed this now to see if this was the problem.

i have updated the Intel NUC bios to the latest available version.

Any ideas?

thanks,Paul

Paul_Edwards72, Oct 17, 2014
  4. essenbe Win User

I'm not sure what to suggest, but I have it installed in VMware and the tools work fine for me. I haven't tried to drag and drop, but I can copy/paste between the 2.

essenbe, Oct 18, 2014
  5. Edwin New Member
    I could only import via thumb drive with WTP in a VM

Edwin, Oct 18, 2014
  6. 3D Jed Win User
    Thanks for replies. I'll post back if I find the solution.

3D Jed, Oct 19, 2014
  7. essenbe Win User
    Jed, would it help if I posted images of my settings?

essenbe, Oct 19, 2014
  8. 3D Jed Win User

Sure, if you would. I'm just using default Windows 8 x64 settings for 10TP, and I have drag + drop and copy + paste checked in Guest Isolation. I have all the prev Windows (from 3.11) in the VMware, most x86, some x64 and the recent ones can drag/drop. I'm a big fan of VMware, so any VM info you got for me is welcome.

Jed, Manchester UK

3D Jed, Oct 19, 2014
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Drag and Drop works fine with mine. However, sometimes you will need to move the mouse back and forth until you see the + sign then release the mouse.

In order to see the external USB, from the Menu: VM->Removable Devices->XXX->connect, XXX is your device
    OR: from the status bar at bottom right, click on the USB Device->connect

topgundcp, Oct 19, 2014
  10. essenbe Win User
    Here are most of the settings, if you need more, just ask.

Can't drag and drop to Windows 10 guest on VM Workstation [​IMG]

essenbe, Oct 19, 2014
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    I have the same problem (since the initial release), but I use the networking utilities thus have no real problems moving files around. VMWare will probably be posting an update once they know the final release date date for win 10.

12. 3D Jed Win User
    @essenbe - my settings are the same as yours. I just tried a 2nd VM install of 10TP and this time I have drag and drop, but not USB pen drive. Guess I'll settle for that. Perhaps I should learn how to share folders in VM.

Since I have a few machines, I was tempted to do a real install, until I read that 10TP doesn't have Media Center, and my boxes double up as HDTV.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies guys.

3D Jed, Oct 20, 2014
  13. strollin Win User

I can drag and drop using VMWare Player without issue. I cannot access a thumb drive however. It sees the thumb drive in settings and lets me select "Connect (disconnect from the host)". It disconnects it from the host but it doesn't show up in the VM. When I disconnect the drive from the VM, it connects back to the host fine.

strollin, Oct 20, 2014
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Double check if VM->Settings->USB Controller->USB Compatibility is set to USB3 then it will not work. You need to set to USB2

topgundcp, Oct 20, 2014
  15. strollin Win User
    Thanks topgundcp, that did the trick. I now see my thumb drive in the VM.

strollin, Oct 20, 2014
Thema:

1. Can't drag and drop to Windows 10 guest on VM Workstation - Similar Threads - Can't drag drop

2. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  3. drag and drop - windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    drag and drop - windows 10: windows 10 pro version 2004 build 19041.630 I've been using program launcher powerpro for 15 or more years with no problems under windows XP and windows 7. PowerPro Now, under windows 10, I'm having a problem with dragging and dropping files from the file manager onto...
  4. Can't drag and drop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop: I have done: sfc /scannow DISM CheckHealth and RestoreHealth commands Restarted Windows Explorer Restarted Desktop Window Manager submitted by /u/TheTank18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iinj3x/cant_drag_and_drop/
  5. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  6. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  7. Windows 10 and Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 and Drag and Drop: Hello, When does drag & drop in Windows 10 (between two folders) copy the file and when does move it? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-drag-and-drop/f0cde1ac-7711-4495-9779-0002e2bd150b"
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  9. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  10. Scanner on VM guest

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Scanner on VM guest: deleted not ready to post 48121

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant drag and drop on hyper v

2. drag and drop files hyper-v vm win 10

3. windows 10 bluescreen vmware copy to guest