Windows 10: Cant Edit or Write to Registry

Discus and support Cant Edit or Write to Registry in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been working with windows 10 X64 PRO for a little bit now. I can still not figure out why my scripts (.vbs) or .exe that I push to or use on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Couchcommander, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Cant Edit or Write to Registry

I have been working with windows 10 X64 PRO for a little bit now. I can still not figure out why my scripts (.vbs) or .exe that I push to or use on my domain machines will not edit or create keys in the registry. The only way i can do it is to full kill UAC then reboot then make changes then turn it back on then reboot again. Listed below our the UAC settings we have set for our select few windows 10 machines. We have UAC fully off in windows 7, but it is needed in windows 10 to have apps run. So i am kinda stuck in the middle.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000
    "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser"=dword:00000000
    "EnableInstallerDetection"=dword:00000000
    "EnableLUA"=dword:00000001
    "EnableSecureUIAPaths"=dword:00000000
    "EnableUIADesktopToggle"=dword:00000000
    "EnableVirtualization"=dword:00000001
    "PromptOnSecureDesktop"=dword:00000001
    "ValidateAdminCodeSignatures"=dword:00000000
    "FilterAdministratorToken"=dword:00000000
    "NoConnectedUser"=dword:00000003
    "MSAOptional"=dword:00000001
    "SoftwareSASGeneration"=dword:00000001

Can you guys help figure out what i need to do so i can make registry change on the fly. This going to be a big deal breaker for us to move to Windows 10 if i can not change values. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you

:)

Couchcommander, Feb 16, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Feb 16, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 16, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Cant Edit or Write to Registry

By design in Vista and later only an elevated admin or system account can write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or it's subkeys. In Windows 7 disabling UAC would give an admin account such rights but not in Windows 10.

You need to run the script with elevated admin rights.

The settings could probably be made with group policy. That is beyond my experience.

LMiller7, Feb 16, 2016
Thema:

Cant Edit or Write to Registry

1. Cant Edit or Write to Registry - Similar Threads - Cant Edit Write

2. Is it safe to edit registry?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to edit registry?: HelloI wanted to change the size of my taskbar icons in Windows 7 to a custom size, but for that I needed to edit the registry and so I am not sure if it is safe to do so. I found from a website that to set a custom size of icons on the taskbar, u need to edit the HKEY_USERS...
  3. Saving Registry Edits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Registry Edits: Hi,I want to set the Numlock key to automatically turn on at the Windows 10 login page, even after signing out or shutting down and rebooting. The device I want to change this setting for is the Dell Latitude 5511 ST: 9WGMZ53.In the registry editor, I tried edit...
  4. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing the registry: I migrated from win7 to win10 using the in-place method MS recommends. But as a result of that the registry is full of entries for programs that were removed years ago. What I want to do is just remove them; edit them out. I know the best way to remove them is to begin again...
  5. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Editing the registry: I need to edit the registry to remove/expunge residual program entries after an un-install and clean-up. Background I upgraded from win7 to win10, and noted that installed apps several versions of VideoStudio failed on the 2nd and subsequent execution on win10. I've...
  6. Cannot write to Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot write to Registry: I have a program that needs to make entries in HKCU Software VB and VBA Program Settings. It is unable to. I am the Administrator. How can I get access to the Registry? Thanks, Murray...
  7. Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Edit: I deleted something from registry edit. Im not too sure what, it was along the lines of Tab- or Tablet- because i was going through getting rid of anything that could be causing errors for my new tablet drivers. But now im getting a flashing screen, and white icons (or no...
  8. registry editer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry editer: the only place I can find it is in system configuration, under tools and cannot remove it!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-editer/26358bbd-5cec-46d7-bab8-36f6bc7afb9f
  9. Installer unable to write to registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installer unable to write to registry: I'm trying to install an older version of MYOB accounting software, which I was previously able to install on Win7 Pro by running the installer in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode, using an account with administrator privileges. I'm running Win10 Pro 64b with UAC...
  10. Cannot edit registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot edit registry: Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have done, but it still won't let me edit anything, the same error message pops up as before. Can anyone help please? 103715