Windows 10: Can't edit Hosts file

Discus and support Can't edit Hosts file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In the Path system32/Drivers/etc/hosts - the file does not show up but can be opened with win+r (notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts). When i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KingTarunjot, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Can't edit Hosts file

In the Path system32/Drivers/etc/hosts - the file does not show up but can be opened with win+r (notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts). When i try to edit it i cant save it and when i try to replace it dosent give me permission. the host file has a bunch of video game cheating/hacking websites. i cant change permission and yes i have show hidden files on.

Link to contents of hosts file: https://pastebin.com/rue6jxCM

Laptop(dont think this will help tho): HP ProBook 430 G5

OS name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Education

If theres anything else you need pls reply so i can give you thanks Can't edit Hosts file :)

Can't edit Hosts file 62de233e-b585-4d17-81b2-d9ef10522875?upload=true.png

:)

KingTarunjot, Aug 12, 2019

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Unable to edit Hosts file

Hi,

We would like to ask how are you trying to edit the host file on your computer? Is there any chance that you are doing it via Notepad as administrator? If not, you can try doing the steps below:

• Press the Windows key and search for Notepad.
    • Once Notepad is available, right-click and select Run as administrator.
    • In your Notepad, Click File > Open
      and search for the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
    • You can edit the changes as normal
    • Click File > Save to save your changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Aug 12, 2019
  4. SOISK Win User

Can't edit Hosts file

Unable to edit Hosts file

Step 1. Move file hosts from
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ to
    Desktop.

Step 2. Edit (in Notepad)

Step 3. Save your changes.

Step 4. Move file hosts to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\

SOISK, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Can't edit Hosts file

1. Can't edit Hosts file - Similar Threads - Can't edit Hosts

2. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  3. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  4. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to edit hosts file in 2020?

How to edit hosts file in 2020?: I used to be able to do this, but now nothing I knew to do works. The file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc So what does one have to do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-edit-hosts-file-in-2020/6fbfab0d-f635-4083-b2fa-18eb4b1faec1
  6. I can't edit my hosts file anymore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't edit my hosts file anymore?: I'm trying to redirect domains/IP's in my HOSTS file and I noticed the redirects no longer work. They were missing out of my HOSTS file. I put them back in the hosts file and then Microsoft tells me the hosts file contains a virus then it deletes my shit (or doesn't save it)...
  7. Editing and saving the Hosts file...

Editing and saving the Hosts file...: PS i need help... I am able to edit the hosts file in "etc" folder but when i save it wants to replace the hosts file and save the file as a notepad document. I had ownership before, but i removed it hoping that will solve the issue but it didn't. What is worse is that i...
  8. Can't edit host file

Can't edit host file: I can't edit the hosts file at all. I tried nearly all the solutions I found here, on Youtube and other sites and none of them worked, including the one on notepad and using cmd. I literally can't do anything with the file. I can't copy, I can't move to another location, I...
  9. Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection"

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection": Although I had added the etc folder to my exclusions in my Internet Security settings, Kaspersky messed with my hosts file again. In Admin mode I cannot open it, even copy it to another location - always get the "no permission" message:...
  10. Hosts edit

Hosts edit: I saw a github post about hosts to prevent bad sites Here so i downloaded the file and copy pasted the entire thing to "hosts" and saved it using notepad on desktop and moved it to system32\drivers\etc\hosts and replaced the original.... Since then I'm not able to connect to...