Windows 10: Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.

Discus and support Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I can't seem to edit permissions for a folder despite being told that I have ownership of said folder. I'm on my administrator account, the security... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr. JayJay, May 29, 2020.

1. Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.

I can't seem to edit permissions for a folder despite being told that I have ownership of said folder.

I'm on my administrator account, the security properties for the folder look like this:

Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership. ac0b5ae3-8a54-4dab-8f12-03aab0fb5599?upload=true.png

If I click "Change permissions" or "Change owner" everything greys out and I'm unable to do anything:

Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership. 10653515-187c-45e6-8d33-ad02bbaa797f?upload=true.png

It's a game installation folder from the Microsoft Store but I want to copy over files I had backed up into it, but I keep getting the "not enough disk space" error, which just sounds like a fishy way to be told "You don't have write access."

:)

Mr. JayJay, May 29, 2020

2. Ownership editing

Hi BalázsBiró,

Before you can modify or edit file permissions, you should take ownership of them. Even though you are logged on as an Administrator, you can't change files that don't belong to you. The Program Files folder is set to the Trusted Installer group and the
    Administrator doesn't have the rights to change anything. Here are the steps to claim all the files and folders:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click on Program Files > Properties.
    • Select Security tab > Advanced.
    • Click Change link in line with the Owner.
    • Select Administrators.
    • Put a check mark in Replace owner on subcontainers & objects.
    • Click Apply and wait until it finish then click OK
      on all boxes to close everything.

Now that you own the files, you have to give yourself permission to modify them:

• Follow steps 1, 2, 3 above.
    • Select Change Permission.
    • Go to Administrators (any entry) > Edit.
    • Change the Apply To drop down box to
      This Folder, Subfolder & Files
    • Put a check in Full Control under Allow column then
      OK
    • Click Apply and wait until it finish. The dialog boxes may hide behind the Explorer window. Minimize it and click
      OK on all the the dialog boxes.
    • Reboot PC.

Let us know how it goes, we'll be glad to assist you further.

Jennifer Bri, May 29, 2020
  3. slance310 Win User
    Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Hi,

When you take\change Ownership, the is a box to check right under where the Owner is listed to apply to folders and subfolders...

You may have missed that step... I will include the steps I use for this...

Use at your own risk...

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click "CHANGE" next to Owner at the top of the window...

Select...

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

4) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

5) Hit "Apply"

Close out of all of the open windows and start over with the Advanced button...

1) select "ADD" near the bottom

2) select "Select A Principal" at the top...

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) Give the new user\owner full permissions...

7) Do Not check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

8) Select "Apply"...

slance310, May 29, 2020
  4. xBruce88x Win User

Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership. :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.

1. Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership. - Similar Threads - Can't edit permissions

2. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't edit exe file permissions: So I wanted to add Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate bought from Xbox app to Steam, I located the MK11.exe file and tried adding it and got a popup message telling I don't have rights. So, I logged in to Built-In administrator account and tried editing permissions from there, but i...
  3. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit exe file permissions: So I wanted to add Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate bought from Xbox app to Steam, I located the MK11.exe file and tried adding it and got a popup message telling I don't have rights. So, I logged in to Built-In administrator account and tried editing permissions from there, but i...
  4. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows cannot access file despite having permissions?

Windows cannot access file despite having permissions?: Im having trouble with a file, windows claims it cannot access the file location, but the shortcut has its path, all users on the computer have full control over the file and the folder its in, and all anti virus is off. is there anything else I can do?...
  6. Windows cannot access file despite having permissions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access file despite having permissions?: Im having trouble with a file, windows claims it cannot access the file location, but the shortcut has its path, all users on the computer have full control over the file and the folder its in, and all anti virus is off. is there anything else I can do?...
  7. Windows cannot access file despite having permissions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I want to block youtube, but do not have admin permission to edit, despite logging in as admin

I want to block youtube, but do not have admin permission to edit, despite logging in as admin: I want to block youtube. I have attempted to follow this process: 1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc 2. Double-click hosts, and select Notepad when Windows prompts you to choose a program. 3. Place the cursor at the end of the...
  9. File Ownership, and Permissions

File Ownership, and Permissions: So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files. The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a...
  10. Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?: Hi. I was messing around with the "permissions" under the properties, security, permissions area. I seem to have lost access to everything on my computer, even on my administrative accounts. When I try to click "change owner" it freezes now. When I try to reset my PC, it...