Windows 10: Can't edit mp3 details

Discus and support Can't edit mp3 details in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So recently I decided to build up my music library on my phone, so I also wanted to update some of my music with details (album, artist, etc) but for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diedrichvk, May 7, 2016.

1. Can't edit mp3 details

So recently I decided to build up my music library on my phone, so I also wanted to update some of my music with details (album, artist, etc) but for some reason it won't let me do it even as an admin

So here's what I've done so far:

1. Went to properties
    2. Went to details
    3. Tried to edit "artist" field, but won't allow me

Any solutions?

:)

diedrichvk, May 7, 2016

2. Editing MP3 files' artists' in Windows 10

How do you edit details like artist, etc. in Windows 10 (of an MP3)? I know you right click on properties, then Details tab has all the info but it can't be dited.

QuartzarellaMc, May 7, 2016
  3. Music not showing album artwork on N97...

On the n97, go to the song file, then go to file details. You can edit the info of the song there just like editing in the contacts. Although I can't seem to recall if you can edit album art there. Personally I use a program called TagTuner (for Windows)
    to embed album art and edit details such as song title, artist, album, etc. Itunes as has been said in an earlier post, does not embed information into the mp3 file.

chanchan05, May 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't edit mp3 details

Like this?

Can't edit mp3 details [​IMG]

Normally I use mp3tag (free)

dalchina, May 7, 2016
  5. DooGie Win User
    +1 for mp3tag dalchina. It's an excellent app and user friendly *Smile

DooGie, May 8, 2016
  6. Okay, but that doesn't solve my problem. I mean, I don't mind downloading the program, but is the issue I'm talking about common or are you just not allowed to edit music information without an external program like mp3tag or iTunes?

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  7. ddelo Win User
    MP3TAG is an excellent choice, but regarding your problem, the answer is NO, this NOT normal behavior. You're supposed to be able to edit music info for 'known' (i.e. mp3, flac) types directly from windows explorer.

Dimitri

ddelo, May 8, 2016
  8. Can't edit mp3 details

Alright, so does anyone have some sort of solution? Now that I know it's an actual problem, I'd like to amend it

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
    • Rename the file to something shorter
    • Right click and click properties
    • Uncheck the Read only box at the bottom
    • Click Apply

gijoetech1, May 8, 2016
  9. Okay, that made no sense. Now all of a sudden it's working. The Read-Only box wasn't checked and I didn't rename it. Whatever. It is what it is. I suppose to anyone who has this sort of issue in the future, maybe a good old-fashioned restart will do the trick.

/thread

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if your default for (e.g.) mp3's is Windows Media Player, then editing items in Properties, Details, works. If not, it doesn't.

But if you still wish to use explorer to edit tags and your default player is not WMP, then you can still use what I posted in #2

I noted quite a number of people puzzled about this from at least Win 7- not new to Win 10.

dalchina, May 8, 2016
  11. ddelo Win User
    Just to add to the comment above, not only if the default player is WMP but Groove Music as well, then you're able to edit tags in Windows Explorer.

ddelo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't edit mp3 details

1. Can't edit mp3 details - Similar Threads - Can't edit mp3

2. Can't Edit Details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Edit Details: I opened Proerties > Security in a Windows 11 image file. I am logged on as a User . Usersme_desktop\User has Full Control; at least tick is by Full Control.Go the Details tab and cannot edit any item. Why?Any help please....
  3. Can't Edit Details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Edit Details: I opened Proerties > Security in a Windows 11 image file. I am logged on as a User . Usersme_desktop\User has Full Control; at least tick is by Full Control.Go the Details tab and cannot edit any item. Why?Any help please....
  4. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edit details on MP3: HiPlease advise how to enable editing on an MP3Why is it that some MP3 file's property details can be entered/changed and not others?I've compared one that I can't and one that I can and can't see anything that's different, except the details locked on one and not the...
  5. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edit details on MP3: HiPlease advise how to enable editing on an MP3Why is it that some MP3 file's property details can be entered/changed and not others?I've compared one that I can't and one that I can and can't see anything that's different, except the details locked on one and not the...
  6. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Editing MP3 Properties

Editing MP3 Properties: When editing a File Name in an MP3 file, the system deletes the Title property. When editing any property in a group of files, the system deletes all Title values. This is a new problem since the last update. I have over nearly 200,000 MP3 files and have been editing...
  8. Can't edit FLAC details in properties

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't edit FLAC details in properties: I just downloaded some FLAC files and I need to edit their properties, but each time I fill out the details tab and hit "Apply" or "OK" it doesn't apply changes and wipes the details. I did download them from a .torrent file using qbittorrent, so that might have something to...
  9. MP3 file property details

MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"
  10. Can't edit mp3 tags from explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't edit mp3 tags from explorer: I'm having a trouble while I try to edit mp3 tags from windows explorer... I don't know why I can't now, I reinstalled windows but I've always was able to edit things such as album or even give the song 5 stars. [ATTACH] That's how how it should be seen, but it doesn't...