Windows 10: Can't enable Location, to get Cortana to work?

Discus and support Can't enable Location, to get Cortana to work? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I was hoping this would get fixed, as I'm assuming its a bug. However, few months into use and its still not working - so thought I'd give here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by youradds, Jul 29, 2016.

1. youradds Win User

Can't enable Location, to get Cortana to work?

Hi,

I was hoping this would get fixed, as I'm assuming its a bug. However, few months into use and its still not working - so thought I'd give here a go *Smile Cortana complains that it needs access to my location to work (really not sure why!)

So, going into Location settings:

Can't enable Location, to get Cortana to work? [​IMG]

As you can see, its greyed out. Pressing "Change" (to enable it), looks like its trying to do something - but nothing opens.

Surely its clever enough to know that its on a PC, and doesn't stuff like GPS?

Thanks in advance

Andy

:)

youradds, Jul 29, 2016

2. Enable Hey Cortana feature in Windows 10

Original title: Windows 10, Cortana, can't "allow" location

So I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 700 11 with Windows 10. When I click on Cortana and try to fully enable it, the prompt to allow location comes up but when I click "allow", nothing happens. The prompt doesn't go away. When I click "No Thanks", it seems to
    disable Cortana completely.

Also, when I go to Cortana's options, I see nothing anywhere about enabling the Hey Cortana feature.

JeremiahBoeninger, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Setting on Cortana doesn't appear?

i mean, on search box i can't go to setting to enable cortana

ya... my location in the list of region where cortana supported, in the US

but, when i change language pack to japanese, i can click the box, but can't active cortana

sorry for my bad english

RianSeptiadi, Jul 29, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Hi Andy.....Open Settings bottom right hand corner and click on "Location" rectangle in bottom corner so that it lights up.
    Then you can check if in use by using same method as you posted.

Cortana uses your location to advise which is the nearest shop, restaurant, product or whatever in answer to your inquiry or request for info.

dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  5. youradds Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm being dumb.. but where is this "Settings" part? Bottom right-hand corner of the screen? (i.e the time section)

Thanks!

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Click as shown on attachment as shown to reveal "Location" tab.

dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  7. youradds Win User
    Ah cool, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately it shows greyed out for me though *Sad

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Click on it to light it up.

dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  9. youradds Win User
    Doesn't do anything *Wink (same greyed out, as "Tablet mode"... as obviously this is a PC, not a mobile phone/tablet)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Andy

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
  10. dencal Win User
    Is Cortana switched on?....open Settings and in box at top find a setting type Cortana.
    A separate menu will appear on left side where you can do your preferred setup.

dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  11. youradds Win User
    Hi,

The problem always seems to come back to Location not being enabled *Sad

Click on "Allow", and it doesn't do anything. So frustrating *Sad The most annoying part... is that it worked fine when I originally did the upgrade! At some point it must have broken, as one day I went to use it - and it said I didn't have location enabled.

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  13. youradds Win User

Hi,

Thanks for continuing to try, and still no joy *Sad

I run the .reg file here: Windows 10 Help Forums

It asked me if I wanted to run it, to which I said yes... so it should have done the update.

So frustrating :S

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
  14. dencal Win User
    Might be worthwhile performing a scannow if you have not already done one.....to check the registry is not faulty
    Right click on winkey (bottom left on taskbar) and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and copy paste the following.

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let run.

dencal, Jul 29, 2016
  15. youradds Win User
    Hi,

Here is the output:
    Cheers

Andy

youradds, Jul 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't enable Location, to get Cortana to work? - Similar Threads - Can't enable Location

2. I can't enable Cortana

in Cortana
    I can't enable Cortana: Hi,I have tried the following to get Cortana to work 1uninstalled and reinstalled Cortana2 ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth3 ran sfc /scannowStill, I get “Cortana is disabled, To use Cortana, you need to get permission your administrator“ error.There is no...
  3. I cannot enable or get Cortana to work with IFTTT

in Cortana
    I cannot enable or get Cortana to work with IFTTT: I have linked the turn meross on/off applets with IFTTT and they work fine when tested with the button widget, and the Cortana service is enabled on IFTTT. But I've tried with no luck to get the IFTTT skill enabled on Cortana and I've tried asking different things like turn...
  4. enable Cortana

in Cortana
    enable Cortana: I cannot get Cortana to change and open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-cortana/ea55e2d4-433c-4259-95f6-07586c39d704"
  5. Can't enable "Hey Cortana"

in Cortana
    Can't enable "Hey Cortana": Hello, I want to enable "Hey Cortana". When I go to the setting and click 1. Check Microphone - It opens up the Cortana search window [IMG] 2. I try to turn on the Hey Cortana - toggle, it toggles back to off. 3. I tried to Troubleshoot the microphone and it didn't...
  6. Cortana's Location

in Cortana
    Cortana's Location: I live in NE PA and Cortana gives me weather and movies for places in MD. How is that useful for me. A user should opt for inserting a current Zip code or location for this information otherwise you have written a useless software for a user!!...
  7. Use Cortana without location enable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Cortana without location enable: Are there anyways I can use Cortana without enable location ? Because when I enable my location it low by batteries life a lot *Sad 46112
  8. I can't get Cortana to start/work

I can't get Cortana to start/work: I can't get Cortana to start/work - just says it's disabled for my area UK, UK english - time zone London - what's going on here? 17895
  9. Location not working- Cortana not available

Location not working- Cortana not available: Hi, discovered I can't turn on 'Location'. 1. I can click the 'Change' button in Privacy, Location, but nothing happens. ('Location is off' is displayed) 2. 'Location' is greyed out in the Action Centre 3. The Network Location Service is running (I've tried stopping,...
  10. Cortana location enable slows wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cortana location enable slows wifi: I have a brand new HP laptop with 8gig of ram, and noticed that with cortana location enabled my wifi speeds slow way down especially since the last windows update. Has anyone else noticed this since the latest windows 10 update which was suppose to update cortana? 25593