Windows 10: Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use

Discus and support Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows will not allow me to eject my Samsung D# external hard drive. When I right go to the system tray and click/eject it always gives the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chris Nicola, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use

Windows will not allow me to eject my Samsung D# external hard drive. When I right go to the system tray and click/eject it always gives the error "This device is in use. Close any programes that are using the device then try again. Actually I am not using the drive. The only way I can remove the drive is to turn off the computer or unmount the drive from Disk management which is very annoying.

How can I fix this error? I have copied the event viewer log below, but have no idea how to solve the problem. Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Event viewer log:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date: 18/08/2020 17:29:14

Event ID: 225

Task Category: 223

Level: Warning

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: Chris-PC

Description:

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.4-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 5116 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_04E8&PID_6126\00000000011E0A49.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />

<EventID>225</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>223</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-08-18T14:29:14.1063181Z" />

<EventRecordID>11987</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="9244" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Chris-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ProcessId">5116</Data>

<Data Name="ProcessNameLength">97</Data>

<Data Name="ProcessName">\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.4-0\MsMpEng.exe</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceInstanceLength">38</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceInstance">USB\VID_04E8&amp;PID_6126\00000000011E0A49</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

:)

Chris Nicola, Aug 18, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Have you tried connecting different external drive?

• Do you face the same issue with different external drive?

As a work around , I suggest you to connect different external drive to your system and check whether will you get the option to Eject from File explorer or not.

And also try connecting same external drive to different system and check if the issue persist.

Reply with necessary information so that can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use

how eject external drive

Where is "eject external drive" located and is it really necessary?

RichardAMold, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use

1. Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use - Similar Threads - Can't Eject External

2. Can't eject external drive "In Use"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject external drive "In Use": Hi All,believe me, I researched and tried all kinds of things, but ...Eject savely my external Seagate drive ... allways rejected ... "is currently in use".I restarted explorer in Task Manager...disabled indexing ... used Sysnative Process Explorer with the resultshowing...
  3. Can't eject external drive "In Use"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject external drive "In Use": Hi All,believe me, I researched and tried all kinds of things, but ...Eject savely my external Seagate drive ... allways rejected ... "is currently in use".I restarted explorer in Task Manager...disabled indexing ... used Sysnative Process Explorer with the resultshowing...
  4. Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use: Hello, After I connect my external disk to my HP Z4 G4 business desktop, I cannot safely remove / eject it anymore. Windows 11 says "Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI - This device is currently in use." Also after I click the safely remove button 100 times. It happens even...
  5. Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use

Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use: Hello, After I connect my external disk to my HP Z4 G4 business desktop, I cannot safely remove / eject it anymore. Windows 11 says "Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI - This device is currently in use." Also after I click the safely remove button 100 times. It happens even...
  6. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  7. Can't eject my external hard drive

Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  8. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  9. EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY

in Windows 10 Customization
    EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY: When I try to eject the external drive from my laptop, I get the following message: "This device is currently in use. Close any program or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I tried to clear the message by checking over and over if any program or...
  10. Can't eject external hard drive!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...