Windows 10: Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

Discus and support Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dalia Hesham, May 26, 2023.

1. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?

:)

Dalia Hesham, May 26, 2023

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 26, 2023
  3. Asmeet007 Win User
    Problem ejecting hard disk

Hi

I have been using my laptop for 2 years now

And I have an external hard disk I was even using that for a while now on my computer

But recently when I plugged in my hard disk and after using it when I clicked on eject

This message poped up

The application\device\harddiskvolume3\windows\system32\searchindexer.exe is preventihg this device from being stopped. Close the applicatian and then try to stop the device again.

After that I thought it's a virus so in the evening I purchased an antivirus software and scanned the hard disk and dint even used it dint opened any folder from that hard disk after the scan was completed I again rejected the hard disk but same message
    appeared

I even tried few more methods of ejecting it but same message kept on popping up

And after ejecting manually I was using my computer and after a while I face a blue screen

With a code : kernel_mode_heap_corruption

What should I do

Is it a malware?

Asmeet007, May 26, 2023
  4. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

Windows10 randomly refuses to safely eject external disks

Hello there,

More than 11 months ago I expose in these forums some problems in Windows10.

One of them is the denial to safely eject external disks.

Here is what happens: I connect one of my external disks to my pc, then I move/copy/delete/edit/view some files, and later, after closing EVERYTHING, Windows10 refuses to safely eject my disk. It replies, "Windows can't stop your 'Volume' device because
    a program is still using it
    ".

Windows doesn't tell me what program is employing my drive. And I know for sure there is nothing employing it.

That issue happens randomly. I mean, sometimes I can safely eject the disk, and sometimes I cannot.

Today I downloaded from Microsoft the app named "procexp64.exe" which showed me what is employing my external disk.

And, they are Windows processes only!

Let's say my disk's root ID is "M:\"

The Process Explorer found:

• Four "system" processes with open files in M:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf.........
    • Two "explorer" processes with open directory M:\

Hence, Windows doesn't allow me to safely eject my external disk because Windows forgot it was itself the one using my disk!

Almost 1 year has passed, and the issue still persists.

Annoying!

Turritopsis, May 26, 2023
Thema:

Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

1. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use - Similar Threads - Can't eject External

2. Can't eject external drive "In Use"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject external drive "In Use": Hi All,believe me, I researched and tried all kinds of things, but ...Eject savely my external Seagate drive ... allways rejected ... "is currently in use".I restarted explorer in Task Manager...disabled indexing ... used Sysnative Process Explorer with the resultshowing...
  3. Can't eject external drive "In Use"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject external drive "In Use": Hi All,believe me, I researched and tried all kinds of things, but ...Eject savely my external Seagate drive ... allways rejected ... "is currently in use".I restarted explorer in Task Manager...disabled indexing ... used Sysnative Process Explorer with the resultshowing...
  4. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use: Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?...
  5. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  6. Can't eject my external hard drive

Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  7. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  8. Can't eject external hard drive!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working: I backed up my File History and did a backup with the link "create a system image" on an external hard drive. I closed all my programs, then tried to "eject" the external drive. I tried many times and got a message that said it is still in use. I finally just unplugged it...
  10. Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't eject external hard drive because computer says it is still working: I backed up my File History and did a backup with the link "create a system image" on an external hard drive. I closed all my programs, then tried to "eject" the external drive. I tried many times and got a message that said it is still in use. I finally just unplugged it...