Windows 10: Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT

Discus and support Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Converted to gpt UEFI, got an error "failed to update reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable winre".Can't enable it, first because it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanTheFryingPan, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT

Converted to gpt UEFI, got an error "failed to update reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable winre".Can't enable it, first because it couldn't find files, then I extracted winre.wim out of a fresh installation .iso and put it in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and still nothin.Thankfully I was able to boot but the boot took so long I thought I bricked the computer sometimes it would show the 'loading dots' and sometimes it's just a black screen.Bios is setup for UEFI mode.Recovery partition is created and properly id'd and recognised.Currently reagentc gives me an error b7. Th

:)

DanTheFryingPan, Mar 2, 2024

2. Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT

Converted to gpt (UEFI), got an error "failed to update reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable winre".

Can't enable it, first because it couldn't find files, then I extracted winre.wim out of a fresh installation .iso and put it in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and still nothin.

Thankfully I was able to boot but the boot took so long I thought I bricked the computer (sometimes it would show the 'loading dots' and sometimes it's just a black screen).

Bios is setup for UEFI mode.

Recovery partition is created and properly id'd and recognised.

Currently reagentc gives me an error b7. That's it.

How do I enable reagentc?

DanTheFryingPan, Mar 2, 2024
  3. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Mar 2, 2024
  4. antares Win User

Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT

No Recovery Partition

Hi cereberus, after running the reagentc/info command it says "Windows RE Status: disabled". So then you suggest enabling it. Will enabling it create the recovery partition? Any risk doing this? I thought the recovery partition is useful in cases that the OS is not starting up. UPDATE: Found these steps outlined by JoeR in the forum to create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10

antares, Mar 2, 2024
Thema:

Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT

1. Can't enable recovery partition after conversion to GPT - Similar Threads - Can't enable recovery

2. Can't enable winre after conversion to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable winre after conversion to GPT: Converted to gpt, got an error "failed to update reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable winre".Can't enable it, first because it couln't find files, then I extracted winre.wim out of a fresh installation .iso and put it in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and...
  3. Can't enable winre after conversion to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable winre after conversion to GPT: Converted to gpt, got an error "failed to update reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable winre".Can't enable it, first because it couln't find files, then I extracted winre.wim out of a fresh installation .iso and put it in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and...
  4. Can't enable winre after conversion to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. MBR to GPT Conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT Conversion: ASUS is telling me I need to convert my hard drive from MBR to GPT in order for the TPC to correctly show active and attestation ready. Not a clue what they are talking about. My question is if I do the conversion will it affect my programs and documents? Is their...
  6. MBR to GPT Conversion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT Conversion: ASUS is telling me I need to convert my hard drive from MBR to GPT in order for the TPC to correctly show active and attestation ready. Not a clue what they are talking about. My question is if I do the conversion will it affect my programs and documents? Is their...
  7. MBR to GPT Conversion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  9. W 10 trouble with arranging partitions after conversion to GPT

W 10 trouble with arranging partitions after conversion to GPT: Windows 10 Pro N, v.1909 (build from OS 18363.836) I own a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop since 2012, of which I have exchanged the 550 GB HDD with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD of 500GB by the end of last year. All without a hitch. At the time of this swap, the experts advised me to...
  10. Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.: Hi Guys, May I request your kind assistance or help to recover my deleted/lost partition. I have a lot of important files like documents and pictures that I need to recover *Sad. Please help me guys. Please see the screenshot before the converstion happened. Kind...